It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

36,000 People die of 'flu in the USA each year

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by mystiq

Why is the fact that it has avian fragments so important? The most important factor is that it is a recombinant of human influenza. That gives it the critical human-to-human transmissability. And of all the infuenzas known, the swine type has proven to be the most lethal. I don't get what makes the avian aspect susch a big deal.

The concern surrounding the H5N1 is that IF it successfully recombines with a human influenza it could, by virtue of the birds' mobility, spread widely and quickly with little chance of stopping it.

H5N1 is a real nasty killer, near 40% fatal I think. If it did turn into a human virus it would likely lose much of its potency, but I think that the real concern is its killing power. If the bird flu kept its potency and became a human virus which spread quickly we well could see 30-40% of the populous killed.

The swine strain is one nasty virus, and if it spreads quickly we are in real trouble on the whole.

Don’t mean to fear monger here. If you did get sick your much more than likely not going to die from Swine Flu.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

Yea, but the thing is H5N1 isn't a human influenza. Its lethality is entirely based upon avian pathology. It's concerning, yes, but there's no valid human model. Of all flus ever seen the H1N1 (swine) is the most dangerous... so far.

The avain flus, however, do have one important risk factor: because they host in birds they have the potential of spreading far-and-wide in a way that would be just about impossible to control.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ok reported like 3 duplicate threads and pointed to this one. If you guys are going to refer to the same news peice over and over it needs to go in one thread. This one, unless theres one predating this.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Not only do I personally believe that the virus was released by government operatives, but I believe two viruses were released. I believe the killer was released in Mexico and another simalar one was released in the US for vaccination purposes and that's why it's milder. The baby that died from the swine flu was from Mexico. I have no definate proof except that even the scientists are scratching their heads as to why one is mild and the other sopposedly from the same virus is a killer.

If I wanted to pull off something so evil where I wanted to use a boi weapon, I would want to create a weaker virus to use to make my people create the antibodies to prevent a catch of the killer one. This way no one needs to line up for needles. You only need your neighbor to cough around you.

That being said, I treat all viruses the same. I wash my hands often, don't pick my nose, and don't touch my eyes. And I hold my breath when someone near me sneezes and walk away.

Notice in this article how there was the killer virus and another flu at the same time.

www.cnn.com...

PS. I had to move this reply here because someone is getting other threads closed cause they don't like more than one. I find it irritating when that happens as I tend to have respect for the OP of each thread. I don't like it when people have me shut down, and I won't do it to others, I'll always let it be and let it run it's course. That's my humble opinion on that.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
.. how would a 'killer flu' from mexico be contained to only mexico? Didn't get its visa or something?

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous theory. Our 'milder' flu would head to mexico, theirs would head up here, and we'd probably all be dead. Just saying.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
You can't contain a killer flu, however, you could make a weaker one to give to people so that they can't get the killer one since they would have the antibodies needed to prevent infection. But Mexico is a good testing ground for a bio weapon because they have a lot of pig farms in certain areas. Not though that not a single pig has the virus we're all talking about.

The milder flu would be less likely to go to Mexico in great strength because the US is not swarming the Mexican border. That is why they would release the milder version first.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
March 1918 Fort Riley, Kansas: 100 soldiers fall sick.

September 1918: 63 Soldiers die in one day

635 new cases of influenza reported. Churches, schools, and theaters are ordered closed.

October 1918: The death toll in Boston is 202. The stock market goes on half-days.

The epidemic reaches Seattle, Washington, with 700 cases and one death at the University of Washington Naval Training Station.

Philadelphia records 289 influenza-related deaths in a single day.

New Mexico, which reports its first case and death.

In a single day, 851 New Yorkers die. The death rate in Philly for the period of a single week is 700 times the average. The Chicago crime rate drops 43 percent.

Dr. C.Y. White announces he has developed a PREVENTATIVE VACCINE. More than 10,000 complete series of INOCULATIONS.

END OF OCTOBER: The deadliest month in the history of the United States, with 195,000 Americans succumbing to the influenza.

-------------------
That is like 6 months. More importantly, as the weather gets colder and you enter FLU SEASON, the deaths MULTIPLY. Also, after the VACCINATIONS the death rate SKYROCKETED.

Everyone needs to keep this in mind.

Not everything in life is a fad. Not everything in life only has 15 min of fame.

Not everything in life is immediate. Not everyone with a red cross is trust
worthy.

Don`t think this is the end of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Data from 2003 suggests that on average 36,000 people die from 'normal' 'flu in the USA each year

And about 36000 peoplein 2003 got flu shots coincidence?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
So much for the myth of "36,000 flu-related deaths a year." If you believe that number, I'm sure there's a job waiting for you at the U.S. Treasury Dept., too, where numbers are materialized out of thin air on a daily basis in order to finance the national debt.

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Originally posted by tgambill

So much for the myth of "36,000 flu-related deaths a year."

Of course, you don't quote from the article you linked to, or provide the complete story, to support your trashing of the CDC "estimate." (It's always reported as "an estimate.")

Your link includes the following:

I tracked down the origins of this number on CDC.gov, by the way. Turns out it was an estimate derived by the CDC in 2003 (www.cdc.gov...).

I'm not disagreeing with the number. It's probably a fairly accurate guess (the CDC folks are a smart bunch).

www.naturalnews.com...

Deny ignorance!

jw

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The figure of 36,000 is complete B.S. Only about 6,000 die of the flu, the rest of flu like symptoms, but *not* the actual flu. The 6,000 are all 65 years old or older. A graph of flu deaths against vaccinations shows zero affect of the vaccine against deaths. The info on actual deaths is (or used to be) on the FDA's own website where it stated in plain english that only 6,000 actually died of the flu. And I have a picture somewhere of the vaccine graph, but I cannot find it right now. Anyways as long as you're not very old, or have a completely shot immunie system, the flu (even of the swine persuasion) won't kill you. Take some vitamin D and forget about the profit driven vaccines and the hype.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

R u an idiot. Yes, people die from the avg flu, but they don't die at a very high percentage when contracting it. Why don't u go get a shock for the swing flu and see how u like it. I sure it's going to take time to spread, but once it does, 30k is going to be a insignificant number.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by amfirst

What evidence is there that a higher than average number of people are dying from this Mexican H1 virus?

Here in the UK there is strong evidence that people contracting it are recovering quicker than they do from some other H1 variants.

The only danger with Mexican H1 is if it merges with an H5 strain and we get a real pandemic in the winter.

Still, I guess it's more fun to panic

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
I appreciate this is old news, but I think it's useful to get a sense of proportion here.

So far just over 100 people have died of Swine 'flu in Mexico and exactly 0 have died in the USA.

Data from 2003 suggests that on average 36,000 people die from 'normal' 'flu in the USA each year

Source

Using new and improved statistical models, CDC scientists estimate that an average of 36,000 people (up from 20,000 in previous estimates) die from influenza-related complications each year in the United States. In addition, about 11,000 people die per year from respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), a virus that causes upper and lower respiratory tract infections primarily in young children and older adults. The study demonstrates that most deaths caused by RSV occur in the elderly.

Whilst Mexican Swine 'flu may have to potential to become a serious pandemic, let's, for the time being at least, keep a sense of proportion, eh?

Or maybe unnecessary panic is what people want?

Good points.

So far, only 1 baby death from swine flu in US. Been pretty quiet here in Asia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join