It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wait, i'm confused. EVERYBODY explain why i should be afraid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Ok i'm seriously lost. So like everyone else i've seen swine flu on tv but it seems blown out of proportion to me. I read from wikipedia (good ol' quick wikipedia) and some of the stuff here and it just sounds like another form of the flu. I don't know if i'm just not old enough to understand that there an actual threat when it comes to the flu. Clearly the case of the 1918 flu was a huge concern, but it's not that there is a raging destructive strain of the flu every six minutes.

If on the news they said, " yesterday there was 3 cases of the flu and now 10,000 cases today" I'd probably get the message, but ummm no I don't see a threat when something has just started. Every virus or issue like anthrax gets posted on the news as "oh s*** we're all gonna die" and then we're still here in six months and I'm stuck thinking back asking what the big concern was. I'm getting lost in the idea of being told every so often "this MIGHT possibly could kill everyone, maybe".

I really am leaning towards the concept of the media intentionally trying to induce mass hysteria for no other reason other than to win a day-time emmy. Or maybe the conspiracy theorists are right about a shadow government (not like the British one - thanks Prof.) bent on creating a world of fearful individuals who are easily manipulated, creating a new regime of totalitariansim and informing on your neighbor... however that word is spelled... tacobellarism. Or hell even just a way to boost stock values of certain companies in order to make money. Are we just bored and need to scream "we're all gonna die!" so that we feel excited for a few months? I don't buy into when I see on something like the history or discovery channel that we're overdue for a massive disaster. Just because something happens on average every so many years does not mean that it works like clockwork. It's an average, not a calendar event.

But yeah I understand that people do die from diseases and maybe someone can actually logically explain to me what I should know about this. As far as I can tell though, this is all just fear based manipulation.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I on the other hand think the exact opposite of you.

I think the media is down playing the seriousness of the virus. For example, some person in Washington D.C. was upset that the EU announced a travel advisory to the US.

The media wishes to alert everyone, but not spread panic. If you are skeptic of the seriousness possibility, by all means keep right on living.

In 3 weeks time, we will understand quite a bit more about the seriousness. I'd hope everyone is trying their best to be "germ aware" for the time being. It is the only thing you can really do at this point.

Outbreak is outbreak, people are quite wrapped up into daily lives, even if it means working themselves to death.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by sticky]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
there is no reason to be afraid...

if you start seeing curfews being set, military setting up quarantine zones or guys walking around in space suits...then you should start to worry...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kiwiemperor

My concern is the fact it is a combination of three flues, a,b, avian and swine. General Honore made mention on Fox of the possibility this strain could have come from a lab. The media may for once be able to give us the low down on what is really happening.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
it proves the point of what its doing, everybody is talking/thinking about it, while other things go unnoticed, it's a chess move by the NWO/Illuminati

could be for many reasons..

another fear mongering tactic

population control

Depopulation

could be a way to set up mass FEMA quarantines, which could lead to FEMA camps..

it's coming..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kiwiemperor

there's no need to be afraid, just a health scare ... i don't know if anyone else noticed, but if you look at the pharmaceutical's stock prices, they've risen a good amount ... the conspiracy theorist in me wants to think there's more to everything ...

i could just be babbling though

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Remember that terrible Avian Influenza that was spreading like wildfire and killing off millions of people at astounding rates?

I don't remember that either...

I do recall the media hyper-sensationalizing a story to keep people glued to their television for the next update. I do recall hundreds of pictures with Japanese citizens walking about wearing medical masks. I cannot seem recall the disease killing half the human population. In fact, only 248 people have been recorded as having died from the disease since 1997.

I see a lot of parallels between the beginning of the Avian flu pandemic and the Swine flu pandemic. Lots of hysteria, lots of panic, but nothing to be afraid of.

The biggest stat no one seems to care about: 40 laboratory confirmed cases in America, 0 deaths attributed to swine flu.

Scary?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What I would like to point out is that not the media but all kind of official Government agencies are creating all the buzz. Every day there are updates and press conferences by the CDC, WHO, NYC City officials, The White House, Governors.... etc. It would surprise me of the media would not report this.

I really don't know how afraid we should be. Where I live there have been no suspected cases (yet). Looking at the numbers I see no reason to be worried. But looking at all the buzz I almost got worried.

My guess is that either the numbers will go up very soon and quick. Or all those government people just want to use this to show there relevance.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You should be afraid because how is Donald Rmsfields giant share of Tamiflu going to skyrocket?

Come on! Think of the share holders!!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Its funny, I can remember the SARS pretty clearly as I am near Toronto and we lost 40+ people to SARS. I also remember china being accused of under reporting deaths and also not reporting the outbreak until a 3rd party (from canada I believe) found out about it and reported it to WHO.

So given this info from the SARS thing. It would not surprise me if Mexico did/does the same thing as China did. Report it late, and downplay the actual death toll.

I think it was a couple of months after the first cases before there were deaths reported in other countries.

I have a feeling this will get a bit worse before it gets better. But it is confusing when you hear that there is shots that will stop it and then you hear that medical staff in Mexico have died after vaccination. so.......... will be interesting days ahead

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Look here's the thing, it's just important not to become complacent. The WHO, CDC etc...really are just keeping up with things. We have never seen a global pandemic that has killed millions - sure we know that they happen but very few and I mean very few alive today lived through the 1918 Spanish Flu which is our most recent devestation.

It will happen again at some point in time with some random virus that will mutate. The H5N1 avian virus is still cause for concern, SARS all these things mean is that we have no immunity because they are new to our bodies and when that happens and we are introduced to a new virus the experts do not and can not predict what will happen. We only have history to draw conclusions upon and that history tells us that things new viruses can wipe us clean. That and we are about 6 billion in population with many different modes of travel. It just puts us at a greater risk each and every time.

But it really comes down to personal responsibility and taking care to wash our hands and keep clean and not spread germs.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
In short, the answer is simple. It is a "new" virus and we don't know what it is or will be capable of when it slows down it's evolution. From the looks of things we may be on the road to hell.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What if tomorrow or even the Day After Tomorrow, aliens appear and offers us a cure for all of our diseases...and in return they just want to watch us fornicate?

There is no such thing as(non-voluntary) death and women can only become pregnant when they want to ?

This should scare you because it is a possibility, perhaps even more remote than an ATS member dying from the flu

of course there are those that play the trends and there are those that play the odds, so you never know

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
There is no reason to be scared of dying. It happens to millions of people
everyday, and is the most natural event in physical existence. The only
thing that dies is your body, who you really are, you can call it the soul,
is immortal. Many scientists, especially hypnotherapists will tell you the
same.. the immortal soul is no longer the domain of religion, it has been
supported by many scientists across the world.

Dying from the swine flu is no worse death than getting hit by a car and
breaking your spine. You asked why you should be afraid? I'm telling you
there is no reason to be afraid. If you want to lose your fear, I suggest
reading the many scientifically supported Near Death Experiences on the
internet, such as on www.near-death.com where you'll find many reports
from people that have clinically died, and reported what they have seen
in the afterlife. This has nothing to do with the brain by the way, those
scientists that claim it is linked to chemicals in the brain, have absolutely
no evidence, no theories or even a shred of a clue, to support their claim.

So yeah, there is no reason to be afraid. Fear has never served anyone,
and there are several ways to get rid of your fear of death.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

Good point!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWRHINO
What if tomorrow or even the Day After Tomorrow, aliens appear and offers us a cure for all of our diseases...and in return they just want to watch us fornicate?

There is no such thing as(non-voluntary) death and women can only become pregnant when they want to ?

This should scare you because it is a possibility, perhaps even more remote than an ATS member dying from the flu

of course there are those that play the trends and there are those that play the odds, so you never know

This sounds like some kind of kinky fantasy you have. I can honestly say that I've never heard of aliens wanting to watch us "do it". Come on now.

Are you writing a weird sex book about aliens and hot women from the planet Earth? It's far from a Harlequin Romance novel, but you could probably get it picked up with Pinguin books.

top topics

join