It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's organic garden angers US farming companies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Are you kidding me? You want to send her a email praising her for adding to the destruction of the White House lawn?
I guess it won't really matter in the end because there won't be a blade of grass left on the north, east, west or south lawn when they leave the White House.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It's interesting, actually, that the letter from the corporate farming industry has been publicized.

It's also interesting that one of the most recession-proof products in the last few months has been gardening dirt, compost, etc. People have evidently even been lining up for it in some places, the demand is so great.

Our home gardening attempts here have been often stymied by the local armies of gophers, squirrels, birds, rats, etc. It's easy enough to stop slugs (the answer is copper tape), but these other critters keep on coming. We have had the greatest success so far with artichoke plants, various edible greens, summer squashes, cucumbers, herbs, and garlic.

I agree it's unlikely that Michelle Obama is doing all or even most of the gardening. Let's hope she will agree at some point to be interviewed by Organic Gardening magazine to clear up some of these questions.

[edit on 4/25/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

No, actually, are you kidding me with this reply? I'm not even going to address the overtones at the moment, but you do know that there have been gardens there before right? No one is 'destroying' the lawn.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

Are you kidding me? You want to send her a email praising her for adding to the destruction of the White House lawn?
I guess it won't really matter in the end because there won't be a blade of grass left on the north, east, west or south lawn when they leave the White House.

are you kidding me???

You are concerned about grass?

me thinks not

Let her have a food garden she is living there... You want to change it, run for president

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

LOL LOL LOL,

This is drama at its worse. I doubt that any garden in the Whitehouse will be in the front facing the public. It will be in a reserved spot in the back.

Dont get me wrong here...I like a pretty yard as well as the next person..but Id rather have food than prettys. If Michelle wants a garden of any type ..organic or non organic..none of my buisness or yours.

More power to her. You go Michelle. Also ..she did not run for President..her husband did. Dont put the onus of such cheap politics on her for wanting a garden...that is bottom scrapping at its worse.

As far as I am concerned ...if Barrak wants a garden at the WhiteHouse...no problems with me here either. More power to him as well.
Oragnic or non organic. None of my buisness.
And by the way....I didnt vote for him.... I was for the other guy...but I still believe that if either of them want a garden..that is thier buisness..not the publics buisness. Nor the buisness of the seed or fertilizer companies.

If they want to haul horse or cow manure to the Whitehouse ..no problem here with me either. Its better than much of the bull coming out of Congress from both political parties.
None of mine or your buisness if they get the staff to help with the garden either. They want to can food ..Im ok with that as well.

When they leave the Whitehouse...the next occupants want a garden or not...none of my buisness as well. Nor yours.

You go Michelle.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
my god you people... you are all missing the point; this is why propaganda works so well in this country -- because you all get emotionally involved in some issue or another around a story; this is not the point!! the whole thing is 'smoke and mirrors', 'political theatre', total BS....

I can't believe any of you are arguing this and that about organic gardening, Michelle Obama's rights, corporations, etc. it's all a smoke screen!!!

please shift your paradigm people; let's see things as they really are -- everything that happens in the mainstream is planned, orchestrated, fiendishly designed to keep us guessing, keep us confused, keep us argueing about pointless things, whilst TPTB continue to drive the human race towards some horrible end..

I beg you ATSers: let's do our homework, and stop getting caught up in the 'hype'; let's use our energies to reveal the truth, to expose it, and to stop those who wish to see us fail...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

i dont know HOW to email Michelle Obama, but a good idea is to email barack on the congress site and tell him its for his wife. Im sure the staff will take care of it.

yay organic. yay healthy. we were at a family party today and we wre talking about how our cousin, when she was 2 yaers old (female) did 15+ perfect pushups. only a healthy child on good food can do that.

MBF

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by roboboy
alot of farmers are brainwashed by the use of chemical fertilizer because it's simpler and easier to use than organic methods but it's based on how much knowledge you know about gardening.

Farming and gardening are two completely different animals.

most of farmers say about 75-80% of don't know nothing about organic and are too lazy and ignorant to read and learn about gardening with organic methods so they go with the simpler route, the chemical route.

We are neither ignorant or lazy. Sixteen + hour days are common and several crops that I grew, I would have only 4 hours of sleep at night for about 8 months. Many of us have college educations, I personally have 4 years in mechanical engineering and was offered a full scholarship in physics so we are not stupid. We are aware of organic farming and have discussed it among ourselves. It has its merits, but there is not enough organic fertilizer produced to supply all farmers. Some farmers around here use chicken litter for fertilizer when it is available, but the supply is limited. That is why we use chemical fertilizer.

i used to garden with chemical then switch to organic and i was suprised how well plants grow with organic and was able to get 5-7 times more yield than chemical! beneficial microbes and fungi in soil helps to break down the nutrients and feed the plant and also the protects roots and boost root amd plant growth with hormones and enzymes produced by the beneficials so no need to spend extra cash on growth enhancers. it's funny when people prefer chemical over organic without even knowing that plants and beneficials had evolved their relationship in over millions of years so they are made for to take care of each other.

Having an organic garden and an organic farm are two different things because of the scale. I personally know an organic farmer and have watched his farming over the past 20+ years. He is a good person, but he does not produce very much of anything. He buys produce from other regular produce farmers in the area and will carry it to another state to sell at his "organic" vegetable stands.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by volitionawareness
my god you people... you are all missing the point; ........

.....keep us argueing about pointless things,

Sorry bro, you're the one missing the point here.

Publicising and discussing the merits of having a home organic veggie patch is not pointless.

In fact, I'd say it's probably one of the most, if not THE most, important moves to make if you want to stay healthy or perhaps even survive in the not too distant future.

And that's without even mentioning the 'honoring the planet' issue, or the 'connection with nature' issue.

Survival, becoming a steward of your environment, connecting with the source - not much left to accomplish in life once you got those down.

Here, I'll go one step further: if you want to bring down TPTB and end this tyranny on Earth, start an organic veggie patch and feed your body, mind and spirit with the bounty of nature.

Get it now?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The companies are annoyed because they know this could start a trend.

I know my grandfathers generation was quite accustomed to growing organic gardens of their own. I remember his tomato garden the best... absolutely loved that smell.

It's unfortunate I never asked him for advice on growing crops.

I had to laugh at this article though, when the farming companies claimed "nobody has enough time to grow a garden"...

... wow, just under a century of automation evolution, and they think we don't know how to rig a timer and a garden hose together?

What, do they think we're standing out there waiting to water the plants with a jug?
My garden mostly takes care of itself thanks to my knowledge of automation... and it's on the balcony of my apartment, not some plot of land. lol.

Nothing tastes quite like organic.

I only check up on it maybe once a week to de-weed it, and loosen up the soil when needed.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Originally posted by volitionawareness
my god you people... you are all missing the point; ........

.....keep us argueing about pointless things,

Sorry bro, you're the one missing the point here.

I understand what volitionawareness is saying..that the whole concept is a PR stunt. I dont care if it is or not.

If a person including Michelle wants to grow a garden on thier own land...no problem with me. Organic or not. None of my buisness.
It is also no one elses buisness.

I encourage people to get in this habit anyway. Growing little gardens of thier own. Or even big gardens if they so choose. No problem with me on this. We dont need Michelle or Barrak to tell us this.

I am also not interested in if it is a PR stunt or not. I dont look on anyone in Washington DC or anywhere else...Hollywood, New York or Nashville, Motown as my gods or idols to follow. I will think it through for myself thank you.

I have also used horse and cow manure in my gardens here. Dont need nor am I interested in any BULL out of Washington DC..nor their petty shills ..the media ..on or about my garden habits. Plenty of BULL around here of my own making. Everyone else can take a hike.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Are you kidding me? You want to send her a email praising her for adding to the destruction of the White House lawn? I guess it won't really matter in the end because there won't be a blade of grass left on the north, east, west or south lawn when they leave the White House.

You seem to miss the importance of her organic garden.

Congress is trying to outlaw organic gardens through the very sneaky H.R. 875, which is labeled as the "Food Safety Modernization Act", but in actuality is a guise by Monsanto and other corporations to force GMO foods and patented seed on everyone.

Having the First Lady being for Organic Gardening gives us a HUGE ally!
Read the political landscape, and stop worrying about a few hundred square feet of White House Lawn!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

MBF, thanks for setting the facts straight on the differences between gardening and farming, etc. When you talked about the lack of organic composting materials, it reminded me of the information provided on that topic in a used book I recently bought on Amazon website:

The Findhorn garden : pioneering a new vision of man and nature in cooperation, by the Findhorn community. copyright 1975, Harper & Row, New York, NY. Paperback, 180pages.

Note: The "Find" in Findhorn rhymes with "wind." The Findhorn community is on the eastern coast of Scotland; luckily they also have a website with much more information about their intentional community, which got started in the 1960s. Another book about them, The Magic of Findhorn, by Paul Hawken, written also in the 1970s, gives Hawken's personal observations during the startup process at Findhorn, noting the phenomenal sizes of vegetables and the community's ability to grow species which were normally completely impossible to grow at Northern latitudes, etc. It's quite a story.

Anyway, the first book I mentioned (The Findhorn garden) confirms in considerable detail what you said about the importance of and difficulties associated with assembly of organic compost, and how the Findhorn community solved that problem. They came up with unique solutions, but there may be ideas there that you can either employ yourself or adapt to your local environment.

Hope this helps.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join