It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egypt Brought To Life With Virtual Model Of Historic Temple Complex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Ancient Egypt Brought To Life With Virtual Model Of Historic Temple Complex

The result is Digital Karnak, a high-tech model that runs in real time and allows users to navigate 2,000 years of history at the popular ancient Egyptian tourist site near modern-day Luxor, where generations of pharaohs constructed temples, chapels, obelisks, sphinxes, shrines and other sacred structures beginning in the 20th century B.C.

Developed by UCLA's Experiential Technologies Center — which has helped pioneer the digital reconstruction of historical sites, including the innovative Rome Reborn, released in 2006 — the Karnak model and a host of additional digital resources are now available for educators, students, scholars and the public to explore for free at dlib.etc.ucla.edu...

It is actually a pretty interesting model. Knowing that there are several here who are really into Egyptology, and not finding it in a brief search here already, i thought i would link it.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Developed by UCLA's Experiential Technologies Center — which has helped pioneer the digital reconstruction of historical sites, including the innovative Rome Reborn, released in 2006 — the Karnak model and a host of additional digital resources are now available for educators, students, scholars and the public to explore for free at dlib.etc.ucla.edu...

Linky works better without the period on the end.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

there you go. i fixed it.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Cool Tex, thanks, what was the sacred lake?

dlib.etc.ucla.edu...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for posting this

Looks like a good reference source and a swift plow through the categories shows that it's well laid out too. My only immediate criticism of the site is the dependence on frickin' Quicktime media. The section I was most interested in is wholly reliant on QT and I resent having to download 3rd party software to view it!

I can understand why you posted in this section, but the guys on A&LC would probably have shown more interest in the resources. Flagged nonetheless

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thanks !!

Ancient Egypt is my favorite ancient civilization and I will spend a lot of time looking over that link !

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
as someone thats been, the only thing those videos lacked is the colours

some of the blues, reds and greens which are still visible on columns, ceilings etc are stunning

very cool

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

that is an excellent link. Thank you, good friend.
Much appreciated.

reply to post by Kandinsky

I think that many schools use Apple as a standard, especially at the higher education level. My son goes to the local (and only) public high school in the area. Each student is assigned an Apple notebook.

I wasn't sure which forum i would put this in, and settled on this one for no good reason. If a mod happens by and would like to take to move it, i would be much obliged.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Cool Tex, thanks, what was the sacred lake?

dlib.etc.ucla.edu...

That would be the place where the sacred geese were kept.
www.philae.nu...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hey BFFT!

Great post and link! S&F from me, and let's hear it for 21st century tech being able to show us 2000BC 'tech'.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Very Interesting.

I will definately have to check this out whan am able to get to a diffent computer. Work comp doesn't allow viewing of such things.

S&F for you anyway.

new topics

top topics

join