It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Newfoundland!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So, is it possible to have a real big quake away where tectonic plates meet, like sayyyyyy in Newfoundland, or just little small ones.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Bear in mind this is speculation and I don't have a degree in Geology or earth sciences.

It seems that a large earthquake in sayyyy nfld, would be incredibly rare. Looking at the earthquake frequency data they are nearly all on fault lines. Other geonomic events could happen and I have no idea what's going on under nfld but a large "regular earthquake" is highly unlikely.

I'd recommend keep an eye on the news and geo-news sites. Check about seismic activity and IF things start becoming more frequent then start getting a little worried...

=)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just as a side note... I've been through dozens of earthquakes, many in the 5.x to 6.x range and they're really not that bad!

I also lived through the 1989 Loma Prieta quake which REALLY shook us up. It was scary and changed a bit how I feel about earthquakes but I still don't have any fear of them.

Earthquakes DON'T open up the ground and swallow people, they just shake a bit and generally most damage is from 6.5s and higher, and mostly from falling objects.

~ peace

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

I guess its just that here, we are so used to not much happening in the lines of extreme weather or natural disasters. Worst it gets is like a blizzard. Always felt this island was a sanctuary from all that. Way to go earthquake and destroy that

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have only been following quakes since the Yellowstone activity increased last December, but there are little 3.x quakes in unusual places like NY, GA, UK and now NFL... it seems 'normal' if you consider global earthquake activity over the past 6 months normal. I would not worry until a couple magnitude 5+ pop in strange places.

One thing that I am interested in is something somebody (sorry cannot remember who) once said in these forums.. they look at the world earthquake map on USGS. It reports how many are displayed over the past week. This number usually hovers between 160 and 200, but when it dips below 160 that may indicate a larger quake brewing.

TOTALLY non-scientific, but I am curious to this theory since we are down to 146 as of today.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Intraplate quakes can occur far from known plate boundaries. They are less predictable than regular earthquakes occuring on tectonic plates, and tend to be felt over wider areas.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Quake my ass...

I've been through a few things in my day and I know what I know.
The event was much more like that of a sonic boom or a weapons test.

In Argentia, the event was as such "a rumble which clearly intensified(traveling wave) which peaked with a burst(shockwave) which diminished and ended.

The shockwave could not only be felt locally(air) but also heard(BOOM!). Anyone ever been near an underground weapons test? Sorry if I don't buy into this so readily.

I suppose, the natural progression would be to feel aftershocks.
So its a wait and see deal.

Though many people don't like to hear it it, it remains well known that certain parts of Newfoundland(confidently) are still quite active with US military operations.

It's just to bad that no one has the right to know or say anything about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was home last night during the quake and it shook our house. Around 10:30 last night. It sounded as though an airplane had flown too low and crashed within the vicinity. It wasn't until this morning that we learned it was an earthquake.

Since then I have been doing some research and learned the following.

FAULT LINE:

There is the Dover fault line, which was where Africa, Europe and North America once joined.

en.wikipedia.org...

NOT A FREAK EVENT:

1. There was an earth quake documented in Newfoundland in the Conception Bay North area on March 19, 1884 somewhere between 1:30-1:45.

query.nytimes.com...

2. The largest documented earthquake (7.29) in Newfoundland was off of Grand Bank on November 18, 1929 at 5:02pm.

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hmm, that is strange, I live in NB and did not get the news until just now reading your post.

I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Places that were relatively safe from natural disasters are getting them, albeit small it's still something to monitor.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esstee
Quake my ass...

I've been through a few things in my day and I know what I know.
The event was much more like that of a sonic boom or a weapons test.

In Argentia, the event was as such "a rumble which clearly intensified(traveling wave) which peaked with a burst(shockwave) which diminished and ended.

The shockwave could not only be felt locally(air) but also heard(BOOM!). Anyone ever been near an underground weapons test? Sorry if I don't buy into this so readily.

I suppose, the natural progression would be to feel aftershocks.
So its a wait and see deal.

Though many people don't like to hear it it, it remains well known that certain parts of Newfoundland(confidently) are still quite active with US military operations.

It's just to bad that no one has the right to know or say anything about it.

I wasn't there so don't know what you experienced but the majority of 6.x+ earthquakes I've experienced all had different types of wave motions within the same quake, and 2 had an associated boom or underground snap sound. This is part of the natural aspect of earthquakes in my opinion.

The Loma Prieta quake, from where I experienced it about 25 miles from epicenter, had a very distinct boom, then crackling sound. It rumbled, swayed, waved up n down, back n forth! It was crazy!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Esstee

care to elaborate more on the 'US military operations'??

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Looks like a man made one

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join