It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because of you all..........

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Before coming to ATS I never ever thought about what would happen to me in the event of somethign massive going down. But, because of you, I am in the process of putting together a survival kit. I have an orange back pack just laying around taking up space, so I figured what the hell, I will have it ready to take on a whimb if anything happened. Dont quite know what I will put in it yet, but I am reading and taking notes
Suggestions are welcome, its only like a small school bag, I know a multi tool is a must, and some med. supplies. And I was just reading about seeds, thats a good idea!! Never thought of that, takes up very little space and could save your life. So thanks ATS! You guys rule!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A very nice thing thats small and will fit your bag is a water filter and a water bottle.That with some dehydrated food is very packable and extremely handy.
Also something to make fire.
You will be warm and fed and hydrated.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I am also gonna add one of those "tin foil" blanket thingies, dunno what they are called tho lol. I know they are in first aid kits

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I am not a big fan of those things but they do reflect the heat back to your body.Handy if you had nothing for sure tho.
I prefer a tarp and a wool blanket.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Are there any say...generic antibiotics you could get? Something you wouldnt' have to get a Rx for , but would fight off an infection?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

its a good thing to wake up to. there are many many threads that cover everything from good first aid kits, to seeds, food, protection, shelter, clothes, every thing.

i have some extencive first aid training and i recomend you do the same. a wilderness first responder course and basic red cross first aid class are a great start and for what you learn are well worth the cost and they are fairly inexpencive. these classes are easy to locate just look online i bet you can find one very close to your home town,.

one of the biggest things people over look in survival is entertainment. if you cant keep your mind busy you WILL die. and you will learn that from any wilderness first responder instructer.

you have to think about what are absolut musts. for me:

food, shelter, first aid, protection,entertainment of some kind(i have waterproof playing cards). and i have a large ready bag but i also have a 10lb pack that contains all of the above.

GOOD LUCK and welcome to the club...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I am not really sure about that.
I found this thread tho www.abovetopsecret.com...
I hope it helps.
I don't know much about prescription meds.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

i am a gear freak and i want to have everything with me. i have a friend who when the time comes to bug out we go together. which is a good thing because together we can carry more gear. also having a good solid plan. if you have faimly and friends make sure you all have a meeting place and eveyone knows the plan. small groups are better than going solo. you need someone to watch your back..

search the survival forum and it will blow your mind everything you will learn.

here is a link to my first aid thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and this is my seed thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are many great threads by many great people. just do some reading you will find all you need to know, but remember when you come up with new ideas and you will be sure to share the knowlege..

edit to add: i think the best thing i did to gain survival experince is join the military and me and a friend of mine pratice all the time during all seasons and all weather situations. we go camping with everything in our packs and with just what is in our pockets. just to know we can do it. there is a great thread some where that has survival knife packs with many many ideas.

[edit on 15amu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Copy of the New Testament is a must.

Need one more line, so, uh, a flashlight might come in handy.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Hahahaha Bombeni, leave it to you to suggest a bible, didn't we have this argument before about "God"

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

I alreayd have some basic first aid training, and well....being raised in rural Newfoundland, I am a pretty "woodsy" guy. I think this island will be a safe haven for years after anything happens in large urban areas

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
You are correct that a multi-tool is a must. When you purchase one, make sure it is a good one. Spend the money and by a Leatherman. In my book, you can't beat them. You should also add a fixed blade belt knife. The blade should be at least six inches. And don't forget the stones to sharpen them.
For fire, I would reccomentd a fire-steel, as well as a magnesium stick. That way, when you run out of matches, you can still get a fire going. (Be sure to practice with them before you need them. In fact, make certain you KNOW how to use every thing in your pack. That usually involves doing more than reading a book. But it might save your life, or the lives of your loved ones.)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

well that is good but pratice never hurts. i have been a hunting guide and a farmer most of my life. but if you dont train yourself in survival tactics you will never know if you can use them.

feel free to u2u me anytime if you want to talk in more detail or care for me to clarify anything, i will help the best i can.

having first aid training is one of the single most important things to know. along with how to shoot a gun. from what i read you have that figured out

edit to add. you can never be too prepared or have enough training. you can train all you want but if you dont test your self and apply that training well you are waisting your time..

[edit on 15amu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

And def some rabbit snares (we call him slips here) and my beagle
Snares are super small and work great.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

great point to bring up. many people donot think about these things. there are also many ways to make snares out of sticks vines and rocks there must be hundreds of designes on the web. making your own cuts down on the gear you need to bring with you.

I have a lab, and he will be coming with me. dogs are hunters, protectors, and companions. they will help fend of the depression that comes along with long term survival in the wild. they will comfort you and ease fear and anxiety.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Also a small axe, we call them a tommy axe here. Now that I am starting to see the big picture, I may trade my little orange back pack in for something bigger and stronger. Good point with the tarp too, could have many applications.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Loads of stuff if you search for 'BOB bag' or 'bug out bag'.
Here's one for starters www.abovetopsecret.com...

Aswell as all the tools you need a load of knowledge too. Have fun by taking your finished BOB to a remote location with some friends and try surviving a few days. make sure someone knows where you are and you take a mobile phone though, it really isn't as easy as it seems living from your BOB.

Personally item no1 for me is a wind up charger and a Nintendo DS

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Hahahahahah..too bad I couldnt' take my PS3 with me. You do need the knowledge tho, I agree, its funny how many people try and start a fire with "green" wood.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Yeah....a new testament....those thin pages make good kindling for your fire.

Ya know...personally, I'm not the 'survivalist' type, ya know? Unless it's at a Ritz Carlton. I expect to be wiped out in the first wave, anyway...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A good survival manual is useful, too. No one can ever know it all... But most of all, that survival kit you have between your ears needs to be ready. A large part of survival is attitude and mind set.

Oh and a really good multitool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join