It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to thank our members who contribute consistent quality -- no ads!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Ummm, it's still there Zorgon.... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kewl... not that I ever look

And I WAS only kidding about the Gold card... but they do look great

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
SO, this is really great. Seems when ever you speak most if not all senior moderators come quickly to exaggerate or inflate your thought.

I say let the moderators be as forceful but surely spoken in member threads and comments SO. As for you Sir, Start writing special; threads w/out mod contributions -- allow you member base to talk and the moderators write their own threads in answer?

Decoy

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

Hi...

I posted something here that could address the 'Elitism' that is being seen...

Just trying to get it into the streets and in the hands of the members...

I actually like the ability to see who the "Contributing" members are but I didn't think that the conversion of numbers was being done in a manner that members were comfortable with.

Rgds

Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

[edit on 17-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I dont like the direction that this is going...this thing of separating people by their post count,flags, applauses and the like seems to me rather irrelevant.

You can have 1000 post and may be 10 are of great insight. On the other hand you can have a brand new member to the site that can make a great contribution to a thread.

The thing that has make ATS so succesfull I believe is the way that we can have people from across the globe and contribute and we all feel a sense of belonging to the same community.

I believe the point system has serve well to reward those who makes consistent contributions to the site...all this other stuff that is coming out seems to me kind of pointless and to some point divisive.

Its going to take away from the quality that we seek in content and you might have people just chasing a status. That might work well for site traffic but not for quality contributions.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Bunch]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
I dont like the direction that this is going...this thing of separating people by their post count,flags, applauses and the like seems to me rather irrelevant.

You can have 1000 post and may be 10 are of great insight. On the pther hand you can have a brand new member to the site that can make a great contribution to the thread.

The thing that has make ATS so succesfull I believe is the way that we can have people from across the globe and contribute and we all feel a sense of belonging to the same community.

I believe the point system has serve well to reward those who makes consistent contributions to the site...all this other stuff that is coming out seems to me kind of pointless and to some point divisive.

Its going to take away from the quality that we seek in content and you might have people just chasing a status. That might work well for site traffic but not for quality contributions.

I agree with all your points.

I can't help but notice a lot of kids playing the system like a video game.
Coming out with shocking headers to attract traffic, but contributing nothing. People starring and flagging each other to up their scores.

Many whose contributions are well thought out, researched and presented have surprisingly low scores. Many who have found that the more outrageous sounding and explotitive subjects garner large traffic. They frequently have astronomical scores.

I too see this moving away from quality to quantity and in the end an inevitable dilution.

Mike

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

As much as I understand your point, it's the responsibility of the members not to abuse the system and attempt to only flag and star the highest of quality material on ATS.

Since the inception of the new system, I have noticed a decrease in flag give-outs and stars, which leads me to believe that people are actually thinking before giving credit to threads and the quality of posts within it.

That's what it was designed to to, and apparently it's working as far as I can see. Obviously there will always be the couple of threads that are ridiculously popular for trivial reasons but that's just the nature of the boards.

We all have a responsibility to work with the staff in order to keep ATS the way we like it.

~Keeper

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think you can agree with me that is far to early in order to come to a conclusion about the new system.

Overtime though we are going to see the end result of the new system and hopefully it works out great...a good thing that the staff of this site have is that they adapt quickly and act strongly when it comes to the site quality...thats a good thing...and I'm pretty sure that if they see that the new system doesn't work for the intended purpose then I think they would take the appropiate course of action to maintain ATS notorious quality.

I dont personally like it, but hopefully it works out great.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

As much as I understand your point, it's the responsibility of the members not to abuse the system and attempt to only flag and star the highest of quality material on ATS.

Since the inception of the new system, I have noticed a decrease in flag give-outs and stars, which leads me to believe that people are actually thinking before giving credit to threads and the quality of posts within it.

That's what it was designed to to, and apparently it's working as far as I can see. Obviously there will always be the couple of threads that are ridiculously popular for trivial reasons but that's just the nature of the boards.

We all have a responsibility to work with the staff in order to keep ATS the way we like it.

I'm not knocking the site management. They go above and beyond the call of duty ensuring the best is done with totally unpredictable content flooding in from all over the world.

It's amazing there is so much good stuff considering.

I didn't take much note of the stars and flags thing until I got the information on the changes. As I've received hundreds of replies to my messages but my profile only shows a few dozen, I figured the enumeration doesn't work all that well.

When I do look at the star thing now I note how a guy works hard spending hours posting some detailed scientific explanation of a salient point on a thread and gets a star at most. These guys deserve appreciation.

Then I see an adolescent Nazi rant of UFO wild delusion thread get them by the hundreds.

So what else can I say about stars.

I don't create threads - so I'm destined never to have a magic colour band beside my name.

I am not a star-spangled Brahman - with only one flag I'm an Untouchable.

In the world of refined quality in literature, arts, science - popular usually just means bad.

Anyone want to buy some used stars?

Mike

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The other thread on color tags titles got locked not sure why.

But there is a new message for banned people

Null member banned
This one is no more

funny and good

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
This thread outlines an old version of a new feature. Because it's out of date I will close it to new posts.

Thanks everyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join