It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statistics say aliens exist. But would you want to make contact with the human race?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Remember the movie Deliverance with Burt Reynolds?

Well.. thats what aliens think of when they think of coming to earth lols

I'm sure they don't want their warp drive to fail, and have to land in someones back yard no more than you want to go down to georgia and take a canoe ride in some rednecks back yard

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

We are simply a very young species, with a long way to go. We aren't behind in any way of our evolution, but were not ahead of the curve either, which is where we should want to be.

Sounds pretty fatalistic to me, but that's cool. In some respects we probably are quite young, at least in the majority. But we've also produced some pretty cool dudes over the eons - Gandhi, MLK, Jesus, Buddha, John Lennon etc. If they can act like compassionate adults then why can't the rest of us?

I guess I'm just saying that we might stand more chance of making contact with a civilization that is more 'spiritually' advanced than us if we genuinely aspired to their level of consciousness rather than trying to contact them by technological means alone.

What the article I originally quoted from is saying (I think) is that at present we are too 'I me mine' and therefore too 'warlike' to ever hope that an advanced civilization would want to reveal itself to us, let alone make friends with us, even if it was already here. I think I understand what the article's author is trying to say, and I think I agree with him.

Source article...

So how do you think we could get there? Remember that we're talking about moral and spiritual evolution here, not technological evolution, as it is the former that determines the truest "greatness" of a Civilization in my mind, and it is also this that the original poster was referring to.

Yeah, my sentiments entirely, man. Right on

If we're talking about advanced space-faring alien life while taking into account that there's a thread already on this site saying that (advanced space faring) ALIENS ARE DEMONS, I would have to say...... No.

Sorry dude, I'm really not clear about what you're trying to say...?

[edit on 20-5-2009 by winston_boy]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by winston_boy
Sounds pretty fatalistic to me, but that's cool. In some respects we probably are quite young, at least in the majority. But we've also produced some pretty cool dudes over the eons - Gandhi, MLK, Jesus, Buddha, John Lennon etc. If they can act like compassionate adults then why can't the rest of us?

We can, that's just it. And I think not only can it be done, but eventually it must and will be done. It is quite possible that the current age is the end-times spoken of in the various religions (not just "Christianity", mind you, but religious and spiritual traditions all around the globe from all sorts of cultures), and therefore this age actually represents childhood's end, although the length of the age and thus the transition to maturity, is not known and is at least in part likely dependent on our own choices, both as individuals and as a whole, as is how painful it is. However, I don't think the beginning of that mature time is long off, at least compared to the length of time our species has been on the earth, even if it is not in our own life times.

What the article I originally quoted from is saying (I think) is that at present we are too 'I me mine' and therefore too 'warlike' to ever hope that an advanced civilization would want to reveal itself to us, let alone make friends with us, even if it was already here. I think I understand what the article's author is trying to say, and I think I agree with him.

So what would happen if whatever the _governments_ have was released?

And what is "too 'I me mine'" anyway? Too much egotism, arrogance?

As for what an alien society more spiritually advanced than the present state of the world would do, I don't really know. As a matter of practical safety, they may not want to just "waltz on in" right now, however I also don't think they would ignore us entirely, as a truly more spiritually advanced civilization would have more love and more heart, and so I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea they might do something more, esp. if a great calamity strikes. I'm also not sure we'd need to reach their same level of development, just enough to have enough peace, perhaps.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by mike3]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

We can, that's just it. And I think not only can it be done, but eventually it must and will be done.

I agree. But it hasn't yet been done, and that's the point. We're talking about why alien contact (officially) hasn't been made yet.

It is quite possible that the current age is the end-times spoken of in the various religions (not just "Christianity", mind you, but religious and spiritual traditions all around the globe from all sorts of cultures)

It's possible, but to be honest every age is so egocentric that it thinks it is the end time spoken of in some or other prophecy. Not sold on that idea.

and therefore this age actually represents childhood's end, although the length of the age and thus the transition to maturity, is not known and is at least in part likely dependent on our own choices, both as individuals and as a whole, as is how painful it is. However, I don't think the beginning of that mature time is long off, at least compared to the length of time our species has been on the earth, even if it is not in our own life times.

I accept this is your viewpoint...

This is an assumption. Maybe the governments don't have anything...?

Basically yes. But also just a level of consciousness that makes our point of focus 'individual' rather than 'group', 'me' rather than 'my community', 'mine' rather than 'yours'. The 'ego-based' rather than the 'holistic' viewpoint. Think of a colony of ants.

As for what an alien society more spiritually advanced than the present state of the world would do, I don't really know. As a matter of practical safety, they may not want to just "waltz on in" right now, however I also don't think they would ignore us entirely, as a truly more spiritually advanced civilization would have more love and more heart, and so I wouldn't totally dismiss the idea they might do something more, esp. if a great calamity strikes. I'm also not sure we'd need to reach their same level of development, just enough to have enough peace, perhaps.

Perhaps. But the point of this thread was to examine whether we needed to change our attitude towards ET in order to convince him we were worth knowing, in much the same way we might dress appropriately for a first date in order to impress

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I totally agree, Templar777, but the point is, given our warlike, greed/fear/control-based nature, would you want to make contact with us?

If your civlization was evolved enough that it could travel light years across space and pinpoint our insignificant little solar system with our insignificant little planet and civlization, would you want to make contact with us knowing that we would most likely greet you with a nuclear handshake?

What does evolution have to do with being able to traverse space. We as a race that has been to the moon are no more evolved as humans then the people that came before us who couldnt.. I dont get why people equate technology or in this case very advanced technology with righteousness or purity. Aliens are probably like us with different personalities some are probably cool while others are d!ck$.. If technology some how brought about enlightenment why havent we seen a difference in our own race? and if our planet is so "insignificant" why are all these aliens hanging around they can see their little green @$$'s home

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The article goes on to cite the Drake Equation, which calculates that around 1000 planets in our galaxy alone are likely to support intelligent life. Extrapolating that to include the entire universe, we arrive at the absurdly astronomical figure of 100,000 billion planets with the possible conditions for intelligent life.

Ahh Drakes equation. At times like this I always like to dust off and bring out good old Carl.

He puts it so well.

Google Video Link

[edit on 21-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

What does evolution have to do with being able to traverse space. We as a race that has been to the moon are no more evolved as humans then the people that came before us who couldnt..

On what do you base this view? Because I have to say, I think I disagree. Whether or not we have been to the moon is another debate. But in general I would say that "we as a race" are more evolved than at any time in our history. There are of course some notable exceptions. And I guess it depends on your definition of 'evolved'. But in general I would say we are way more evolved than we ever have been, even though we still have a good way to go.

I dont get why people equate technology or in this case very advanced technology with righteousness or purity.

No, not "righteousness or purity", just an inner intelligence that works progressively from the holistic rather than the egocentric viewpoint. Again, think of a colony of ants. Each individual ant may not be particularly "righteous" or "pure", but their natural instinctive consciousness is none the less to work as one rather than against each other. That's what I'm talking about.

Aliens are probably like us with different personalities some are probably cool while others are d!ck$..

Possibly...

If technology some how brought about enlightenment why havent we seen a difference in our own race?

Since when? As I said, I think we have seen a difference progressively over the centuries.

and if our planet is so "insignificant" why are all these aliens hanging around they can see their little green @$$'s home

I only meant "insignificant" in context with the universe. Just a matter of perspective, really.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainhack
What does evolution have to do with being able to traverse space. We as a race that has been to the moon are no more evolved as humans then the people that came before us who couldnt.. I dont get why people equate technology or in this case very advanced technology with righteousness or purity.

Quite so. Horses are every bit as evolutionarily advanced as we are, but you don't see them shooting rockets into space. And actually, even if one was to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder, our own spacefaring efforts are pretty insignificant, really.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Quite so. Horses are every bit as evolutionarily advanced as we are

Really?
I think this thread has finally gone off the wall. Either that, or we just have a very different understanding of the term "evolutionarily".

Actually, are you serious...?

even if one was to think that humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder, our own spacefaring efforts are pretty insignificant, really.

This one does think "humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder". So far as this dimension of existence on Planet Earth is concerned, in fact, it is flagrantly obvious to me that "humans are the top of the evolutionary ladder".

I do agree, however, that "our own spacefaring efforts are pretty insignificant, really".

That's all I agree with, though.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

We can, that's just it. And I think not only can it be done, but eventually it must and will be done.

I agree. But it hasn't yet been done, and that's the point. We're talking about why alien contact (officially) hasn't been made yet.

What's "officially", anyway?

It is quite possible that the current age is the end-times spoken of in the various religions (not just "Christianity", mind you, but religious and spiritual traditions all around the globe from all sorts of cultures)

It's possible, but to be honest every age is so egocentric that it thinks it is the end time spoken of in some or other prophecy. Not sold on that idea.

Regardless of whatever you believe about the religious bit, how about the other stuff here?:

and therefore this age actually represents childhood's end, although the length of the age and thus the transition to maturity, is not known and is at least in part likely dependent on our own choices, both as individuals and as a whole, as is how painful it is. However, I don't think the beginning of that mature time is long off, at least compared to the length of time our species has been on the earth, even if it is not in our own life times.

I accept this is your viewpoint...

This is an assumption. Maybe the governments don't have anything...?

Perhaps not. But I'm talking about a more hypothetical thing, since we don't know all they do and do not have.

Basically yes. But also just a level of consciousness that makes our point of focus 'individual' rather than 'group', 'me' rather than 'my community', 'mine' rather than 'yours'. The 'ego-based' rather than the 'holistic' viewpoint. Think of a colony of ants.

I.e. we need a unified society, unified on different levels. How would your idea of unified society work?

Perhaps. But the point of this thread was to examine whether we needed to change our attitude towards ET in order to convince him we were worth knowing, in much the same way we might dress appropriately for a first date in order to impress

[/qute]

Well I don't think that militaries then should be the ones handling ET contacts. As, well, militaries are for one thing only: waging war.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Acknowledged, admitted and announced by the government and the mainstream media.

I.e. we need a unified society, unified on different levels. How would your idea of unified society work?

Like a colony of ants works, only every human in the unified society would sacrifice themselves to the whole by conscious choice rather than, as in the ant's case, by unconscious instinct.

Well I don't think that militaries then should be the ones handling ET contacts. As, well, militaries are for one thing only: waging war.

I couldn't agree more

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Acknowledged, admitted and announced by the government and the mainstream media.

But what about outside those channels? And why would aliens make that contact at all even there?

Like a colony of ants works, only every human in the unified society would sacrifice themselves to the whole by conscious choice rather than, as in the ant's case, by unconscious instinct.

So they'd give up all their individual will, etc. entirely and totally? But that would seem like swinging to the other extreme and I don't think the best is in extreme positions.

I couldn't agree more

top topics

<< 1   >>

join