It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahmadinejad: Iran would accept 2 state solution if Palestinians did

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in an interview broadcast Sunday, said his government would accept a two-state solution for Israelis and Palestinians if Palestinians did.

"Whatever decision they take is fine with us," he told ABC's "This Week."

"We are not going to determine anything. Whatever decision they take, we will support that. We think that this is the right of the Palestinian people. However we fully expect other states to do so as well."

unexpected from this man and maybe a change of tone towards israel by the iranian president?

im doubtful because the issue here is so complex and the hate is so deep .

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

There is only 1 warmongering country in the middle east

and its not Iran

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

dont turn this into an anti israel thread.

hope for a solution and path towards peace is always a good thing when it comes to the middle east.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

yeah i tend to agree.

iran's going down one way or another ... doesn't matter what iran says or does. never did. never will. they are an impediment.

ahmadinejad is shrewd in the way he calls world attention to their plight though.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
reply to post by Seany

dont turn this into an anti israel thread.

hope for a solution and path towards peace is always a good thing when it comes to the middle east.

Dont turn this into a anti israeli thread ???

who are the 2 states you think they are talkin about?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
how many times has a suicide bomber killed an israeli citizen?
how many rockets have fallen into israel?
how many times has a middle east country called for the destruction of israel?

the hate is deep here like i said, its just nice to see anything that gives a glimmer of hope.

who are the 2 states you think they are talkin about?

israel and palestine of course. isnt that the idea behind the two state solution?

[edit on 26-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Ok

lets play this game , there are 3 countries invovled in your thread

Iran
Israel
Palestine

Lets wait and see which one of those nixes the plan

OK

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

there is no plan at the moment, these are just words out of this mans mouth.

i can see you are totally biased against israel so why would i want to play any such game with you.

i am not pro israel or pro iran.
i am pro peace in the middle east though and i do belive the people of palestine deserve their own state.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Agreed elitegamer23. The blame game has gotten peace in the middle east nowhere. Can't a post about the m.e. not turn to blaming one side or the other and just discuss how to finally get both sides to agree on something? My only question is why they need Irans approval to do anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Albania has said it will agree with a two state solution for Iran. The population take one part, the lunatic imams and their business cronies get the other.

The media reports on anything contentious said by anyone with profile.
90% of the time it's empty words and posturing.

Iran's current leader is floundering in desperation. Insecure people talk too much, hoping for attention.

You'd think having one of the largest oil reserves in the world would mean an opportunity for a buoyant progressive intelligently run international state.

Instead Iran, once a proud country with intelligent industrious people, is economically on the brink of collapse, under lock and key of religious delusionals wanting an Islamic Revolution with themselves at the forefront.

They have the option of just saying not threatening Israel, but are too caught up in their own rhetoric to take it. So they gain Brownie points with anti-Semites in Mid-East and abroad. Millions love to hate.

Meanwhile the world wishes they'd just shut-up and deal with their mounting domestic issues like feeding and educating their children, improving living standards for the tens of millions of poor in the country, and act responsibly.

The average Iranian is young and confused by growing realization they're living in a country that acts like it's begging to get it's head blown off.

Leaders can make or break a country. Iran has had bad luck in this department.

Mike

[edit on 26-4-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm very interested in how a two-state solution would work in Israel. It seems to be a commonly used phrase but I don't know if many people have thought very hard about how practical it would be.

There are three contentious areas which are considered by many to be occupied territories:

Gaza - formerly part of Egypt
Judea and Samara (aka West Bank) - formerly part of Jordan and includes East Jerusalem
Golan Heights - formerly part of Syria.

None of these three areas are connected without going through Israeli territory. There is also no Palestinian national unity - for example, people from West Bank have no affinity or connection with people from Gaza. The only thing that unites them is their hatred of Israel.

There is also the question of the bitter hostility between rival Palestinian factions - Hamas and Fattah are two examples. They hate each other almost as much as they hate Israel.

A peaceful solution will be a compromise which all parties can live with, and must therefore guarantee future security for the 7 million Israeli citizens as well as providing the various Palestinian factions with their own land and a fair share of the region's resources. At this stage I cannot see how this can be bought about with so much long-standing hatred.

I'd like to remind people that blame Israel for the Palestinian's lack of statehood that the successive left-leaning Israeli governments of the last decade have worked very hard towards achieving a "two-state solution". They were willing to make huge sacrifices, at the expense of the people that elected them, in order to achieve peace (I refer to the unilateral withdrawal from Gaza). Sadly the result of this was more suicide bombings, more rockets, more attacks on Jews, and less peace.

A solution to this ongoing crisis can only be found when the people involved (or even people that aren't involved but have an opinion) can sit and discuss matters like adults.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

unexpected from this man and maybe a change of tone towards israel by the iranian president?

im doubtful because the issue here is so complex and the hate is so deep .

Unexpected?

He's been saying this for YEARS.

Iran's President Ahmadinezhad Holds New York News Conference 21 Sep
News conference by Iran's President Mahmud Ahmadinezhad at UN headquarters in New York -- correspondents' questions in English simultaneously translated into Persian -- live
Islamic Republic of Iran News Network Television (IRINN)
Friday, September 22, 2006

(David Pujadas) Let us clarify everything. Do you really wish to wipe Israel off the face of the earth? Do you have a plan for this job or are you in fact making such a prediction?

(Ahmadinezhad) Look, I told you the solution. I think the people of Palestine also have the right to determine their own fate. Let them choose for themselves, the Christians, the Jews and the Muslims. That is, all the Palestinians who belong to that land can participate in the referendum. I think the outcome of such a referendum is already clear. We saw what happened in last year's elections (when they voted for HAMAS).

(David Pujadas) If the Palestinians themselves accept that two governments should enjoy peaceful coexistence next to each other, will you be ready to accept their decision?

(Ahmadinezhad) Incidentally this is what we are saying. That is, we are saying let the nation of Palestine decide for itself without any imposition. They should be allowed to do so in a free atmosphere. This is the right of the Palestinian people. Let them decide for themselves. Let them decide the shape of their own government.

(David Pujadas) Do you mean with Israel as their neighbor?

(Ahmadinezhad) Look, let the nation of Palestine decide about its own state. This is the right of the Palestinian people. . .

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

He's been saying this for a long time. Question is, why are people suddenly listening?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
First, i would like to hear any Iranian official use word "Israel". Because they say "Zionist regime/entity/whatever". What would he recognize? I would love to hear Iranian president saying that he recognizes state of Israel beside Palestinian state. So far it is twisting, turning, empty phrases and such.
He publicly criticized Fatah leaders for speaking with Israel and publicly declared support for Hamas that does not recognise Israel at all. So this is words game.
And as for two state solution - there are plans for territorial exchange (Negev vs Judea/Samaria) and plans for coridors. This is not what is most important. Even Jerusalem partition is more or less settled. The real issue is refugees question and there could be no common ground. In my opinion.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I would think the PA's main priority should be improving the lives of Arabs living in West Bank and Gaza right now, not those that lived there 60 years ago?

new topics

top topics

join