It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. official resurrects terror link to Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

U.S. official resurrects terror link to Canada

www.thestar.com

WASHINGTON – Canada is a primary source for terrorists entering the United States, President Barack Obama's homeland security chief suggested last night in an interview explaining the reasoning behind new and tighter border rules.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told CBC News that while Canada lacks the drug wars that vex the Mexican border, the Canadian frontier is on America's radar as a potential gateway for terrorist threats.

"Canada is not Mexico, it doesn't have a drug war going on. It didn't have 6,000 homicides that were drug-related last year," Napolitano explained to Neil MacDonald of CBC News.

"Nonetheless, to the extent that terrorists have come into our country, or suspected or known terrorists have come into our country, it has been across the Canadian border."

Asked whether she was referring to the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks, Napolitano replied:

"Not just those, but others as well. So again, every country is entitled to have a border. It's part of sovereignty."

Napolitano's comments are certain to cause a stir in Ottawa, which struggled throughout the Bush era to dispel the widely held myth that Sept. 11 attackers entered the U.S. via Canada.

In fact, none of them did.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Here we go, Homeland security at its finest again.

For those who are not aware, Canada's airport security and passport security is just about exactly the same as the USA. Canada also works hand in hand with the USA on things like the terrorist watch lists or no fly lists.

So whats the problem one would ask. The problem is this is the same department that has 5 year olds detained by security because his name matches one on the no fly list. The department of Homeland security is garbage, pure and simple.

So now the border is a threat again, and they state that without an example or any proof that it is. American border police determine who enters the USA at border crossings, not Canadian police. As for the rest of the largest undefended border in the world, well if the USA cannot contain that little gap at their southern border, then there is no hope in hell that the Canadian border will ever be secure.

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Making the US-Canada border completly secure is impossible. The border is simply too big, lots of villages or indian reservation that sit on it. Too many roads and forest. There is even a google maps marker showing every point of entry, and a lot of them are not monitored. Sure they have cameras and signs telling people they can't enter US territory and have to go too the nearest custom office ... but i'm not sure it works with terrorist.

And by the way, how many of those supposed terrrorist from Canada have been arrested and tried ? Border patrol are too busy trying to arrest those who try to smuggle pot across the border (they say that Canadian pot is the best ... not that I would know)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Just another attempt at giving border guards more abusive power then they already have. Terrorists don't come from Canada he has no proof.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
911,terrorist,Al Qaeda,Wepons Of Mass Destruction,911,terrorist,bin laden,Iran,north Korea,911,terrorist,borders are not safe,terrorist,911,Al Qaeda,911,terrorist,your safety,911

thats all they ******* talk about

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
911,terrorist,Al Qaeda,Wepons Of Mass Destruction,911,terrorist,bin laden,Iran,north Korea,911,terrorist,borders are not safe,terrorist,911,Al Qaeda,911,terrorist,your safety,911

thats all they ******* talk about

Pretty well.

I just like how they couldn't even give one example of a security breach because it is a national security secret. The breaches they are talking about probably happend before 911 and all the changes that occured because of it.

Yup, some bad guy crossed the border back in 1999 and now its time to do something about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sounds like another "look over here, something is happening" distraction tactic. If so, i wonder exactly what it is for which they need a diversion...

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

"As the 9/11 commission reported in 2004, all of the 9/11 terrorists arrived in the United States from outside North America. They flew to major U.S. airports. They entered the U.S. with documents issued by the United States government, and no 9/11 terrorists came from Canada."

A Canadian take on this from the CBC.

In my humble opinion, no matter how much money we spend or border guards if someone want to enter the US it is not that hard. I've done it when I was young (pre-911) just for the fun of it. Such a huge border makes it impossible to control.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That god damned Napolitano is up to something here. She's probably starting the first of what will likely end up being about 453 bashings of Canada in a row, that will ultimately be aimed at stirring up the American people so that they begin to view Canada as a terrorist nation, so they can bomb the shyte out of yet another country for no reason whatsoever.

I don't know who's worse, her or Dink Cheney or Nancy Pelosi!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandnic
Making the US-Canada border completly secure is impossible. The border is simply too big, lots of villages or indian reservation that sit on it. Too many roads and forest. There is even a google maps marker showing every point of entry, and a lot of them are not monitored. Sure they have cameras and signs telling people they can't enter US territory and have to go too the nearest custom office ... but i'm not sure it works with terrorist.

And by the way, how many of those supposed terrrorist from Canada have been arrested and tried ? Border patrol are too busy trying to arrest those who try to smuggle pot across the border (they say that Canadian pot is the best ... not that I would know)

You just gave me a great idea. Whataya say we let the USA think Canada is a country who is purposely allowing dangerous Al Queda ninja assassins into the USA by the thousands and thousand every night?

Then Napolitano will be forced to order the construction of a giant FEMA camp type fence along the entire 37,000 mile long border. And no doubt, she'll have the razor wire at the top of the fence pointing inward toward the USA, just to make sure those pesky Americans can't escape.

Because the way things are going in the US, sooner than I like to imagine, Canada's going to have a massive illegal immigration problem of our own... 50% of the population of the United States trying to escape "into" Canada, from the Mexicans and from their own tyrannical fascist situation.

I got news for my American friends... it's no better here (except for the little item about the Mexicans). There is no escape! The only option is to stay and fight, and remove that god damned NWO owned government and burn that freakin' FED to the ground. And when you've won that war (and the American people are assembling to do just that I think), we'll beg you to help us do the same thing here.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Here's a update on the situation

Canada more lax than U.S. about whom it lets in, Napolitano says

Napolitano digs deeper hole

But then, Napolitano appeared to make matters worse by explaining to the border conference Tuesday why the Canada and Mexico borders should be treated equally.

"The fact of the matter is that Canada allows people into its country that we do not allow into ours," she said.

"That's why you have to have a border, and you have to have border policies that make sense."

Liberal MP John McKay, who was at the conference, said Napolitano's comments alarmed him.

"If you are, in fact, negotiating a managed border, and your negotiating partner believes a set of mythology, then you have problems," he said "You try to work on the basis of fact, not on the basis of myth."

Saying Canada is lax about whom it allows into the country is "plain nonsense," he added.

"I have a heavily immigrant riding, and I do visas all day every day, and one of the most difficult things I have to explain to my constituents is why is it that the United States granted a multiple-entry visa to the relatives but Canada won't," said McKay, who represents the Toronto-area Scarborough-Guildwood riding.

In the past, other high-profile U.S. politicians have also suggested a link between terrorists and the Canadian border, including Napolitano's predecessor, Michael Chertoff, who said last year that more than a dozen suspected extremists had been caught trying to enter the U.S. via Canada.

When she was senator, Hillary Clinton said tighter security was needed at the Canada-U.S. border because of 9/11.

I don't even know what to say because I'm damn tired right now other than this Napolitano woman is a idiot.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I don't even know what to say because I'm damn tired right now other than this Napolitano woman is a idiot.

She don't know what to say either ... so ''blame Canada'' .... I can even hear the song in my head. The US always has to put the blame on someone else ... they are like a child ... always someone elses fault.

Blame Canada, blame Mexico, blame a lone guy in Afganistan ... why can't they admit they have a problem. Admitting you have a problem is the first step ... so they say ...

My name is the United States and I have a security problem ...
(no offence to any AA here
)

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Canada is not Mexico, it doesn't have a drug war going on. It didn't have 6,000 homicides that were drug-related last year

You give them this power by keeping drugs illegal. If there was a regulated market criminals would no longer hold a monopoly, and no longer have funding as the demand for THEIR product here in the US would dry up. If we actually secured our border this would no longer be a problem.

top topics

join