It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany to Outlaw Paintball

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Every country has its traumas. In germany, the traumas are closely related to guns and violence, for obvious reasons.

For me, to ban words like # and # out of TV is as ridiculous as banning paintball. But hey, who said that humans act sensible?

only some tolerance, please

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well I saw that move coming from the German government years ago, and now it "finally" passes in a few months, but I'm not glad that I was right about this. Oh well, we will see laws coming into effect in the future that will forbid computer games that involve "shooting" and "killing", maybe to the point where even certain movies will be illegal to watch.

The recent rampages at public schools happened because of a failed educational system, and not giving enough attention to students that have a hard time socializing or those that are being bullied day by day.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Don't the Germans realize that one thing has nothing to do with the other?
Someone needs to slap some sense into German politicians.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yeah, thats probably it. Because of Germanys history they dont take too well to their youth dressing up in Military-Gear and playing war for fun...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Ha, I wish they'd ban the damned things over here.

Not long ago at a family cookout my nephew shot me in the backside with one, and though I am a tough guy, it hurt like hell.

He has completely avoided me since that fateful day. He can't run and hide forever though.

Yeah, laugh all you want, until the day someone shoots you with one.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
The recent rampages at public schools happened because of a failed educational system, and not giving enough attention to students that have a hard time socializing or those that are being bullied day by day.

Yes, the shootings originate from a failed education system...one that does not allow for any FUN for example.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Very surprised at such an extreme measure even by German standards.

But boring and snobby german politicans arent really known for their sense of humour.

You may as well be looking for chickens teeth as there aint no understanding of the concept of fun in that political house!!!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

As a former pro paintball player I must say this is ludicrous. I can already imagine some type of news docudrama where these crazy paintballers decide to go shoot up a school with real guns.

I know a lot of paintballers and they are some of the most relaxed easy going people that exist. Some of them are party animals that wouldn't hurt a fly, some are nerds, that wouldn't hurt a fly. One way or another, something we all share is the desire for sport. Hunting is fun, but hunting someone who is equally armed, is more exciting because you have to 1) outsmart your enemy, and 2) out shoot them. This is a rush, when you succeed because you beat someone at their own game. (just like golf, or soccer, or chess)

Shooting up a bunch of unarmed kids at a school, or what ever is only something that people do when they have absolutely 100% lost their marbles. Nobody in their right mind would do something like that. Trying to correlate paintballers with mass murderers is insulting, and completely absurd.

Furthermore, it helps kids to do something that is very educational. You learn more about yourself in an hour of playing paintball than you do in years of school. I'm not saying that school isn't important because it is, but paintball is something that I look for in people that I hire. Paintball players understand preparedness. They already know that if something can go wrong, it certainly will.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by downtown436]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have a sad story, and it's completely true.

A good friend of mine was playing painball with some of her friends, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. They were playing paintball with her father. He was hit with a paintball, it triggered a heart attack, and he died. He was in his mid 40s.

So... I know it's "fun"... but... it can be dangerous.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Man that sucks. Are you sure it was him getting hit by a paintball, and not because he ran faster and farther than he should of while being out of shape that killed him?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

For sure. He got startled, I believe. Either he wasn't expecting it or he was startled at the sensation. I was not present at the time.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

What I mean is that to them this new source may be seen as Fox news, MSN, or CNN (depending on the person) is by many Americans.

They certainly are interesting gentlemen and very nice. I was asked again to go to Germany this year for company reasons. I turned it down because I chose to be with my family first. I do not want to be away from my wife and two year old son for three to four weeks. But I get to interact with some Germans when they come over to our plant (the company I work for is German owned but in the U.S.).

I am mostly curious as to their thoughts on this. As I said I have never really thought to ask them about their weapons laws and I must admit I am a bit ignorant as to the laws regarding weapons there.

Raist

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I have a sad story, and it's completely true.

A good friend of mine was playing painball with some of her friends, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. They were playing paintball with her father. He was hit with a paintball, it triggered a heart attack, and he died. He was in his mid 40s.

So... I know it's "fun"... but... it can be dangerous.

Could it not have been anything that triggered it then?
Maybe a loud car horn, a fall, some other shock etc. (Talking generally, not in this particular case)

Paintballs don't kill people, heart conditions do!

[edit on 7-5-2009 by AR154]

[edit on 7-5-2009 by AR154]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

well, i know this may sound insensitive, but most sports are dangerous. there's always the risk that you can get hurt or die. he could just as well have had a heart attack from someone jumping out from behind a tree and yelling "boo!". it's no reason to ban a sport just because it may or may not harm someone. i've played paintball, and my spyder is sitting in my closet right now. sure it hurts when you get hit(especially if you play in winter....stupid iced up paintballs), but if you die because of it.....well you probably shouldn't have been playing in the first place. it takes a lot of skill and endurance to play a good round of paintball.

sucks that germans are gonna have to go out of country to play. my brother used to play there when he was stationed in germany. i don't play much these days myself, but i sure wouldn't want the option taken away from me.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AR154

He had no pre-existing conditions, no previous heart attacks. He was a very active and healthy man.

I mean, I know it's weird but... not many people play it anymore in our town. I know it's a sport and sports have risks but... I don't really like it. I guess not everyone has to play it, though.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Never thought I'd hear anything like that from Germany.

California? Yes.

Massachusetts? Yes.

Vermont? Yes.

Germany? No.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This makes so little sense maybe it is a smokescreen excuse. Maybe PTB just don't want a bunch of tactically trained civilians around when it comes time rumble.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
As someone who played paintball competitively for several years including the world cup and all over the world, I find this absolutely disgusting. Paintball is a legit, awesome, extreme sport that is in no way violent. Paintball is a legit sport with professional leagues all over the world and professional teams (including German teams) and a multi-million dollar industry. As a paintball player

Believe it or not statistically paintball is one of the safest sports there is. Safer than basketball even.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I think they just don't want people to have a good aim unless they are working for them. A threat to the agenda. PLAY VIDEO GAMES, LOSE YOU HUNTER GATHERER SKILLS IT IS GOOD FOR YOU (US). OBEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Im sorry to hear about that. But then again...people have had heart-attacks while swimming, golfing, jogging, etc.

I do think that it should be illegal to shoot at non-players outside of a playing field.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join