It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French 'net piracy' bill passed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

French 'net piracy' bill passed

news.bbc.co.uk

A controversial French bill which could disconnect people caught downloading content illegally three times has been passed by the National Assembly.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I sometimes download t.v shows that I've missed and when I do there is no financial casualty on anyone's part so why shouldn't I be able to do that?

Also, it could mean people will become too scared to use wireless broadband as they will fear someone leeching their connection. I'm not from France but I really can see this spreading far and wide.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thats the thing with tv shows, can they be classed like movies and music, as you can record tv programs of the tv, whats the difference of downloading it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Thats the thing with tv shows, can they be classed like movies and music, as you can record tv programs of the tv, whats the difference of downloading it.

The media that was broadcast over the television network has been legally licensed by the owner of that media to be transmitted over that forum...

... due to this fact, everyone who has legally contracted the right to view these broadcasts, may create a copy of said broadcasts for personal use.

Likewise, you can create a backup copy of a DVD that you purchase, for personal use.

Uploading either of these personal use copies to the Internet, where millions of people can download them does not constitute valid personal use.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I hope they dont do this in the states man that would suck

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
So if everyone does it, are they gonna ban them all? I think the ISP's will have something to say about that. They will lose too much money.

They only have power because we give it to them, it can easily be taken away, if we all stick together.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Horus12]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The internet is still an awkward area to apply laws to.

The effects are no different whether someone sets his tv-recorder to record, or whether he gets it from someone that posted it online for free.

Yet they consider it copyright infringement and god may know what else, even though it barely makes sense in the end. With tv-shows that have DVD-boxes, I could understand.

But what about those unavailable shows?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus12
So if everyone does it, are they gonna ban them all? I think the ISP's will have something to say about that. They will lose too much money.
[edit on 12-5-2009 by Horus12]

The problem there is that the I.S.P's have no choice. Some of the major broadband companies have tried to fight against having to give their customer's details to the powers that be because these broadband companies don't want to be associated with personal data sharing as they know it won't be good for their reputation with consumers, they don't want to lose business due to that but their hands are tied because the courts demand that they comply.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horus12

From what I've heard, the Internet accounts will be suspended, but they'll still be forced to pay for it. So the French ISP's won't be losing money after all.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I consider this to be a violation of contract by the ISP's to render service based upon the decision of a governmental authority, this essentially turns the government into an ISP, a wrong move, a counter productive and counter progress move. Another attempt to reinflate themselves as the ones in charge of the technology, networked computers don't require a centralized system, the sooner we get home solar power and wifi, the sooner these corporations and governments are just blocking technology.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well i just hope they can enforce it, it really would not be all that difficult despite what people say, it can be done. Im not sure if its plausible at the moment but its a step forward at least. Im not saying that i dont download things because i do, but its not really fair now is it. I would stop if this law is enforceable. The internet is not a right or freedom, it should not be exempt from the rest of the real world. I know thats not a popular view, but i wouldnt be complaining if it was to affect me.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The French bill was actually rejected only a few weeks before it was voted on again, apparently there wasn't enough bums on seats to vote, heh news.cnet.com...

And look, the 3 strikes rule is going ahead in S.Korea www.ipworld.com...

Well done to the German government for NOT voting it in www.billboard.biz...

I can really see this happening in the U.K in the near future though.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
TV won't really be affected in the sense you can watch it for free on the actual site such as on the FOX website you can view the fox shows for free and most others you can also with a few exceptions but not too many.

If the past is an indicator they will target those who are uploading not downloading the content first.

Then after that route they will go after ISP's to track customer downloading and report it to them. The ISP's will refuse with 1 or 2 exceptions. They will go to court over it requesting all ISP's disclose the downloading habits of it's subscribers which is insainly large because everything is downloaded on the net, and then may or may not win.

If they did win then they need to separate the junk from the type of files their looking for. Any encrypted files will auto go to junk because it takes to long to bother breaking encryption on just one file for one person.

The wrong people will get charged in some cases due to war driving and proxy set ups.

Fake movie/tv/etc files will be made up to waste bandwidth and try to set up the industry for a counter suit for wrongful prosecution etc.

All the above happened with music you just didn't see it in the news. There's plenty of other things too but as I've stated before when you tell too much on a board you end up getting banned so I'll stop there.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The thought of counter-suing the enemy by setting up fake movie files tickles my fancy. Use the enemy's own methods against them. And, of course, the only way to win against them, to thoroughly defeat them, is to take their own methods to an extreme, the level of extreme where even they wouldn't take a court case. Crush them.

Use all the fascist laws THEY passed against us, against themselves. Make them regret ever starting what they couldn't finish.

It would be fun to set them up, so that somebody could sue THEM for copyright infringement. Not that I'm suggesting anyone should use illegal means to set them up. I'm just saying it'd be fun to crush them in a court, using their own methods.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by David_Reale]

new topics

top topics

join