It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught on Tape: Military Officials at Bagram Urge U.S. Soldiers to Evangelize in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Caught on Tape: Military Officials at Bagram Urge U.S. Soldiers to Evangelize in Afghanistan

ww w.alternet.org

New video evidence has surfaced showing that U.S. military forces in Afghanistan have been instructed by the military’s top chaplain in the country to "hunt people for Jesus" as they spread Christianity to the overwhelmingly Muslim population. Soldiers also have imported bibles translated into Pashto and Dari, the two dominant languages of Afghanistan. What’s more, the center of this evangelical operation is at the huge U.S. base at Bagram, one of the main sites used by the U.S. military to torture and indefinitely detain prisoners.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Sigh...

More twisting of one of the greatest teachers of PEACE's words by those in charge.

It just boggles my mind how religions tend to ignore the words that were originally handed down by some of the great teachers and turn them into their own twisted, sadistic, control tools to achieve their own sick agendas.

Hunting down and maiming and killing people "for jesus", eh?

ww w.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
How is this for a one word reaction....OUTRAGE!!!

Trying to convert Muslims to any other faith is a crime in Afghanistan. The fact that the video footage is being broadcast on Al Jazeera guarantees that it will be seen throughout the Muslim world. It is likely to add more credence to the perception that the U.S. is engaging in a war on Islam with neo-crusader forces invading Muslim lands. Former Afghan prime minister Ahmed Shah Ahmedzai told Al Jazeera there must be a "serious investigation," saying, "This is very damaging for diplomatic relations between the two counties." Sayed Aalam Uddin Asser, of the Islamic Front for Peace and Understanding in Kabul, told the network: "It's a national security issue … our constitution says nothing can take place in Afghanistan against Islam. If people come and propaganda other religions which have no followers in Afghanistan [then] it creates problems for the people, for peace, for stability."

This is my first issue with this nonsense! It is a crime in Islamic nations to do this, period.

Second, my tax dollars are not going to support evangelical christian dogma and proselytizing by the armed forces! This is past logical and these guys clearly were breaking military protocol.

Considering the religious right in the good old US of A are the primary supporters of torture how nice they want to shove Jesus down the throats of these people. We will get you saved before we machine gun you down. If you are considered a good source of information, we could do the sinners prayer with you in between waterboarding sessions. Remember this is not new footage.

This should be all over the MSM, but this is the first I have seen or heard of this.

Here is a nice snippet on Bagram

warincontext.org...

Great to be a government paid missionary, see link and video

www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with us?

First we try to impose our government on them, and now we try to impose our religion?

Crusades anyone? Why are we regressing, as a nation, to this fourteenth century mentality? What happened to Humanism? What happened to live and let live?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Hunting down and maiming and killing people "for jesus", eh?

No one said anything about hunting them down and killing them for Jesus.

There are other pieces of the article that you are missing also, but I will leave with that correction.

This will soon turn into an Anti War and Anti Religion thread and whatever I type will not matter much, if at all.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have no issue with evangelicals evangelizing....on their own time and in their own name! Not to do this in association with a WAR EFFORT, in of all places an Islamic nation. This is a huge slap in the face to those people and it is not right for our taxes to be used for chaplains to train forces in evangelism. If I am not mistaken it is their job to minister to the needs of the soldiers, not to convert the "enemy" or occupied people.

Where is all the interest in this????

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ah ok, now we're taking the word of Al Jazeera. Ok, now I understand this thread.

I guess you wouldn't quote the part that says

A U.S. military spokesperson, Major Jennifer Willis, denied that the U.S. military has allowed its soldiers to attempt to convert Afghans and said comments from sermons filmed at Bagram were taken out of context. She said the bibles were never distributed. "That specific case involved a soldier who brought in a donation of translated bibles that were sent to his personal address by his home church. He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them," she said. "The translated bibles were never distributed as far as we know, because the soldier understood that if he distributed them he would be in violation of general order 1, and he would be subject to punishment."

Yeah, that would against the intent of this thread. Ok, glad I understand now.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Hmm, seems you have your take on it, and I have mine...Sounds an aweful lot like "hunting" down others who don't share the same belief (of christianity) and calling them spiritual enemies seems to be making the rounds:

In another speech, Boykin said other countries "have lost their morals, lost their values. But America is still a Christian nation." He told a church group in Oregon that special operations forces were victorious in Iraq because of their faith in God. "Ladies and gentlemen, I want to impress upon you that the battle that we're in is a spiritual battle," he said. "Satan wants to destroy this nation, he wants to destroy us as a nation, and he wants to destroy us as a Christian army."

This guy is every bit as big as an extremist as the groups he's pretending to be "morally superior" to IMO.

Again, the true message of peace and acceptance appears to be lost in translation and completely twisted around to fit an agenda of psychopaths.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

So you deny that it could be propaganda?

Not even possible?

Check the post above yours.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Not when the chaplain an officer if I am not mistaken tells them that gifting is a good way to get around the order or rules or whatever. Did you check the link I posted?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

Yes and I read where these gifts were not handed out. So no wrong doing has occured and yet some are acting as if someone broke the law.

This was released for one reason. It was released as propaganda.

top topics

join