It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The Dudleys who would eventually settle in Dudleytown can trace their roots to William Dudley, who was born in Richmond, Surrey, England on September 11, 1608. His son, also named William, was born aboard a ship headed for America on June 8, 1639. William II’s son, Joseph, was born in Saybrook, Connecticut on September 14, 1674.
Joseph Dudley of Saybrook had 12 children, three of which would eventually settle in Dudleytown: Gideon (born 1706), Abiel (born 1710), and Barzillai (born 1725). (ghostvillage)
Ms. Colson explained that the Blue Trail or the Mohawk Trail had been designated State "Greenways" to try and protect them from disappearing. These trails have existed since 1929 and were former trails of the native Americans and colonists. Dorothy Russ reported that one of her neighbors located within the required notification area had not received one notice of any of these Public Hearings. Ms. Russ stated that she had walked the trail as a child and that there are old stone walls eight to ten feet high along the trail. Commission members asked Ms. Colson about relocating trails. Ms. Colson stated that relocating trails along roads takes away from the hiking experience, but it is possible.
Life in Dudleytown was not very different from the lives others led in 18th and 19th century Cornwall. True, the land was only sufficient, the roads poor, and the big farms in Cornwall Hollow and on Cream Hill were richer by far. Still stories from that time tell of a peaceful existence, troubled only by poor land and, by 1810, by the departure of younger sons, then families, for better lives out west. The call to migrate reduced the population of Dudleytown to a few families who, by the end of the 19th century still lived in that remote hillside.
Harriet Clark, who lived to be 103 and left many memories of Cornwall, recalled seeing a few tumbledown houses in Dudleytown in the 1930’s. Her family had relations who had lived there and left letters and memories from which this essay is drawn. Harriet remembered that someone leased and cleared some land in South Dudleytown in the 1940’s for grazing but the place was soon covered with wild blueberries which the townspeople hiked up to pick.
Dudleytown became a hard place to make a living. After World War II, summer visitors acquired land nearby and built new homes. The area remains remote, not served by good roads, a place of cellar holes, old lilac bushes and underbrush.
Ah that right there in itself may be enough to have the immediate area a highly active source of paranormal activity. Especially if the spirit is still angry.
Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by NephraTari
Good call, darling. Here's what I found (I'm a fast digger.)
1. Elias Boudinot. 1802-1839
He was a Cherokee leader and attended boarding school in Cornwall. He was stabbed to death in the Cherokee Nation.
LINK I know wiki isn't a prestine source, but it worked out.
The Wendigo (also Windigo, Weendigo, Windago, Windiga, Witiko, Wihtikow, and numerous other variants) is a mythical creature appearing in the mythology of the Algonquian people. It is a malevolent cannibalistic spirit into which humans could transform, or which could possess humans. Those who indulged in cannibalism were at particular risk, and the legend appears to have reinforced this practice as taboo.
Dudleytown has long been revered as being haunted. CPRS has conducted several investigations at this location through the years producing some interesting results. However; much more research needs to be done if we are to find conclusive evidence of the existence of paranormal activity. We are encouraged by the photos and information that we have gotten so far, but we would love to be given the opportunity to do further research. Unfortunately, given the current circumstances, it looks as though that is an extremely remote possibility.
To reiterate, Dudleytown is located on private property. It is not open to the public. We do not recommend that anyone try to go there because you will be subject to a fine or arrest. Because of our respect for the privacy of the residents of DEF and the preservation of the land, CPRS will not offer maps or directions to this location. Below we have provided a public statement released by Dark Entry Forest, Inc. of Connecticut in 2001.
Dark Entry Forest, Inc.
P.O. Box 259
Cornwall Bridge, CT 06754-0259
Please release this on October 15, 22 & 29, 2001.
Dark Entry Forest, Inc. is privately owned land, which is posted thoroughly with “No Trespassing” and “No Parking” signs on all roadways leading into the area known as Dudleytown. Dudleytown is not on state property, nor is it in a state forest; therefore this property is not open to the public.
The Connecticut State Police and Department of Environmental Protection Officers will continue to patrol and strictly enforce all trespassing and illegal parking laws and regulations. The owners of Dark Entry Forest, Inc. will seek the arrest and prosecution of all trespassers to the full extent of the law. Additionally, parking is prohibited on the roads leading into Dark Entry Forest and owners will be ticketed and vehicles will be towed should they be blocking vehicular traffic and/or driveways.
This year Law Enforcement Officers have been summoned 79 times to the Dark Entry Forest area, resulting in arrests for criminal trespass, disorderly conduct, illegal parking and littering. We will also assist the police by obtaining vehicle registration numbers and photographing them for evidence in citizen complaints.
Dark Entry Forest, Inc. regrets having to take these measures, but we are dedicated to the preservation of our fragile woodlands, as well as our own peace and tranquility.
In conjunction with this News Release, the Connecticut Forest and Parks Association will close a section of the Mohawk Trail to the public for seven days, from the Dark Entry Road entrance to the Cornwall Village entrance, beginning Saturday, October 27. The trail will re-open Monday, November 5, 2001.
Letter and DEP forms from Dark Entry Forest, Inc.
Karl has determined that Cook Road is an abandoned town road which is now a driveway. Someone has purchased property on Cook Road and plans to construct a dwelling there. The town only has jurisdiction on the driveway which is on his property off Cook Road. It is an existing lot and the owner has a right of way on Cook Road. There is a vernal pool adjacent to Cook Road, which is a wetlands issue more than a zoning issue. Residents of the Dark Entry Forest Assoc. have submitted Special Animal Survey Forms to DEP reporting the spotting of an Eastern Ribbon Snake and an Eastern Box Turtle in that vernal pool. No action is necessary by the Commission; this item was presented for informational purposes only.