It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rasberries, Rum and Evolution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Double post; blame Vista and MS Explorer.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by pteridine]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Different wavelength, different mode of action. Fact is that EM radiation "excites" matter and thus effects temperature and further rate constant. Do you see how the Sun warms the planet Earth?

I think you misunderstand EM Radiation. Only a tiny fraction of the spectrum (infrared) affects the temperature of any substance. Most EM radiation does not.

As Pteridine has sated, UV may affect the rate constant, but this is not by any change of temperature, but rather by the production of free radicals, which catalyze the reaction.

[edit on 12/5/2009 by Saurus]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
Hard UV generates free radicals and would likely be an important driving force for chemical reactions along those pathways. There would be many reactions occurring in parallel.

@Pteridine: I think you have brought up a topic here which has massive implications for evolution as a whole.

Hypothesis:
Most chemicals exist as free radicals in space.

Implications for evolution:
In an early earth, where the atmosphere did not protect against UV, most chemicals would have existed as free radicals. This would mean that a large number of all kinds of chemicals would have been produced, which could act as substrates for the synthesis of amino acids, nucleotides etc.

Considering how harmful free radicals are to DNA, in the presence of a large number of free radicals, DNA mutation would have happened much faster than current mutations, perhaps even millions of times faster, which means DNA evolution could literally have occurred overnight.

Also, in the absence of proof-reading enzymes (exonucleases) in early earth, such DNA mutations would not be corrected as in modern organisms, and it is feasable to think that substantial mutation would take place, perhaps even in a single generation, which would explain the lack of interim fossil evidence (ie. missing links.)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

The proximity of the molecules relative to radiation sources would dictate their states.
The atmosphere today has high altitude ozone that helps absorb UV. Before the atmosphere was oxygen rich, there would have been more UV striking the surface. Until photosynthesis, anything that wasn't underwater would have had a hard time of it. Algae did the trick. The world evolved from anaerobic life to aerobic life and oxygen became the respiratory oxidant for many species. Fortunately, flavins [e.g., riboflavin] save us from oxygen poisoning.
This isn't my area of expertise but I know that there are some biochemists and chemists that delve into it. I'm certain that there are many publications on this topic which you would find very interesting.

[edit on 5/12/2009 by pteridine]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I just had a look in my electronic resources. There's an entire journal dedicated to this topic:
Molecular Biology and Evolution
(It's a high impact-factor journal too!)

I have full access to that journal, so I have many nights reading ahead!

[edit on 12/5/2009 by Saurus]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I would apreciate it if you would let me know of interesting finds.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
Infrared spectroscopy has confirmed the existence of ethyl formate (amongst other chemicals) in deep space. Ethyl formate gives raspberries their distinct flavour, and also smells like rum.

A raspberry flavoured galactic centre with a hint of rum

Just thought I'd share this little possibly relevant tidbit with the audience.
From - www.jewishnaturecenter.org...

What Type of Plant was the Burning Bush?

The following information is culled from Chapter 13 of Torah and Flora by Louis I. Rabinowitz.

And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him (Moses) in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush; and he looked and, behold, the bush was burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

There is little to be found within our Written Tradition that can help us in identifying the bush (s'neh in Hebrew) that burned without being consumed. However, our rabbis of old were apparently well acquainted with the type of bush. In Exodus Rabbah (3:2), we are told the bush was commonly used as a garden hedge and grew under all different types of conditions. We are told in the Talmud that the bush had thorns that curved inwards in such a way that "when a person inserts his hand into it, he is unscathed, but when he withdraws it, it lacerates him. (Shabbat67a)." The Jerusalem Talmud (Ma'aserot 48b) tells us the bush produced a berry that was at first red and then turned black. And a Tosefta on Bava Kamma (18:17) says the plant was used as an insecticide. All of this point to the correct identification of the s'neh by the monks of St. Catherine in Sinai as the Rubus Sanctus. (the raspberry bush)

Could Ethyl Formate be of significance in God's choice of plant to meet Moses through?
The Acacia plant, prime source of the "Spirit Molecule" '___', is the wood used for the building of the Ark of the Covenant.

What riddle lies within ethyl formate and God?

..just sayin.

-

[edit on 21-5-2009 by prevenge]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The primary natural source of '___' (the "spirit molecule") is the acacia.

Acacia has been a always been a symbol of Freemasonry (hundreds of years before '___' was known), and symbolizes the spirit and immortality.

'___' is the "spirit molecule", and can be made synthetically from ethyl formate (and tryptamine).

The burning bush was one of the richest natural sources of ethyl formate.

The universe is rich in ethyl formate.

I'm starting to see what you're suggesting here, prevenge. Excellent observation!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
The primary natural source of '___' (the "spirit molecule") is the acacia.

Acacia has been a always been a symbol of Freemasonry (hundreds of years before '___' was known), and symbolizes the spirit and immortality.

'___' is the "spirit molecule", and can be made synthetically from ethyl formate (and tryptamine).

The burning bush was one of the richest natural sources of ethyl formate.

The universe is rich in ethyl formate.

I'm starting to see what you're suggesting here, prevenge. Excellent observation!

yeah knew that about the masonry connection... but
WOW!
awesome!
I did not know that about the synthesis from ethyl formate. (also known as ethyl methanoate - (further research for google searches that use that name specifically?)

one more piece in the BIG puzzle!

very freaking cool.

know why I randomly had that tidbit available to post?
Because I was wondering what this girl was (repeatedly in different form) asking on this thread...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
wtf someone just right now made that thread BTS.. that is BS... (without the T).
www.belowtopsecret.com...
I'm going to complain. That's retarded.

I'll repost here the bulk of what I added from what we have here, since this thread is more consistently used.
Here...

One interesting thing to note about the pineal gland, is that it is symbolized as the world's largest statue of a pine-cone in the center of Vatican City, as well as atop the sculptures of Caduceus' of many fine establishment's decorations.
It's also depicted at the God Apollo's Oracle at Delphi as the Oomphalos an ancient artifat with a fibonnaci-esque "net" pattern stiched or etched around it... it's known as the "navel of the world" or the "center of the world"

The Caduceus represents the Hindu Kundalini dual snake-shaped energy circuits, namely Ida and Pingal, that rise from the sacred bone: the Sacral bone, up and around the spinal column, up all 33 degrees of vertebrae, to the place of the skull (Golgotha)... the 33 symbolic years of Christ's life.

This is where alchemy (White Tantra + orgasm-less coitus) plays a role in unlocking the Kundalini.

The pine cone is also present on the Thyrsus of Greek mythology, a staff with a pine cone on the tip, held by many Gods and Goddesses.
The pine cone is ALSO present on the handle of the Pope's cozier.
pine cones (as well as their pineal gland symbolism, are known for the PHI RATIO observable in the relative vector of the growth pattern of their seeds.

The WINGS of the Caduceus represent the ventricles of the brain, which are filled with the Kundalini (Christos) energy and throughout the cavity, form more of the calcite crystals recently found within the pineal gland... .
*speculation* - Thus enabling higher rate of '___' production / metabolism / frequency transmission ?
Man I love passing this intricate and awesome info out. It's my happy hobby. nay, my purpose.... aaaah Occult Anatomy, do me right!

Saurus... (I am going to play the riddle game the burning-bush girl played now...) ...

what is "Byssus", and how does it go about bringing illumination in this day and age?

-

[edit on 22-5-2009 by prevenge]

[edit on 22-5-2009 by prevenge]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

I did not know that about the synthesis from ethyl formate. (also known as ethyl methanoate - (further research for google searches that use that name specifically?)

Synthesis of '___' from tryptamine and ethyl formate:

(from tryptamine and ethyl formate) A suspension of 1.0 g tryptamine in 50 mL ethyl formate was held at reflux for 15 h during which time the mixture became homogeneous. The volatiles were removed under vacuum, yielding an oily residue of the formamide. This may be purified by distillation but this unpurified product can serve satisfactorily in the following reaction. This residue was dissolved in 50 mL anhydrous THF and added, dropwise, to a solution of 1.0 M LAH in THF (40 mL, 40 mmole) which had been diluted with another 50 mL THF. After the addition was complete the reaction mixture was heated under reflux for 15 hours. Reflux was continued as a solution of 40 mL 1.0 M freshly distilled ethyl formate in THF was added dropwise over the course of 2 h. Heating was discontinued and the reaction mixture was quenched by the addition of excess solid sodium sulfate decahydrate at room temperature. The reaction mixture was filtered and the filtrate was concentrated under vacuum to yield 1.15 g pure N,N-dimethyltryptamine as an oil which solidified upon storage in the freezer. The material can be recrystallized from hexane to give white crystals with a mp 67 °C.

Source:
Synthesis of '___'

[edit on 22/5/2009 by Saurus]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join