It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A 46-year-old woman from Palm Beach County died of swine flu virus, the county health department confirmed today. Her death marks the third from Palm Beach County.
With the 49 confirmed cases in the past week, the county total is now 247.
Long Beach (myFOXla.com) - A man in his mid-20s was confirmed today as the first person in Long Beach to die from swine flu.
The man had an underlying medical condition and became sick in late June and was hospitalized, according to city health officials. He died earlier this month.
In the last three weeks, 15 other Long Beach residents have been hospitalized due to the H1N1 influenza virus, known as swine flu. More than 73 total cases have been reported in the city since the beginning of the outbreak.
Health officials noted that while a decline in swine flue activity occurred in May and early June, reports of the virus have increased statewide over the last five weeks.
Statewide, there have been more than 400 people hospitalized and more than 60 deaths due to the disease.
Questions have been raised as to how Warilla toddler Kody Tobler contracted swine flu while in an isolation unit at Sydney Children's Hospital.
Kody's parents Justin and Kristy, who is three months pregnant, said it took the hospital almost a week to tell them their child had the illness.
The 18-month-old, who has been in hospital since birth with the rare intestinal condition gastroschisis, was due to visit home for the first time on July 9.
In the lead-up to the homecoming, his parents were told Kody had influenza and was unable to make the journey.
With his depleted immune system, even a common cold can put his life in danger.
Mr Tobler said it wasn't until July 12 that a doctor took him aside and told him the illness was swine flu (H1N1).
He said he questioned the staff on how his son could have caught the illness while in isolation but did not receive any answers.
Two men from Hillsborough County and one from Hernando County have died from swine flu, marking the Tampa Bay area's first fatalities from the virus.
The Hillsborough cases involved 44- and 49-year-old men, both of whom had underlying medical conditions that put them at greater risk of complications from flu, said Health Department spokesman Steve Huard.
The Hernando man was 40. It's uncertain whether he had pre-existing conditions that may have contributed to his death, said Health Department spokeswoman Nina Mattei.
((CBS) Three weeks ago, Katie Flyte, then six months pregnant, developed a cough and fever. She had the H1N1 virus, commonly known as swine flu, but three different tests missed it. She is now in a drug-induced coma, unaware she's given birth.
Kenny Flyte, Katie's husband, said on "The Early Show" Thursday the virus would have been caught if doctors had used a more expensive test to detect it. He told CBS News an X-ray taken six days after her fever began was completely white, showing the flu's spread throughout her body.
Since the premature birth of their daughter, Abbey, the newborn has rallied, and is now doing "excellent," Kenny said. And although still in a coma, Kenny said Katie is doing well.
Kenny said he just wants people to become aware of H1N1, and protect themselves and others from spreading the virus.
"They don't know enough about this H1N1 to really understand how to fight it," he said. "It's been 23 days, and (Katie's) still being treated for the H1N1. ... This isn't something to take for granted."
Maryland state health officials on Friday reported their fourth swine flu-related death. The latest victim is an adult from the Eastern Shore.
Unlike others who have died from the virus, officials said, this person does not appear to have an underlying medical condition or risk factors. But, the investigation is continuing.
The state does not provide the name, age or hometown of the patients who have died.
On Thursday, Virginia state health officials confirmed their fourth death from swine flu, also known as H1N1 virus. The victim was a Prince William County woman who had underlying health conditions
A woman with swine flu died in a Nova Scotia hospital early Friday — the province's first death linked to the virus.
Public health officials said the woman in her 50s was hospitalized two weeks ago with the illness and died within the Capital Health District.
No details were given, but officials said she had underlying health conditions.
TRENTON, N.J. - Fifteen people in New Jersey have died from swine flu since the pandemic was reported.
State health officials say the latest victim is a 54-year-old woman from Union County who had several underlying medical conditions.
The woman died at Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth.
New Jersey has confirmed 934 cases of swine flu in all 21 counties.
Singapore has a fourth death among H1N1 patients, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in its latest statement.
She is a 42-year-old Chinese female with hypertension and thyroid disease.
The woman sought medical treatment at Changi General Hospital's (CGH) Emergency Department on July 18 after five days of fever, cough, sore throat and shortness of breath.
She was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on the same day.
She passed away earlier in the morning.
The cause of death is pneumonia, with Influenza A (H1N1-2009) infection as a contributing factor, said MOH.
BUENOS AIRES -(Dow Jones)- Argentine President Cristina Fernandez suggested Friday that developing countries should be allowed to "lift patent rights" so they can produce more vaccines to battle the A/H1N1 flu epidemic.
In a speech at a regional Mercosur leaders summit in Paraguay, Fernandez said changing the status quo "does not mean disavowing the patents law," according to a report by the state news agency Telam.
Fernandez called on leaders to work "to lift patent rights and that way allow a vaccine to offer solutions for millions of people."
Fernandez said countries like Argentina and Brazil both have highly developed pharmaceutical industries and should be able to produce vaccine "that wouldn't be free."
"But," Fernandez added, "it's beyond question that we're confronting a situation in which the needs of millions of people cannot be subordinated to economic interests."
Mercosur is a regional customs union founded by Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.
July 24 (Bloomberg) -- Scientists wondering why swine flu has killed more people in Argentina than almost any other nation are studying whether a more dangerous mutant has emerged.
The Latin American country has reported more than 130 deaths from the pandemic H1N1 flu virus since June. Analyses of specimens taken from two severely ill patients showed subtle genetic differences in the virus, the International Society for Infectious Diseases said in a report via its ProMED-mail program yesterday.
Scientists from Columbia University and Argentina’s National Institute of Infectious Diseases now plan to decode the complete genomic sequences of at least 150 virus samples over the next 10 days to gauge the frequency of the changes and whether they are linked to more severe illness. Major changes in the pandemic virus could erode the effectiveness of vaccines being prepared to fight the scourge.
“We are cautious about the findings until we have more sequences,” said Gustavo Palacios, assistant professor of clinical epidemiology at Columbia University, who is participating in the study. The changes already noted haven’t previously been associated with greater virulence, he said today in a telephone interview from New York.
Roche Holding AG’s 454 Life Sciences unit, which makes genetic-sequencing technology, is helping to decode viruses swabbed from patients’ noses and throats. The sequence data will be shared with other scientists for broader analysis, according to ProMED.
Old underground burial chambers in a Devon city could be used to store the bodies of swine flu victims if the outbreak worsens, a council has said.
Exeter City Council has identified the empty catacombs in Bartholomew Street as a potential mortuary.
A council spokesman said it could turn to the plan if the crematorium and cemeteries could not keep up with funeral demands.
The 19th century burial chambers are normally a tourist attraction.
An Exeter City Council spokesman said: "As part of our overall planning for a range of possible scenarios we have looked at what we might do should the current crematorium and cemeteries within the city not be able to keep up with the need for funerals.
"We have some empty catacombs in an old cemetery in the city, off Bartholomew Street.
"These are 19th century underground burial chambers which are normally a tourist attraction.
"They can however be safely used for their original purpose and allow us to temporarily store bodies in the remote possibility that the need should arise."
Approximately 1 in 6 public health workers said they would not report to work during a pandemic flu emergency regardless of its severity, according to a survey led by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
The findings are a significant improvement over a 2005 study conducted by the same research team, in which more than 40 percent of public health employees said they were unlikely to report to work during a pandemic emergency. The new study suggests ways for improving the response of the public health workforce and are published in the July 24 edition of the journal PLoS ONE.
"Employee response is a critical component of preparedness planning, yet it is often overlooked. Our study is an attempt to understand the underlying factors that determine an employee's willingness to respond in an emergency," said Daniel Barnett, MD, MPH, lead author of the study and assistant professor in the Department of Environmental Health Sciences at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. "Overall, 16 percent of the workers surveyed said they would not report regardless of the severity of the outbreak."
With the death today of a Nigerian woman of 33 years at the Hospital Son Llàtzer Palma de Mallorca, and a man of 71 years who was admitted to the Hospital Universitario La Paz Madrid, Spain sum four deaths from influenza A (H1N1), two and a half months after the first confirmed case.
Resistant strains of H1N1 appearing in Canada
By Paul McEnhill
Today the fifth case of TamiFlu resistant swine flu has been confirmed. The fifth case was in a man from Quebec, Canada. the man aged 60 was given antiviral drugs after his son became sick. His father also became sick but researchers quickly discovered that he had a new strain of H1N1. One that was resistant to TamiFlu.
There are very few cases of this strain at the moment but they are starting to become more common as more and more people are taking TamiFlu. People tend to think that taking TamiFlu before contracting swine flu will prevent them from catching it but it actually they are promoting resistance.
There is one other antiviral available which is being recommended to pregnant mothers called Relenza which has similar properties to TamiFlu.
The reason why people get agitated by this finding is that the UK government is stockpiling Tamiflu for more than 70% of the population and if a resistant strain starts to circulate; then the antiviral tamiflu is worthless to the sufferer. Although taxpayers may still need to pay for it
BOGOTA, July 23 (Xinhua) -- Death toll of the A/H1N1 flu rose to 9 in Colombia after a patient died in the northwestern city of Medellin, the authority said on Thursday.
The Social Protection Ministry confirmed that a woman in Medellin died of the flu Monday in local hospital.
"She came to hospital on July 13 and was hospitalized immediately," said the ministry, "but unfortunately she deteriorated badly and finally died.”
Since the flu was first detected in Colombia on May 3, there have been 245 confirmed cases and 2,480 suspected cases in the country so far, including the nine deaths.
Six of the nine dead were from the capital Bogota, and two each came from Soacha and Viterbo.
The Colombian government has tightened control at hospitals and health centers to avoid a large-scale spread of the disease in the country.
It was possible that the number of A/H1N1 flu cases would increase rapidly in the country during the coming rain season, said the ministry.
HANOI, July 23 (Xinhua) -- A 31-year-old man has died of A/H1N1flu, the first death from the epidemic reported in Laos, the Vientiane Times reported Thursday.
The man, who lived in Lao province of Borikhamxay, had a history of respiratory problems, obesity and diabetes, said the newspaper. The man, who was not identified, was also a heavy smoker and drinker.
Lifestyle-related factors could lower the man's immunity to the A/H1N1 virus, said Bounlay Phommasack, head of Lao National Emerging Infection Disease Coordination Office.
According to his family, the man had never been abroad before. He showed flu-like symptoms on July 9 and was transferred from a provincial hospital to Lao capital city of Vientiane on July 17. The man died later that day.
Other family members of the man were tested negative to the A/H1N1 virus, said the newspaper.
So far, Laos has reported 56 influenza A/H1N1 cases.
BREVARD - County health officials have confirmed a 55-year-old Brevard man had the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, when he died at the local hospital on Tuesday.
The man was admitted to Transylvania Regional Hospital on Monday, July 20, with pneumonia and suffered flu-like symptoms for several days, according to Transylvania County Health Department Director Steve Smith.
Test results for H1N1 came back positive for the patient from the state lab in Raleigh today, Smith said.
Though the test confirms the local man had the H1N1 virus, further tests will likely be needed to see if that was the cause of death, he said. This is the first confirmed death associated with swine flu in Transylvania County.
The hospital has not released the patient’s name, but his family has been notified of the test results for the H1N1 virus.