It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Pointing Lies From Hollywood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ok, picture this. You're a gangster or a hit-man or someone who carries a piece. You're walking down an alley and a shady dude reaches in his waist band and pulls out a gun. You reach for your gun instantly and point it at this shady dude. Now Hollywood would have a gun pointing stand off at this point, with both men looking down the barrel of a gun exchanging words. This does not happen in real life. As soon as both guns come into play, bullets come out. There is no talking. The fear of being shot makes you pull that trigger.

I feel Hollywood has been purposely feeding us this false reality about gun pointing for years. Why? When SHTF, instead of pulling the trigger when faced with a gun, the average joe would hesitate thinking he could possibly negotiate or something.

What do you think folks? Anyone been in a gun pointing situation?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think you are right on.

If you read accounts of real-world gunfights or watch any of the numerous videos of shootouts that are available online (or talk to someone who has been in one) you will find that the typical 'hollywood standoff' does not occur.

In nearly every situation where there are two armed individuals in an altercation there will be shots fired.

Another myth is that you can draw a weapon and fire against a bad guy who is already holding a gun. It is simply impossible to outdraw someone with their finger on the trigger.

Finally, paraphrasing Jeff Cooper:

DO NOT EVER POINT A FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY INSTANTLY AND PERMANENTLY.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

DO NOT EVER POINT A FIREARM AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY INSTANTLY AND PERMANENTLY.

So true.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Years ago I worked for a top security company who collected and delivered money to banks and businesses etc. I once was held up by a guy in a mask who pointed a double barreled shotgun at me. Let me tell you something, that really messes with you head big style. Messed me up and played mind games with me for months afterwards. I don't think I had a good nights sleep for weeks.
While I agree with what you're saying just the act of having the gun pointed at you can scare the ever lovin s*** out of you. I hope it never happens to me again.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
Years ago I worked for a top security company who collected and delivered money to banks and businesses etc. I once was held up by a guy in a mask who pointed a double barreled shotgun at me. Let me tell you something, that really messes with you head big style. Messed me up and played mind games with me for months afterwards. I don't think I had a good nights sleep for weeks.
While I agree with what you're saying just the act of having the gun pointed at you can scare the ever lovin s*** out of you. I hope it never happens to me again.

I can't even imagine what that must be like.

Even just trying to picture that makes me feel panicky.

I think that's a disservice that TV and movies have done to us. Guns are used as props and they are so commonplace that people don't think about the reality of what a firearm can do.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I've been shot at before, I don't remember alot of talking going on at the time either, at least not on my end of the conversation lol... I don't know why or how but I was strangely calm considering the circumstances. I guess it would have been a different sotry if he had actually hit me, but in the peak of all that fear and adrenaline, all I could think to say afterwards was to ask him what he was watching on tv. Guess it depends on the situation, this guy was a really good friend of mine who went way off the deep end.
You could be right about being conditioned not to react in an armed situation, but I can say from my own experience that you definately never know how you are going to react until you are faced with it. If it happened again, I would probably be scared to death, and if I had been armed at the time I honestly don't know how I would have reacted. Hollywood does play a huge role in our psyche, but I wonder if it's more about dramatics than conditioning.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A while back a neighbor drew his gun on me. It was late and dark and my family was technically gone on vacation but I stayed in town at a friends house. I wanted to get something from my house and at the time didnt have a key but always went in through the dog door. Well, I guess the neighbor heard voices and moving fences and came over to see what was up. He drew on me and I put my hands up and faced him and when he saw who I was he holstered and laughed about it. I thought it was pretty funny and my parents were glad to know the neighbors were looking out. A friend who was with me was a little freaked out but he's from one of those hoplophobe families that brainwash their children into living in perpetual fear. He has since changed his tune having gotten a job in the criminal justice field. Now he goes around promoting private gun ownership and training.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReagrahamLincool

Originally posted by emsed1

So true.

Absolutely true. also, if you think you life may be in danger, do not hesitate...this is the thing, most people who will point a gun lacks the will to shoot. There are a lot of robberies using toy or unloaded guns. I was taught at an early age, and also by the military, if someone makes like they want to shoot you, kill them dead. Imagine a triangle with the point at the head, and the bottom at the waist, and aim there. Here is another thing, these light pistols, such as a Glock, have to be re-aimed after each shot, they are so light they kick. A heavier weapon does not have this effect. And these gang people who hold the gun sideways cannot win in a gunfight with someone who is a good shot, is steady, and is willing. Hope for the best in any situation, but prepare for the worst.

top topics

join