It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wolverine Succeeds, MPA Now Claims Piracy Supports Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

NEW DELHI -- Its effects on the boxoffice might be the least of the concerns attached to India's No. 1 movie pirating operation.

There is "substantial evidence" that D-Company -- the organized crime syndicate-turned-terrorist group controlled by India's most wanted criminal, Dawood Ibrahim -- "has used the proceeds from film piracy to fund its terrorist organization and activities in India," according to a Rand Corp. report shared Monday by the MPA.

In addition to being on Interpol's most wanted list, Ibrahim was named a "global terrorist" by the U.S. government in 2003 because of his close links to Osama bin Laden.

Full Article Here

This isn't surprising ... just to make pirating look even worse, now it funds terrorism, what the?

what are your thoughts?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I can't stand to hear people claim that buying a certain product supports terrorism. I've heard this about gas, I've heard this about something we can't talk about here, and now this. I think if they're going to blame somebody for terrorist activity, they should blame the friggin' terrorists.

edit - clarification

[edit on 5/5/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

That film was psychological-terrorism...have you seen it? It is crap-crap. I wrote a thread about it, aptly titled:

“Wolverine: ‘Jon G. Raped and Murdered My Wife’ meets
the New World Order.”

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Making such a fuss about a crappy movie will be the death of us all.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i'm not trying to make a fuss of the movie, this was posted about the outlandish claim ...the whole idea of pirating movie's, the example being wolverine and it's early release, funds terrorists

[edit on 5-5-2009 by baseball101]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about terrorist/copyright insinuations; they (MIAA, RIAA, etc) really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The judge in Sweden for PirateBay case, was found to be part of copyright committees, just shows how far they'd go to ensure prosecutions, that will hopefully come back and bite 'em on the bum big time once a retrial begins.

It's just sad they are trying to still persecute torrents as they have no control on P2P technology. They'd prefer to shut down the internet and have us all go to shops to buy bits of plastic for $20, like the 'good old days'; they need to wake and smell the coffee and harness new technology...but they won't

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Actually the corporate filthy rats had to go through the India "Ibrahim" connection because actually the biggest piracy mafia is the "Chinese One" but due to US involvement with China for financial needs no sources in the US can damage, hurt or mangle the tender feelings of the Chinese government because our nation and the fat rats running government and all the various agencies like the MPA cannot bite the hand that feeds the government.

So lets go after India and Ibrahim better in order to get the morons in Washington to change laws against the American people, because India will do what India do best.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't saying you were making a fuss, I meant the powers that be. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Besides, in my thread, I obviously made a fuss about the movie. It was horrible. If you have ever seen Memento (a great film), you would see what I was talking about.

Forwards:

www.youtube.com...

Backwards, which is forward (it's complicated)

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-5-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
How on earth something that is free to download funds terrorism? Do they sell copies of these or something? Afaik India should be pretty up to date country when it comes to internet connection so why would people buy something that is available in torrent??? Makes no sense to me

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

What they likely do, is sell physical copies in the countries they operate in, and in the other countries they run torrent/download websites and make money from the adverts. With a well run site, they can earn tens of thousands of dollars a year at least, big ones like Pirate Bay are alleged to earn millions.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I'm really tired of the MPAA and the RIAA. Both are just making excuses for putting out a crap product.
Maybe if they made things affordable instead of trying to kill the goose that layed the golden egg. They would be in better shape.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
These two articles show just how thick and stupid the Draconian copyright police are:

PRS Demands License Fee To Play Music To Horses
Source: news.slashdot.org.../03/30/1724210

A taxi driver needs one (license) if his passengers can hear it.
Source: www.ralli.co.uk...

I urge you, implore you to please read this, which breaks down the legalese of record labels contracts to musicians. It shows just how one-sided the copyright/royalties are towards the fat cats; this is why torrents should exist, to empower and free musicians from the shackles of corporate greed

top topics

join