It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF authors on Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
As I was learning my way around Facebook, I ran into a number of conventions that I've attended in the past -- AND -- a number of authors I've met and liked at these cons.

Now... I'm a Southerner, so most of these are folks I've met at cons here in the South. I'll add to these as I run across more authors -- and I hope folks will add to this.

In no particular order (except the order in which I found them)

Mercedes Lackey (longtime fan of hers, like her music, too!) :
www.facebook.com/pages/Mercedes-Lackey/31148143833

Pat Elrod (P.N. Elrod... really bad photo of a really fun author):
www.facebook.com...

Bev Hale (gaming author)
www.facebook.com...

Brad Sinor:
www.facebook.com...

Brad Foster (well, he's not REALLY an author unless you count early b&w comic books, but he's a great person and a truly unique artist):
www.facebook.com...

Elin Winkler-Suarez (publisher, Radio Comics, author of a number of comic book scripts, cosplay expert, one of the Usual Crowd at Project Akon):
www.facebook.com...

Dusty Rainbolt (writes about cats. Actually, that doesn't even BEGIN to cover it. Wacky sense of humor)
www.facebook.com...

Katherine Eliska Kimbriel (writer, shamanistic practitioner, very sweet person)
www.facebook.com...

Julia K. Mandala (one of the 4 Redheads of the Apocalypse. No, really!)
www.facebook.com...

Lee Killough (fellow anthropologist, writer of one of the FINEST books any writer can own: CHECKING ON CULTURE)
www.facebook.com...

Martha Wells (Nebula nominated author)
www.facebook.com...

Rie Sheridan (always lively, quite an entertainer and storyteller! Sweet Talkin' Rose in Mafia Wars)
www.facebook.com...

Selina Rosen (Yard Dog Press. I'm not sure ANYBODY can explain Selina. Side order of "weirder than most people on the planet", funny, would give her last nickel to a stranger, warmhearted... and... uhh... Selina. If you know her, you know what I mean.)
www.facebook.com...

Mel. White (author, artist, cartoonist, filker -- Don Coyote Blanco in Mafia Wars)
www.facebook.com...

Also on there from the Southern Author Pack (but I can't get to an ID):
Darlene D. Bolesny

More as I find 'em.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Also, Mercedes Lackey and Steve Libbey have two podcast books available for listening:
www.secretworldchronicle.com...

(and buying)

They're also twittering each other "in character." Truly strrrrrrraaaannnnge!
www.twitter.com...
www.twitter.com...

(edited to add that once you read it in your Twitter account, it makes sense and it's really funny. But don't try to read each thread on its own... eeep!)

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Byrd]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I've haven't picked up a piece of fiction in years and I love Sci-Fi, can you

recommend anything they seem a talented group of writers.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up on these authors. I hadn't thought about looking for authors on Facebook.

Recently I've been using a personal library website:
www.librarything.com...

There are quite a few authors who use that site as well. What's unique about LibraryThing are the heartfest book summaries. It gives you a real feel for the book. That site also features chats on various book topics. In fact, I've already suggested to the ATS board that they look over LibraryThing while creating our own book review section.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I like the Facebook groups because you can interact wth other fans and often get some good and interesting conversations going. If you run into the authors at cons, you actually can start some InTERESTING questions with them... and learn neat new stuff.

That's how I learned about Mercedes Lackey's twitter (which took a turn for the reeeeeeallly strange today!)

There's some comic book cons up there, but I'm not sure how interactive they're doing. I'm going to post the ones that are more than the con just sot of bragging about itself.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiscoDave

I've haven't picked up a piece of fiction in years and I love Sci-Fi, can you

recommend anything they seem a talented group of writers.

Lackey's got some free stuff on the twitter that I recommended... There was some stuff on her website. I'll look around for others. White is doing a webcomic to get back in practice for the graphic novel, DUNCAN AND MALLORY #4:
www.webcomicsnation.com...

These folks are really easy to get to know. Very approachable at conventions. I'll put up conventions as I know about them. Some will be at Apollocon in Houston in June... don't have the list yet and have to run off soon.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting tip, thanks Byrd.

Sad to say (well, not really, but belies my true geekiness), I've been to a Con or two (DragonCon in Atlanta being one of my favorites)....

I always enjoy chatting with authors....

top topics

join