It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to give up a sense, which would you choose?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Testing a theory here.

If you were faced with a situation in which you had to lose the use of a sense forever, but you were able to choose, which one would it be, AND WHY?

Remember that if you choose the sense of smell, you will also lose the sense of taste. And for the purpose of this thread, please assume that there is no 'sixth sense', like I do. Thanks!

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
sight. Mine's already poor, and I've done those dumb things like go to the next room with out your eyes pretty well. I could just use the other senses to copm. for it.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Sight, the loss of which could be replaced with the added hypersensitivity that the other senses would 'evolve' to.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I have to go with sight too, but for me it is because I am slowly losing it already and have grown used to the idea. It was hard for me to exept because my eyes were my best feature so long ago

The one I would hate to lose the most is my sense of humor

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Smirkley,

I borrowed your signature for another thread header. Hope you don't mind. It was very appropriate...

DC

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I would choose the sense of taste. The only thing it does for me now is keep me from eating things that I don't like the taste of but are healthy.

I'm surprised at how many people picked sight. This is the very last sense I would choose to do without, for a number of reasons.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I'm surprised at how many people picked sight. This is the very last sense I would choose to do without, for a number of reasons.

well what are they? you seem to say you have resons alot then never show.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
speech. you can still see, hear and tatse things. and there's sign language and body language to replace speech

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I would choose the sense of taste. The only thing it does for me now is keep me from eating things that I don't like the taste of but are healthy.

I agree 100%

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am not sure speech is a sense is it?

(DeltaChaos - no prob, just give credit where it is due..
)

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
no, it isn't.

they are touch,sight,heaiting,taste,and smell

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i would have to choose taste, because it is the easiest to live a normal life without. you can still smell when food goes bad, so you wouldnt have to worry about eating old food and getting sick from ignorance, plus eatting involves more than just taste. it involves smell, sight and texture(feel), so without taste, the three other sences used would be heightened(like when you become blind) so wouldnt be lacking enjoyment from eatting.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShirtNinja

well what are they? you seem to say you have resons alot then never show.

Reason 1. Getting around. Try walking to your closest grocery store while keeping your eyes closed. Watch out for the cars. Oh, you can't. Listen for the cars then.

Reason 2. Reading. Sure there is Braile (sp?) but not all books have been published in that format, have they? How would you like having to ask every waiter that waits on you in a resturant to read you the entire menu?

Reason 3. Paperwork. Put on a blindfold. Now, try balancing your checkbook, or telling the difference between a $1 bill and a $20 bill.

Reason 4. Trust. Once again, put on a blindfold and then try to pick which clothes you are going to wear. Unless you are actually clairovoyant or have someone that you can trust to do this for you, then you are lible to walk out your door looking like some retro 70's person. Loss of sight means dependance on someone else, even for very simple things that sighted people take entirely for granted.

Reason 5. It's would be really difficult to surf the Internet and come participate on the ATS site without sight. It could be done as I believe the technology does exist (in the early stages), but it's certainly not nearly as easy.

I could come up with a lot more but I think my point has been made.

As to your accusation that I don't give reasons, most of the time I say that it's because my reasons usually have been posted in a previous post within the same thread. It's a little redundant to repeat myself all the time. In this particular thread, I would have thought that the reasons would be obvious to those who actually took the time to think about it for a little bit

Sounds like you are just trying to pick a fight, my friend.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Actually, you would not lose taste if you lost the sense of smell. The reason why most things tastes so bland when you are sick is not because you can not smell - its because the things you are eating don't really are that bland!

Almost all products you find in the super market don't actually have a taste (mostly processed crap) - their tastes is disguised by smell. To find out if something truly has a good taste, all one has to do is close their nostrils while eating a food. Do not depend on your sense of smell to tell you that something tastes good - it usually does not, because you are blinded by it's smell.

Manufacturers know that most of their food tastes like crap, that is why they disguise the taste with aroma. Non-manufactured foods (usually natural foods) have a a taste where you do not need your sense of smell to enjoy them.

So, what sense would I get rid of? Probably my sense of taste. If I got rid of my sense of smell, I would not be able to enjoy any of those bad-tasting, great-smelling manufactured foods. Also, if I got rid of smell, I would not be able to smell if something was wrong, such as: smoke, certain gases, sewage, etc...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
sense of touch. it would be pretty cool to not be able to feel pain. then u could just wail on some1 all day and not feel tired or hurt

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
the only problem with that silQ, is that it would be hard to hold things(or "wail on some1") when you dont feel your hand make contact with whatever you are trying to come into contact with. Intresting idea though.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
sense of touch. it would be pretty cool to not be able to feel pain. then u could just wail on some1 all day and not feel tired or hurt

Actually, that's pretty dangerous. Hanson's Disease, or Leprosy causes various degenerations of the nervous system. The main danger in this is the risk of hurting yourself really badly and not realizing it. (Does anyone remember Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever? Most depressing hero ever. LOL).

Also, you would still get tired. That happens in the muscles.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I could live without the sense of taste and B pretty HAPPY about that~~~~making it easier to eat well!

Ive pondered this thought before~~~~~AND
I would rather hear, than see.....and rather smell than taste~~~( know I KNOW they are connected)

I dont know if I could stand it if I lost my sense of touch .....for the ability to have an orgasm is one of the MAIN reasons I am in human form this time around....phychic-gasms DONT count as much as the physical.....(2 me at least)

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I would take away my sense of touch. Not being able to feel pain or the bitter cold is kinda cool. I guess you can't feel anything on the surface of your skin, but you can feel broken bones.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The sense of smell....then I would not have to bother with bathing any more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join