It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Newfoundland!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hey guys,
I am in St. John's, Newfoundland, woke up to find today that there was an earthquake (a 3.4, small I know) in the surrounding area. We NEVER have them, they are very rare here, and we as far as I know are not on any edges of tectonic plates. I looked this morning and the closest one is dead smack in the middle of the atlantic.

This makes me very unsettled, like somethign bigger is going to happen soon, somewhere. Your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Here is the link

Earthquake in Newfoundland

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yes...the earthquake activity has shifted to the Northern Hemisphere ......
Interesting indeed..
I generally follow this link:
www.iris.edu...

Might explain the deep activity at Yellowstone as well. Current waves being felt above the 30% latitude mark......

Peace...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gyrochiral

thanks for the link, i bookmarked it!, I am seriously freaked out by the thought that we could have a big quake here or some other huge disaster that is not normal for the area

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm in St. John's too, and what a surprise I got when I read it on the news! The only other time I heard of something like this was en.wikipedia.org...

Cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by curlylocks1978

Yeah, I was reading that too, thats crazy. Its the big buzz at work today, lol. Not sure how I feel about it.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
checked out that link from iris.edu... didn't see anything close to nfld though.... hmmmmm

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm certainly no expert on earthquakes but have spent most of my life in California, near numerous fault lines, and have always been curious about earthquake science.

I was amazed once to hear about an earthquake in Missouri! (central USA with NO fault lines near it). After doing some research I found there are thousands of small fault lines all over the earth. Small earthquakes, specially like the magnitude you experienced, are not uncommon anywhere on the globe.

Of course don't take my (non-cited) word on it, check it out, but also maybe don't jump to any disastrous conclusions =)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
We had a 3.4 in the north of the UK yesterday which again is very unusual... well, they say we have one a year but it gets a little weirder when you're getting them a day later on roughly the same plane....

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure VOCM said that it was caused by something offshore, maybe its the red circle there from today, and I wonder how often this link updates?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

and it also was the same magnitude, I am trying to convince myself this is not the start of something big

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
here's another link which lists the epicenter in Whitbourne ?!?!

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I was talking to a friend this morning, her mom lives in Placentia, she said everyone thought it was explosives going off, madness.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I know how you feel OP. I live in the U.S in the state of Alabama. We had two earthquakes in one week. As far as I can remember during my 20 years of living, that has never happen before.

However, Alabama sits on a fault, but I don't know the name of it. If I remember correctly my seventh grade teacher told me that Alabama is not a good place for an earthquake to happen.

I believe that you are right OP, something big is about to happen. Rather if it is good or bad, I do not know.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Forgive me, I am not really that good with earthquake and stuff like that, but my understanding was you had to be pretty close to a fault line in order to get one. Which from tectonic plate maps I have seen, Newfoundland is not???? Anyone care to clear this up a bit for me please

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
Forgive me, I am not really that good with earthquake and stuff like that, but my understanding was you had to be pretty close to a fault line in order to get one. Which from tectonic plate maps I have seen, Newfoundland is not???? Anyone care to clear this up a bit for me please

Quakes can be felt miles from the source. Example, about four years ago ( I think) there was a quake in Alabama. The quake spead to almost four other states and was felt.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Did you happen to read my post above about smaller fault lines and non-tectonic plate earthquakes? It's not that uncommon to have earthquakes anywhere.

The Alabama fault line is a great example! There's no tectonic plate edge there, but a fault line that produces small earthquakes.

www.worldatlas.com...

Edited to add Alabama info and link to tectonic plate map =)

[edit on 29-4-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Growing up I always thought nothing interesting happened in Nfld... then I found out about this en.wikipedia.org... scroll down to the 'boom'

Now we're having earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged I am seriously freaked out by the thought that we could have a big quake here or some other huge disaster that is not normal for the area

Since I've already booked my flight to Deer Lake, and B&Bs all the way to Labrador...better not happen any time soon!!

Are you sure you didn't just toddle off of George Street?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Have no fear, i've "toddled of George St" quite a few times, hahahaha, in the words of Will Smith, "the ground moved man"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join