It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine flu hits Washington State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
www.king5.com...

I wasn’t too worried before but now that it hit my state it hits a nerve. I planned on participating in a running event “Bloomsday” in another city, that attracts over 50,000 runners and gathers people from around the world. I am not going and will eat the money I put out in advance. This is to occur on Sunday May 3rd.

The words “The Pandemic is imminent” seems to be correct. I expect to see all the states colored in yellow. Washington hasn’t been added to the WHO map yet but may be at 11:00.

Let's hope we have a better immune system, than those in Mexico.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It’s odd that my opinion seemed to change on government intervention.

Prior to this happening in my state I was anti vaccine anti Tamiflu, etc, etc. Now I find myself looking to government for answers, since my children could get ill.

Am I being Naïve? Have any of you had a change of plans after hitting your state. We are closing schools. I agree with that part.

The fear mongering is working on this girl.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is of interest to me as my daughter is planning to travel from GA to Washington state for two weeks next month, to visit a friend, so far I see that is no confirmed to be the swine strain yet but I will be keeping my eyes on the news.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

One guy a 40 year old man contracted the disease while on a trip to California. It makes me wonder if he flew or took another form of public transportation.

It also didnt say where he worked. I hope not at the school.

I'll also be monitoring to see how fast this thing spreads.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yea, but realize there is little to worry about, everyone is over hyping this way too early. I live in King County were most of the cases are and I had my hour of "Oh S#@!" last night. But really I won't be canceling anything yet. So few have died, and most symptoms are mild. If anything catch it now and get inoculated in case it comes back with a vengeance in the fall.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux
Yea, but realize there is little to worry about, everyone is over hyping this way too early. I live in King County were most of the cases are and I had my hour of "Oh S#@!" last night. But really I won't be canceling anything yet. So few have died, and most symptoms are mild. If anything catch it now and get inoculated in case it comes back with a vengeance in the fall.

What about the possible scenario, that the government knew about this in advance and didnt disclose. The incubation period could be incorrect.

There is a reason people in Mexico are dying. It could be more than 6 days to kill. I honestly dont have any faith in what the media says.

Common sense tells me we will see more deaths in the US, replicating Mexico.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

They're dieing in Mexico because they do not have the heath care that we have. I have not read any doctor saying anything along the lines of a different incubation period of the swine flu. I agree there will be deaths, but so far the normal flu is more deadly than this.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
well wonderworld i live 10 minutes from sanofi/pastuer(they are the only place in the usa that makes prepandemic flu vaccines) and my friend and his wife are biochemists there and working on this new one.
here is what he told me yesterday:

tamiflu might work.
the vaccine for the type b might work.
we really don't know yet because this seems to be across between 3 different strains containing both type a and b and since we don't have a vaccine for type a we are scambling to find one and make one that will cover both types and hope it doesn't mutate to fast.
also what is disturbing about this new flu is it mostly kills healthy middle aged people because it actually turns a healthy immune system upon itself as opposed to the others that attack unhealthy immune systems. we still don't have quite enough info yet and even when we do it may take months to produce a vaccine.
yes the vaccines have killed people in the past but if you feel it will help then get the shot, if you feel it won't help then don't. maybe it will help some people and maybe it won't- we just don't know as of yet.
when we find numerous cases of people coming down with this flu after taking tamiflu or the shot we have already, then that will show us they are not very effective.

not a straight quote but that is in a nutshell what he told me.
personally i believe the gov't and pharmas are pushing the shot through fearmongering as a way to make money

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Q13 this morning had a fleeting crawler that said in addition to the 6 probable cases, there were 60 other samples from King Co. sent to the CDC for confirmation this morning. That means at the very least those tested positive for overall h1n1 infection and they just need to determine the strain.

My wife has decided to not take our toddlers to either their indoor play group or to the day care center at our gym until this blows over. I agree with that action, though I thought she was over reacting at first.

Furthermore, there's a planned 5,000+ person Mayday protest/march planned for downtown Seattle tomorrow which will be mostly Mexican immigrants protesting the law many of them are breaking. The fact that this is viewed as being from Mexico and has now hit our area makes me somewhat apprehensive over that march. I definitely see the potential for a backlash against that crowd.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neaux
reply to post by wonderworld

They're dieing in Mexico because they do not have the heath care that we have. I have not read any doctor saying anything along the lines of a different incubation period of the swine flu. I agree there will be deaths, but so far the normal flu is more deadly than this.

Yes I read it's the secondary disease's that are causing the deaths, such as pneumonia.

I also find it odd it only targets healthy young people with good immune systems. That doesnt make any rational sense to me.

I'm not in panic mode and I also quit reading all the swine flu threads they were getting too overwhelming, until it hit Washington.

I dont like this flu being compared to the 1918. I understand we have antibiotics now to trat the secondary infections.

So as of last night it's out of your system now? I'm still kicking a couple desks.

Have you considered buying some masks? I heard they dont work.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

Hi bigfoot, it's been a while.

Thank you for all the info! Living rural doesnt seem to help much if my kids are in school and I travel to town everyday.. That worries me.

I'll just have faith in our medical system and hope for the best. I was also alarmed Nevada got hit. I have family there as well.

I dont look forward to watching the news and see every state and every nation in the yellow.

Youre right about fear mongering. Nothing else has set off a panic yet. Looks like martial law may take hold sooner than later.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Q13 this morning had a fleeting crawler that said in addition to the 6 probable cases, there were 60 other samples from King Co. sent to the CDC for confirmation this morning. That means at the very least those tested positive for overall h1n1 infection and they just need to determine the strain.

My wife has decided to not take our toddlers to either their indoor play group or to the day care center at our gym until this blows over. I agree with that action, though I thought she was over reacting at first.

Furthermore, there's a planned 5,000+ person Mayday protest/march planned for downtown Seattle tomorrow which will be mostly Mexican immigrants protesting the law many of them are breaking. The fact that this is viewed as being from Mexico and has now hit our area makes me somewhat apprehensive over that march. I definitely see the potential for a backlash against that crowd.

You and your wife are smart! When it comes to the Mexican protest I find that alarming.

It's times like this I say CLOSE the border, however it wouldnt work.

This is transmitted swine to bird and bird to swine. The infected birds have no damn borders.

I hope to see the marching Mexican population wearing masks and all others who participate. There is a chance all public gatherings will be cancelled but not soon enough!

top topics

join