It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's organic garden angers US farming companies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

We make the hydroponic nutrient out of compose and manure (farm store) and make a tea out of it by putting this in a bag. This is filtered and run though UV light to kill and bacteria (E-coli is also killed). And it is much cheaper to do, I am glad the the first lady is doing this. It shows that someone is thinking. I have a small green house made out of PCV pipe and I have less than $350.00 in the whole setup including the hydroponic stuff. If anyone needs to know more, just PM me. Great thead!

MBF

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
If Michelle wants to grow an organic garden, then great for her. I just wonder if she will be doing the work or somebody else. Gardens are great, I started back to growing a garden last year and they can help cut way back on your food bill. I just don't know if there is enough organic fertilizer produced if lots of people go this route. If you work in the garden regularly, you may not need to use chemicals, which is fine. Lots of people love to bash the use of chemicals to produce food. Planting a garden is a LOT different from planting fields. Like it or not, the only way to produce food this way is to use chemicals. Would you like to go to the store to buy food and find worms or weeds in it? I have grown produce in the past and used chemicals on all the crops. I have eaten some of all the produce I have grown. I would not use anything on the crops that would harm me or anyone else and most farmers feel the same way. As for GM crops, virtually all food crops have been modified from their original form into what we eat today. The corn we have today started out looking more like a grass than what we have today.

corn

more corn with drawing

I have grown GM corn and eaten it and do not have a problem doing it again.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I myslf am somehat a gardener, been doing it since i was 12..34 now. Nothing big, but have gornw ltos of stuff overtime...pumpkins, squash, zuccini, starwberrys, watermelons, tomoates, ect ect ect even greew an apple and peach tree once! Bravo mrs. first lady, for staying and going organic... ive used mircale grow, scotss, some others, fertilizers and peticides over the years, unil recently doing my research, and discoveing mainstream stuff is made of oil and chemcials with names even astro physic scientists themselves cannot pronounce...
I wonder if this tells us, michelle knows how bad monstantos is, for example? As the first lady, it would be awesome if she led this example, get movement going,a nd push Monstanos off the map
What i find kinda out of the ordinary is...wastn department of agriculter...isnt the guy running it, hand picked by obama..a Monsantos thug? I wonder what he thinks abuot michelles garden..judging from what ive read, i would not be the leat bit suprised, if he goes sneaking around her garen at night, and taints it with thier cancer agents

But nonetheless and regardless, kudos and awesome job acomplished and done michelle obama!!! < claps hands in support of others to join in

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
While I agree that we don't need "crop protection products", which means pesticides, I must point out that organic gardening is not without its own set of problems. Perhaps the most serious is that manure is put onto some products that are then eaten. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be one of the causes of the various salmonella outbreaks the US has suffered over the past few years.

My guess is that this problem may be avoidable if you carefully wash the vegetables, but I don't know this for a fact. It's just something to consider.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I don't understand. According to the conspiracy theories President Obama is part of the NWO plans. Genetic enegineering of crops and especially Monsanto are also part of the NWO master plan.

This activity runs contrary to the conspiracies......unless there are no NWO conspiracies and the Obama's are simply people doing a job with their own belief systems. Oh my god shock horror now there's a thought.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is one of the most important and impacting threads I have yet seen on ATS. Thank you so much OP.

If anyone finds a way to send a message to Michelle, please post it here so others can also express their admiration and gratitude and give the lady the support she may well need to stick it to the chem-boys

ciao

[edit on 24/4/09 by RogerT]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
While I agree that we don't need "crop protection products", which means pesticides, I must point out that organic gardening is not without its own set of problems. Perhaps the most serious is that manure is put onto some products that are then eaten. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be one of the causes of the various salmonella outbreaks the US has suffered over the past few years.

My guess is that this problem may be avoidable if you carefully wash the vegetables, but I don't know this for a fact. It's just something to consider.

A true organic gardener doesn't let any vegetable come in contact with manure (in the raw state). My guess would be you are a little confused about organic in the proper sense. All the “tea” that is use in our foods have been ran through a filter and the scanned with UV light (medical type) to kill any and all water born germs. Then it is put into a recycle tank where it is used over and over until that crop is finished and bubbled constantly (to maintain oxygen levels) high oxygen, no bad germs. Proper PH is maintained for the item that you are growing and all vegetables are fed from the root level and never from the top of the plant. Since the vegetable is grown in a medium and not a soil, salmonella is rare to never happening. All plants should be washed before eating, but I have a hard convincing the grand kids with straw berries.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
Would you like to go to the store to buy food and find worms or weeds in it?

Nothing wrong with a bit of worm in your diet, and yeah, some weed in my brownie mix would be nice, ha. That would sure be preferable over eating pesticides.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

I's just a political commercial to get the left to vote for them and to look good with the left. That's all. There's nothing to be confused about.

Originally posted by MBF
I just wonder if she will be doing the work or somebody else. .

I'm sure she isn't getting her hands dirty.

The 'organic garden' is a gimmick. It is a political ploy by Obama to get votes from the left.

In real life .. with you and me .. it would be great.

Coming from the White House it's just a political commercial.

baaaah humbug.

edited to add question .... did she have one of these on that property in Chicago that they bought from nefarious fellon Tony Rezko? Was she taking time from her $300,000 a year position (note that I said position and not job) from the hospital in order to work the garden with her own two hands? As far as I know .. the answer to both questions is no. So like I said ... the white house 'organic garden' is a political commercial.

[edit on 4/24/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't know about this story. I do not believe we are getting the whole story hear. Why do I think this, gee, look at the source for one.

Outrageous Political Disclaimer Alert Alert Alert!
Avert your eyes!!!

I Did Not Vote for President Obama (Change we can believe in)...

Alert Alert Alert

End of Outrageous Political Disclaimer

However, if the woman wants to grow an Organic Garden, LET HER! Why is this news in the first place? I think Personal Gardening and Self Reliance is a tradition that has been lost over the years due to our laziness to do work and our desire to stuff large beef circles down our throats.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The 'organic garden' is a gimmick. It is a political ploy by Obama to get votes from the left.

In real life .. with you and me .. it would be great.

I agree. The new tactic is to jerk people back and forth between hope and hopelessness. So this moment with the Obamagarden is meant to be a swing of the steering wheel toward hope (obviously) but don't worry, the real destination is not toward hope, and in this car, most Americans are looking out the rear window of the vehicle anyway.

OP has a good point. It was proven in 1990-1993 during Soviet collapse, that even when the government stops feeding you, a small garden plot will keep you alive. But this is like one grain of real cane sugar in a sea of Splenda/Sucralose (tm). It is meant to be observed and applauded, but realness as such, is outdated for most folks and also for American farmer geting his daily bread from the Gene Splicers.

American Plant-Farmer is now owned by American Gene-Farmer.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Well as a mom and an organic gardener, I hope she gave them them the finger.

This is just infuriating. Or a public gimmick. I can't decide.

It suddenly smells like another Oprah situation.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ruckus49

not all genetically modified food is bad.

Wow that one line post of yours (above in all it's entirety) just begs for you to include what GMO foods are not bad for you.
Then again, that could explain why it's a one line post.

I hope Michelle Obama sticks by her (do I dare say) guns and doesn't give in.

Great Post.

peace

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Mrs. Obama is just a symbol of a lot of households these days. Personal gardening is growing every year.

This is the letter of a threatened company. With the rise of people wanting organic food, the more threatened they are. Now with someone as powerful as M. Obama, she is just symbolizing their fears and driving another nail in the coffin.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I am against gentically modified food. So don't get me wrong, but I do have to play devils advocate.

Many of the veggies and fruits we eat today has been grown to suit our purposed.

Take corn, that we eat and use in abundance. Indians cross bread and changed corn quite a bit when they discovered it.

You actually probably wouldn't recongize original maize if you actually saw it.

Just because it isn't done in a lab doesn't mean that it hasn't been done.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Manure is also put into non organic farming. So your point is mute.

That is why you wash your veggies.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Yeah that is one of the new ploys be it pesticides or electric cigarettes or what not... support us or people will lose jobs...

considering that these products are harmful to the environment and destructive, i couldn't care less.

The only ones that I know who use chemical pesticides are farmers... most of the people that I know who garden at home go organic as much as possible...

Who wants to be spraying poisons around your home?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
thank you to the posters here who are calling a 'spade' a 'spade' (get it?) -- anything coming out of Washington is politically motivated.. nothing more; this is a left/right faux paradigm move on the part of the White House to make it look like 'Mrs. Obama' is thumbing her nose at the establishment (remember the 'Black Widow' outfit on election night?)..

nothing could be further from the truth; she won't get her hands dirty at all, and I'm not even sure that letter from the lobby is even real..

the whole thing stinks of propaganda.. after all, what have we gotten 24/7 from the government for the last few decades?

diversionary tactics 101 -- don't believe the hype.. what a joke

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Breeding plants (hybridization) isn't the same as genetically engineering plants. With hybridization, the plants have to be closely related so that they can cross-pollinate. As a home gardener you can do this with your own plants, and mother nature does it too. Genetic engineering involves inserting DNA from completely unrelated species, sometimes even different kingdoms (animal DNA into plants, for instance), something mother nature never intended.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Republicans don't have gardens?

I think I have met a few republicans with tomato plants.

What a silly statement.

Coming from the White House it's just a political commercial.

Of all things? a vegetable garden? We are not talking about removing land mines from war stricken countries.

I just wonder if she will be doing the work or somebody else. .

Who cares?
I get my son to help me with mine. I get my husband to help me. And the stuff I do buy at the store was picked by someone I haven't even met.

Just because someone is affluent doesn't mean they don't prefer to do the work themselves.

WE have all seen Giada from everyday Italian cooking. She comes from a very very wealthy and well known family. yet she prefers to cook for herself.

And it may not even be about MO getting her hands dirty but about time constraints. You don't know.

diversionary tactics 101

carrots and squash are diversionary tactics? LOL

MO is a mom first and foremost. And any parent wants the best for her child.
As a parent, not only do I want what is best for my child, but I want other children to have good clean food as well.

All she is trying to do is set an example. And a very good one.

Good heavens, to attack such a simple stance and what is obviously a personal agenda for someone is just barpatinship bitterness.

I don't care if this was the Cheney's, teh Bush's or the Clintons or anyone else. I would applaud them for pressing on such an important subject such as providing clean unadulterated food for their families.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by nixie_nox]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join