It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Craigslist to replace 'blatant Internet brothel'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Official: Craigslist to replace 'blatant Internet brothel'

edition.cnn.com

Craigslist will replace its controversial online "erotic services" listings with a section where ads are individually checked by Craigslist employees before they are posted, according to Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

The popular national classified-ad Web site -- which Blumenthal called "a blatant Internet brothel" -- has been accused by law enforcement officials across the United States of promoting prostitution through its erotic ads.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well the censoring of the internet is in full swing, can't even use it to get a date anymore

All joking aside, I think it is good that we are removing such things from websites like Craigslist that can be accessed by anybody, and the lack of security is also a bother.

I know I would not want my kids to perhaps be lured to some perverts house by an add from such a place. Mind you that's highly, but still one less thing to worry about.

Standardizing these types of websites is something that is required in order to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

What say you ATS?

~Keeper

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

What say you ATS?

I say what is the problem with prostitution!? Sure if it is illegal, then we shouldn't allow such a vast disregard for the law, but this whole Craigslist thing came down becuase of a couple of murders.

Had it not been for Craigslist the murderer would have taken streetwalkers, or fellow students at his school, or random people from the neighborhood.

Prostitution is rampant in every city, it is barely disguised as "entertainment" "massage" or "dance," but who cares? Sure there are some young woman taken advantage, some marriages broken up, but those things would have happened anyway. If the trade was out in the open, it would be more difficult to coerce young woman, pimps would be put out of business by corporations.

So, boo! for Craigslist, but I don't think they had a choice.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I for one think prostitution should be legal, if someone wants to sell themselves, go for it, not hurting me. It would also make it safer for all parties involved. IMO

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I certainly agree that making it legal would remove the criminal aspect, therefore reducing the crime rate in those cities by alot.

If two consenting adults want to pay eachother to have sex, what business it is the governments or ours to object? People have free will and should have the right to exorcise it.

It would also work in the governments favor as these people could then be paying taxes on their "businesses" which would obviously attempt to stay legit as much as possible to avoid problems. The actual criminals who partake in the sex trade and other prostitute related rings would stick out like a sore thumb.

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Exactly, I couldn't agree more, we sell tobacco, booze and the like, all of which are much more harmful then a good....well..you know.

It would put more emphasis on safety regulations, not to mention one hell of a union, haha, but seriously, how is stripping any diff then hooking, oh yeah, strippers dont touch

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
reply to post by getreadyalready

I for one think prostitution should be legal, if someone wants to sell themselves, go for it, not hurting me. It would also make it safer for all parties involved. IMO

Well said. If prostitution were legalized and regulated there would be no more pimps, fewer venereal diseases, and much less crime. Prostitution is the world's oldest profession, and its not going to stop simply because the government bans it. It's just going to move underground, and everything is more dangerous in the underground.

Craigslist will still be a hub for prostitution, they'll just move from "erotic services" to another part, like the dating part. And then people who are legitimately looking for dates will begin to complain. It's an endless cycle.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Ha, sure they don't.

It would be a huge cash crop for communities and the federal government. It would also give an outlet to people who live in poor conditions to bring themselves back up and not have to worry about going to jail over it.

I know some hookers, use to hang out in that kind of neighboorhood, and they aren't bad people, they like to hook, it's their decision, it makes them feel good.

Whether or not that is a healthy frame of mind is not mine to judge and it's not the governments either. If they are happy doing what they do, then who the hell are we to say they can't?

~Keeper

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
God , this thread is the largest collection of smart people on this planet, I love you all!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

What say you ATS?

Even though I believe prostitution should be legalized and regulated, I am glad they are taking this step. It is way too dangerous, IMO. However, on the other hand, I really do not think it is much different than say Match.com You are still meeting people online. Many meeting on these dating sites go to dinner and hook up. Not much different than paying for sex.

Unfortunately, many of the woman in this trade do not take enough precautions (bodyguard, someone outside the door, weapons, etc) - probably because it is an illegal trade and so taboo (do not want anyone to know what they are doing). And that does not even cover the STD part of it all.

I have told this story before here, but will tell it again. An ex of mine had a sister who at the time was 16 and was making sex ads on Yahoo personals. She was meeting up with adult men in hotel rooms making a lot of money for sex. I found out about it and brought it to her parents attention. She actually told me of some horrible stories and how she thought she would loose her life many times. I know many of these women out there are going thru the same things.

Regulation and legalization is really the best way to protect these women (& men)!

[edit on 5/13/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

She was meeting up with adult men in hotel rooms making a lot of money for sex. I found out about it and brought it to her parents attention. She actually told me of some horrible stories and how she thought she would loose her life many times.

That is scary when it is someone close to you. It is also a moral dilemma, with "Lots" of money typically comes lots of risk. 16 year olds aren't ready to make those life-altering decisions, and it is easy to get caught up with something you see a friend doing successfully. If the trade were legal, no one would hire a 16 year old, and there would be stiff competition from the legal outlets. Hopefully the legal supply would equal the demand side of the equation and protect girls like her.

Props for standing up for her and involving parents, I bet that was a tense conversation.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
When will people mind their own damn business. Prohibition has never worked nor will it ever work. If someone wants to get a prostitute they will go get one no matter what the law says, all this will do is force these girls to go find some violent pimp who will likely beat them and take most of their money. If we ever want to make any progress in this world people are going to have to realize they have no right to control the actions of anyone else, as long as no one is getting hurt why can't we just butt out? I hear people talk about traffickers, but they fail to realize making it harder for these girls will only encourage more trafficking more shady ways of prostituting. This only makes the black market more profitable which will draw more violent criminals and make it more dangerous. No one ever seems to think far enough ahead to what the consequences of these dumb laws will be.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
If the trade were legal, no one would hire a 16 year old, and there would be stiff competition from the legal outlets. Hopefully the legal supply would equal the demand side of the equation and protect girls like her.

Props for standing up for her and involving parents, I bet that was a tense conversation.

Sorry? I think I can say for 99% certain that there will still be a demand for any age of girl, regardless of whether it's legal or not.

Excluding pedophiles, what about teenagers who are looking for some fun? I know of enough people in my environment that would probably even take up on it if they like the person.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I guess the CT Attorney General missed those apartment sharing offers in Santa Monica, ocean view, $129 per month, young female only.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is a state, Rhode Island I believe, where prostitution as long as the transaction and act take place behind closed doors is legal.

Anyway this is just semantics. What does it matter what Craigslist calls "it"? Like there arent a dozen other forums this can be done on? Like you cant start your own?

It's like the whole world suddenly demands we change the word #e to rose. Will what we flush suddenly be worthy of delivering to a suiter in bouquet form?

This is stupid. It wont prevent any hooker murders. It wont prevent hooking. It wont do anything except replace one label with another that in a sort period of time will become synonymous with the label it sought to replace.

More pointless garbage.

top topics

join