It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could we have abilities?, just like heroes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
i have been watching heroes since it first started, i have always wondered if we could tap into some powers that we never knew about, i have been reading about the human genome project, so i think it's safe to say maybe one day we wil fly, have super strength, spontaneously regenerate, power reproduction,power duplication, if i'm missing any abilities please tell me.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I believe despite what the status quo thinks, that we "do" have some "powers" if you want to call them that. Telepathy, precognition, telekinesis, etc etc. I think there is FAR too much circumstantial evidence to rule these things out. I believe that we have more or less evolved out of these abilities although a small amount still exists. As for flying and laser beam eyes and whatnot, probably not. it's really entertaining from a fiction standpoint, (Heroes, X-Men etc), mainly because it allows us to see a form of ourselves that aren't quite so helpless, but I think if "powers" like what you are talking about existed at all, it would be in the animal kingdom where there would still be uses and pressures for them to exist.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

thanks for commenting, and who knows, people with abilities might be out there somewhere.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
We want to have 'powers' so badly that it's a huge fantasy in entertainment. Even more so it's such a big desire that some people happily claim to have 'powers' but when challenged they never seem to be able to demonstrate them in controlled environment. Such things as telekinesis is far fetched at best, but there are individuals who have extreme natural talents. Such as calculating complex equations super fast and memory that doesn't miss anything etc.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I believe we do have powers. Psychokineses, telekineses, telepathy, levitation. As for flying, super strength, xray vision, super speed, not yet, but not impossible either. I'm sure there are many black projects dealing with supernatural abilities.

There are lots threads on this topic, try a search.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The laws of physics pretty much forbid pretty much everything mentioned in this thread.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by science lol]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Actually, science lol, could you explain what you mean by that? Although I agree with you on some of the things mentioned, I don't believe the others can be so easily shrugged off just because we don't have a full understanding of them. Reading studies on the topic, I don't believe the current theories on how they work violate any "laws of physics".

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think science lol is pretaining to the governments version of "the lawsof physics".

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I don't think humans will ever have powers of any kind. The human body just isn't designed for it. For example: Your Eyeballs would never be able to transmit any form of energy. They are strictly set up to receive light. Not to say that you couldn't add something with advanced technology.
There are products coming out that will enhance your eyesight to almost superhuman.
www.eurekalert.org...

Anything related to mind powers has yet to be proven.
The only super powers we will ever achieve will be enhanced abilities like robotics added to our systems.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The huge draw to the "superpower" paradigm in movies and such lately I think has a lot to do with our growing egos. We live in a society that promotes narcisism and self-worship, where we all want to be our own "gods." The media is merely banking on our self-obsessions.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by science lol

Physics does prohibit these powers.

But chemistry/biology might not... and by that I mean genetic engineering, cellular manipulation, etc, for super strength (read that article about the baby who can do the iron cross), for fire-starting (controllable spontaneous combustion?), for super-speed etc (Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps...), etc.

But if you're talking levitation, etc... forget it.

AND REALLY FORGET IT.

Human bones are too heavy for flight. Corneas cannot produce heat a la Cyclops because the heat would burn off the corneas first. Humans cannot turn into steel or phase because that is molecularly impossible. Physics isn't a governmental thing or otherwise, it's just the laws of nature that we have to adhere to because we're living in a physical world.

THAT is really undisputable.

telekinesis, precognition, telepathy etc are not. I, for one, have precognitive dreams many times. It really depends on the extent and quality of "power" you're talking about.

Yeah... so just consider it as a possibility.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by KarlG]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

i am talking about genetic engeneering yes.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mostlyspoons

i agree, that is why they make alot of money.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

i've read the link and it sounds very good, i suppose that's a sort of super power, so you think that one day we will build a suit that could have different powers.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

not really, laws are made to be broken, they might find a gene that can unlock one of our abilities, we only use 10% of our brain, what do you think the other 90% is for?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DEM0N

thanks for posting, i think that their are some powers out there aswell, such as precognition, remote viewing e.t.c.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG

Physics does prohibit these powers.

if you're talking levitation, etc... forget it.

AND REALLY FORGET IT.

you've lived through infinite time and experienced and observed everything?

you understand the absolute potential in any and everything?

oh you dont?

didn't think so.

i love these "definitively speaking.. no you CAN'T!" people.

there IS a science complex enough..SOMEWHERE that can make ALL these powers COMPLETELY POSSIBLE.

you just fail to have the imagination to see that.

what if this capability lies dormant within our junk dna and it just needs to be "turned on"
what if the secret in how to do so has been hidden in religious texts?
or the origonal gnostic teachings of christ and writings of hindu yogis?

Human bones are too heavy for flight.

again.. limited imagination.. limited thinking.
that's sooo 20th century..

what if a nano-scale network of anti-grav "nerves" were "grown" into the flesh? thus anulling the "too heaviness" of the bones?
what if during this change to super human.. the bones themselves changed to something lighter than their current weight?

IMMMM POSSSIBLEEEE!!! you say.,

k there mr definitive. so much for above and beyond and human endeavor .

it's all about the kundalini..
awakening thereof.. and transformation into the newman.
Hello Jerry...

no not that Newman.

the Nova Sapiens

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It is possible! Probably not for our generation or the next, but soon! I know secret organizations are experimenting with this kind of stuff!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
yes it is possible.

learning just takes a while, like just learning to light a small flame with your mind takes about a year.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevengewhat if this capability lies dormant within our junk dna and it just needs to be "turned on"

If there are dormant avian genes that would make our bones light as a bird's (and probably just as fragile) and cause us to grow gigantic wings with the needed muscles... would we even be human any more if we turned them on? I can see how it might create genetic incompatabilities when attempting to have children with normal humans, making this engineered person their own biological species, and they would probably be even stranger looking than some sci-fi aliens.

what if a nano-scale network of anti-grav "nerves" were "grown" into the flesh? thus anulling the "too heaviness" of the bones?
what if during this change to super human.. the bones themselves changed to something lighter than their current weight?

There are a lot of exciting possibilities (and huge dangers) to nanobot enhancements, but sci-fi style anti-gravity isn't one of them. There are "superpower like" abilities to be had though, like more efficient storage and delivery of oxygen causing enhanced endurance, swimming, and maybe even strength. Enhanced healing and automatic first aid, complete disease protection, and probably the ability to influence the world around you too - control computers by thinking it, rearrange raw materials around you into useful objects, almost like "rezzing" things in Second Life, only you need to consume an equal amount of appropriate matter. The trick to doing the most elaborate "tricks" will be finding and storing the energy safely, and of course, any of these things could be abused by someone bent on doing harm. It's a giant force multiplier.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by ngchunter]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join