It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Bank wants £40,000 from G20 girl

news.bbc.co.uk

The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) has demanded £40,000 compensation from a 17-year-old girl who admitted attacking a branch during G20 protests in London.

The girl, who cannot be named, admitted burglary and criminal damage when protesters targeted the Threadneedle Street branch of the RBS on 1 April.

Prosecution counsel told West London Youth Court the bank wanted to recover the losses incurred during the protest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is unbelievable.. absolutely absurd.

A window and a computer does not cost 40 grand. The girl is unemployed and relys on friends and family for handouts.

Why on earth the RBS has decided to go for such a larg amount of compensation from one person is just insane. After all the bailouts they have received and after all the years of ripping customers off with excess charges...and their normal day to day rip offs and scams, you'd think they would have a heart..

but 40 grand.. if i was her i would have just refused to pay and ask the judge to lock me up... but then the bank would only pass the cost to the customers somehow.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
hopefully once the lawyers on the other side do a "discovery" on her to see what assets she has, they'll just drop the case. (no money for them to grab)

and hopefully she won't end up in years of strung out jail time, that'll just forward the bill to the tax payers.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

They can ask all they like, if she is unemployed then they arent gonna get very far.
Why should she get held responsible for it all anyway, their were several people involved and like it was pointed out, it was a window and a keyboard & monitor.
Probably a grand tops.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Even if she did try to pay it, a court will accept a minimum of 30 pounds a month as she is unemployed. So that's like 1333 months to pay off 40k. or 111 years if my maths works out right...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's called "punitive damages." She had no right to do what she did, and this will make sure she doesn't attempt to do it again.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
A window and a computer does not cost 40 grand. The girl is unemployed and relys on friends and family for handouts.

Regardless of the amount being absurd, which it is, her being unemployed and relying on handouts makes her actions even more inexcusable if anything.

These are enemies of the movement. Everytime there's a protest there's idiots coming along with everyone maybe because they have nothing better to do. And all they do is make the good people have a barbaric image when they are nothing close to that.

Such people deserve no sympathy in my opinion.

When people are organizing rallys and protests they need to encourage some people to not come along for the ride.

Like the many idiots in tea parties with the dumbest and offensive and irrelevant picket signs which the media then focused on.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Maybe next time she wont admitt to damage a building, knowing that there going to try and come after her.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

or maybe next time she won't do the damage to begin with
that would be a much better alternative.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately her parents maybe lible for the costs. What a tart, people like this don't deserve any sympathy.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

Regardless how much the actual damage cost is doesn't matter. She shouldn't have vandalized the building in the first place. She broke the law and instead of demonstrating in a non-violent matter she now has to pay the consequences.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This really has nothing to do with what this particular girl did, I agree that what she did was detrimental to the cause and in no way should be, let off scott free...

she and a few others have played right into the PTBs hands, I believe that the PTB were expecting a real riot to occur with extensive damage and a lot of arrests, if this had happened we would be about to see some very harsh jail sentances handed out

as this did not happen and this gilrl has admitted to something, she is being used as the scapegout to send out a message......that being:

Dont (insert word) with us, We bite back and we can bite hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
My guess is that they will press her to name others in the pictures of the protests. Those others will be pressed until there is some unlucky person that has assets who will end up being sued by the bank.

The overall objective will be to get people to implicate others.

Soon everyone will be identified.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
£40K is a little insane, but really she bought it on herself. If she has a clean sheet, then personally I would just fine her the cost of the window and computer, and maybe £1000 as punitive, and that fine would then be on her record for 5 years so that she will have to declare it for jobs, that will be quite a big punishment, as she will have trouble getting a job for 5 years.

EDIT:

To the person saying she won't have the money anyway, when courts fine people in the UK, they are often able to pay over time if they are unemployed or otherwise can't afford it all in one whack. If they miss one payment, a warrant is issued for their arrest.

[edit on 25/4/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well, you heard it at ATS first:

Immunity from your crimes, as long as you are unemployed.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I'd tell them where they could stick it. And if they didn't shut up about it the whole thing would blow out of proportion. RBS is in no position to make demands from anyone in Great Britain regardless of damages. They have helped to ruin Great Britain and deserve nothing but contempt in Return.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
its called 'solidary liability' where any one person who caused the damage can be liable for the whole of he plaintiff (being the bank) damage.

This means that the defendant can cross claim against other people who were involved also.

It is a civil matter so less likely she go to jail unless obviously she cannot pay up

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Can't they loan her the money to pay for the damages? And they could roll the first years interest into the principal so she wouldn't have to make payments right away. No Down, No Payments till 2011!!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
LOL. Even Anarchy isn't free.

Punitive damages may be a little high but I agree with the intent.
You break it, you bought it.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
They want 40,000 from a 17 year old girl?

... Okay. Have the girl write them an IOU for 40,000 and never actually pay it... that's exactly what the banks are issuing us.

Its fair. You can't feasibly argue it isn't.

If they can invent imaginary sums of money to give us in loans, then we should be allowed to invent imaginary money to give back.

Doesn't matter how much damage is done to their property really, cause in the end, it all amounts back to an imaginary sum they invented.

So smash away.

Nobody loses.

top topics

join