It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Kid Then Handcuffs Him While He's Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Cop Shoots Kid Then Handcuffs Him While He's Down

globalgrind.com

According to broadcast reports, the boy is 15-years-old and was playing cops and robbers with some friends when he encountered the sheriff's deputy, who was responding to a burglary report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Here's a video regarding the incident
forbezdvd.com...

While I agree that a 15year playing cops and robbers with a toy gun may seem odd and a 15 year old should know better than to point a gun at a police officer it's still ridiculous.

But still, this is obviously an abuse of power.
Shoot a kid and then handcuff him while he is down?

Isn't that a little excessive to say the least?

globalgrind.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have always been one to say #@#@ the police, but I am sorry, if I was a cop and someone pulled what looked to be a gun at me, last thing I would be worrying about is the age of the person doing it. If it was me in that uniform, and I was responding to a burglary call and someone pulls out something resembling a gun then pointing it at me, I would have not only fired once, but multiple times. What that kid did was STUPID, on all levels. Playing Cops and Robbers, he should have known better than to raise something that looks like a real weapon at a police officer. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
It's sad that this happened but I agree.
If I was a police officer and someone pointed a gun at me I would have probably done the same thing.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

But still, this is obviously an abuse of power.
Shoot a kid and then handcuff him while he is down?

Isn't that a little excessive to say the least?

Standard police training mandates that a suspect be handcuffed regardless of his condition. I have heard of corpses getting the 'cuffs - just in case, at least until EMT verified they were dead.

This was introduced after a number of officers were killed/injured by supposedly incapacitated suspects who still proved to be a threat.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
if you read the article, people who saw the incident saw the gun was a toy at first glance.

interesting that the cop was the only one not able to make this distinction.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Abuse of Power-Fire Them
Enough Said, these cops are power hungry, just watch the videos of alot of police encounters

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I find nothing excessive about this. The cop was on a call that could easily result in him running into an armed individual. Were I in his situation and I encountered someone who pointed what even remotely looked like a gun at me, I'd have done the same thing. Who is to say that a criminal didn't decide to spraypaint his gun orange in hopes that a cop would delay that half a second and give him the chance to kill the cop before he could be killed? (This was an example). I'm sorry, I can not fault this officer in any way.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It's a very sad story but i'm sorry, if you point something whether it's a gun or a toy gun at a police officer in a threatening manner 9 times out of 10 you will be shot.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
And if you listened to your own video, then you would have heard them say that this happened when the deputy arrived. I dont think that he gave a questionaire to people in the area before addressing the problem at hand(the reason he was called there).
That kid was stupid, and being 15 years old, he should have freakin known better after all of those years in D.A.R.E. classes in school and all of the Hollywood movies he has probably watched most of his life.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
if you read the article, people who saw the incident saw the gun was a toy at first glance.

interesting that the cop was the only one not able to make this distinction.

Standing over a gun lying on the ground is a somewhat different circumstance than looking down the muzzle when it is being pointed at you.

Trying to attach any blame to the officer for his actions is ridiculous, if you point a weapon, real or not, at a cop then you are going to get shot.

Darwin must be appeased.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
Abuse of Power-Fire Them
Enough Said, these cops are power hungry, just watch the videos of alot of police encounters

Didn't even bother reading the whole story did you, didn't think so.
Probably read the headline and then posted.

This cop did nothing wrong. End of Story.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I too, see nothing wrong here, and I generally think that the police get out of hand. If someone pointed something that looks like agun at me I would do the same thing. Age has no real bearing here. How many young gang bangers are ot there looking to do something like this?

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Police go through lots of situational training. You need to recognize a thread and decide whether or not to shot in a split second.

So, if someone is pointing a gun or toy gun at a police officer, most likely they will get shot.

This is a very sad situation but the way to prevent it is to not have teenagers playing with toy guns.

I don't think this is an over reaction on the part of the officer involved.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In my opinion, the cops did nothing wrong. I dont know if any of you have seen some of the toy guns that are sold, here is one of many.

These guns are sold to look like the real thing, but only fire bb's. It doesnt matter how much training you get or experience you have, these look like real firearms. Some are even full metal and weigh the same. What this kid should have done was to be smarter than using his toy gun the way he did. Playing cops and robbers at night with toy guns is not a smart idea, especially when you point them at police officers. They should have been in an area where they were out of sight from neighbors or in a backyard, and informed the neighbors that they were playing a game. I used to "airsoft" (what we called the sport, had a team, expensive gear, expensive gun) and me and my teammates would get together twice a month on private property that was owned by one of our teammates, safe and out of sight. There are several airsoft fields that they can play at too, instead of running around the streets shooting each other. Kids are stupid, there was a group of them with cheap little airsoft pistols that were playing at an elementary school. The police showed up in riot gear. No one was shot, but it falls down to common sense. A cop usually won't think twice about pulling the trigger when he has a firearm pointed at him.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thank God common sense is prevailing in this thread over cop-hate. I agree that the cop did nothing wrong and believe the OP is just looking to stir up hate to fuel personal emotions against cops.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Same opinion as most in here, you point gun at police, police points gun at you.

Funny how noone that blamed the cop for it suggested that he should've used a tazer instead.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

Oh but now THAT would be inhumane, to tazer a 15 year-old (sarcasm off). Granted no cop would whip out a tazer against someone pointing what looks to be a gun at them, but just for the sake of argument, had that kid been tazered instead of shot you would the anti-tazering fanatics of ATS posting here with a fine froth on their mouths.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree...while this is a sad set of circumstances, based on the info here it seems reasonable for the officer to shoot his weapon. As far as handcuffing the suspect I can see a need for that. When I look at this incident in comparison with the BART officer shooting a few months back. This incident seems justifiable whereas the BART incident was clearly in my opinion unwarranted.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hey, you know I have several friends who are cops and wouldn't want them to get shot accidentally...

But seriously, okay... number by number the percentage of cops getting shot on calls is very low, particularly when you look at it by the call per day... Many cops go their entire carer and don't get shot at

last I checked... this wasn't 1909 it's 2009

These guys have choppers... and numbers and bullet proof vests and radios and phones and non lethals

This is poor police work when put into perspective

Who called in a robbery? was the person on the phone...I'M SURE they were, if not did an alarm go off? Is this 99% of the time a reason to draw guns...

why is this cop running alone like rambo instead of waiting on back up

Usually the way this works is they surround a place and give you the option to come out with hands up to AVOID this happening

sooo... why did this happen?

This cop was obviously being a bit too trigger happy and a bit of a Hero... I don't see anything that read of imminent danger to anyone that this guy ran alone gun drawn...

I'm sorry

this zero tolerance always get your man crap doesn't work...

if he pulled up and no one's life was in imminent danger, he shouldn't have charged through with a gun... a chance to surrender, or even get away is preferable to a gun being used at all... they were there to investigate a possible theft no catch a murderer

no need for this level if no one was in imminent danger...

he never should be running in without giving the suspect a chance to come out peacefully or even run

I saw a kid in cali who stole a truck a few years back...

it was a 20,000 INSURED vehicle, that certainly would have been found a few days later

Total cost 6.7 Million to pursue him, cops, choppers, closing down the highway, lost income, traffic and oh yeah... someone could have died...

For what an Insured vehicle he took?

Those of you who respect cops... really do you Need your loved ones cornering people making them desperate, increasing the odds of conflict as the response orders they are given

This guy in any normal society should have pulled up Stayed SAFE himself and gotten on the bull horn... "Come Out With Your Hands up"

Call me crazy but that's what I would have done

top topics

<<   2 >>

join