It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's the remotest place on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Where's the remotest place on Earth?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/00a17d66bb44.jpg[/atsimg]

The maps are based on a model which calculated how long it would take to travel to the nearest city of 50,000 or more people by land or water. The model combines information on terrain and access to road, rail and river networks (see the maps). It also considers how factors such as altitude, steepness of terrain and hold-ups like border crossings slow travel.

Plotted onto a map, the results throw up surprises. First, less than 10 per cent of the world's land is more than 48 hours of ground-based travel from the nearest city. What's more, many areas considered remote and inaccessible are not as far from civilisation as you might think. In the Amazon, for example, extensive river networks and an increasing number of roads mean that only 20 per cent of the land is more than two days from a city - around the same proportion as Canada's Quebec province.

from the New Scientist

In this age of Google Earth, cellphones and highways the earth is getting smaller and smaller.

If you are an evil genius/NWO/aliens where do you build your secret hideout ?

I often have to go to the red parts of the map, do you ? Anyone has been to the dark parts ?

If something happens somewhere remote, chances are that no one will be there to know.

I had the impression when I was reading the article that this was of interest to a lot of the info here. Anyone else want to share stories about remote places ?

[edit on 21-4-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The remoteset place on Earth is south pole Antarctica. Too bad it's also the most inhospitipal place, apart from maybe the top of the Himalayas, so building any kind of base there would be a very big task indeed.
The best place to build a secret hideout would be right in front of people's faces, right under their noses. Why? A person is smart, but people are thick, too thick to see things in front of their face.
Build the base/hideout in the city and put a big company logo on the front. Sheeple will have no idea.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Maybe remote -- in the sense of safer in a survival situation -- is underground or underwater.

I would guess that there are few places on the surface of the Earth that is more remote than the bottom of either the Mariana Trench, or even the Cayman Trench.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The most remote (inhabitable) spot on Earth is Pitcairn Island. Google it and you'll see what I mean.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

My first response to the remotest place on Earth was my ex-wifes heart

But after reading the posts, i see you mean locations...

I used to work in a mine ,

2465 feet down, it gets remote

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

"The Pacific pole of inaccessibility (also called Point Nemo), the point in the ocean farthest from any land, lies in the South Pacific Ocean at 48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W, which is approximately 2688 km (1670 mi) from the nearest land (equidistant from Ducie Island in the Pitcairn Islands to the north, Maher Island off Siple Island near Marie Byrd Land, Antarctica to the south and Motu Nui off Rapa Nui in the north east). It is in the middle of an area of 22,405,411 km² (8,650,778 sq mi) of ocean, larger than the entire former Soviet Union."

If your looking for the Island furthest away from any other land mass it's Bouvet Island and it's really not a very nice place!

Here is a pretty good wiki page on extreme points of the world with such tid bits as:

The most remote major city with a population in excess of 500,000 is Honolulu in Hawaii. The nearest city of comparable size or greater is San Francisco, 3,841 kilometres away.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The most remote (inhabitable) spot on Earth is Pitcairn Island. Google it and you'll see what I mean.

Its pretty damn remote. Antarctica is actually closer to large land masses, and even has more residents (on an annual basis).

Here are all the residents by the way, that woman right up front has to be the looker of the bunch, too bad she's already taken

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...:Habitantes_de_Pitcairn.jpg

[edit on 21/4/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

This is as remote as it's get. The stories and facts about this island is very interesting... only 46 inhabitant.
en.wikipedia.org...

There's a nice village in Quebec, Harrington Harbor, I went to work there last year. It's on an island in the St-Lawrence Gulf that is not as remote but for North America it's a good start

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The most remote place on earth is Remote, Oregon. The most inhospitable place on earth is the White House. The most beautiful place on earth is in Canada (Canadians won't reveal its location). The most fascinating place on earth is Billy Bob's use car sales in Italy. The coldest place on earth is my ex-wife's heart. The warmest place on earth is in my mother's heart. The driest place on earth is in the middle of the Pacific on board a passenger ship that's run out of booze. The smokiest place on earth is Herb's Pot House in Jamaica, etc., etc., etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
[REPLY TO OZ; REPLY FUNCTION NOT]

A slight aside..... now, in the picture, on the far left is a boy, behind him a younger child, then a woman, then a man with a John Saxon-like downturned moustache, then......... WHO IS THAT??? I think it's ...... Charles Bronson!! Go ahead, look!
en.wikipedia.org...

Okay, that's a remote place. I bet everyone there has the secret responsibility of a vote as to who comes to live there.

I meant to say Cayman TROUGH earlier. All the rest of the convergent boundaries are called TRENCHES. hmmmmmmmmmmm [arches left eyebrow]

[edit on 21-4-2009 by argentus]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
After searching many and several databanks, poring over multiple maps, geographical statistics, considering oceans and population centers, it was determined that there is one clear answer.

The remotest place on earth has to be Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.

This is the only place on the planet where the population is so isolated, that they have even lost touch with the rest of the world.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
The remotest place on earth has to be Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.

This is the only place on the planet where the population is so isolated, that they have even lost touch with the rest of the world.

By that criteria there are a lots of places where they have lost touch with the rest of the world. DC would surely be one ... Ottawa woudn't be much better ... Vatican lost touch a long time ago ...

I find it fascinating that even for a small remote island in the pacific we can easily find websites, aerial pictures ... I bet we could find tthe name of the 46 persons there.

Interesting trivia ... I read earlier that the main export of Pitcarin Island is webdomain name ... for a island of 46 ... they sure have a lot of websites

But now that I think of it ... .pn must be for all of polynesia ?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I've been to some red parts. Observing the map you could say that the remotest place on Earth would be somewhere on the ocean far from ship/aircraft routes. But even in some yellower parts there are some difficult, inaccesible spots you can be after a lot of hiking/climbing/etc.
So I believe that if you could zoom in like Google Earth, on the yellow part there would be even more little red dots now and then.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by seb2882]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

LMAO!!!!

Looking up Pitcairn Island in google the first thing i noticed was the google ad to the right of my screen:

Pitcairn Islands Dating
Browse photos of people in
Pitcairn Islands. Meet them now!

For an island with only 48 inhabitants (from nine families) i guess finding a partner from a different gene pool is a task in itself.....

Peace

top topics

join