It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I heard a rumor in kentucky on tobacco..Read within

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hi all!

I smoke. The other day I overheard a convo with a lady and the employee in our local quick stop store. They were talking about the smoke tax and of all things ... global warning. Struck me as odd. Anyway the woman politely informed the employee that second hand smoke killed people .. no suprise there... then she informed the employee that it wasnt big business that was destroying the ozone... it was second hand smoke. Took everything in me to keep a straight face.

Just thought I would share.

Dax

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
In Calif we are now getting people smuggling cigarettes in from Mexico to sell.
They get them cheap in Mexico $1.60 a pack and they can sell them with in minutes for $3 to 4 dollars a pack in calif.

Many of the legals from Mexico that cross the border with a carton a day.
and make around $20 dollars a day just for shopping money.

As a citizen we can only bring in a carton a month. but customs has a hard time due to the large numbers tracking how much the daily border crosses from Mexico are bringing in.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I always thought this would happen and ill tell you why.

I used to work in pharmaceuticals doing pre clinical trial studies.

Part of my job was to perform virology tests on drugs and participate in studies with diseases such as cancer etc.

I came across an interesting piece of study that is not publicly available.

If you have smoked for more than 5 years you are at a higher risk of getting cancer than you are if you quit before that amount of years or continue smoking. Obviously everyone is at a risk but just mentioning this.

Take it or leave it as I cannot prove it with a link or a piece of paper etc. If I could link my brain up for you maybe I could but that is not possible

Time will reveal this anyways when everyone is forced to stop through higher taxing and the dead count from cancer explodes. Its a win, win and win for them. More immediate income, lowering the population count over time and raking in your expected life income faster. All done for your health, pfft.

You do know that your life income is insured by the government if you die?

[edit on 21-4-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
I have no problem with taxing the hell out of any dangerous drug. If people want to use these drugs (and nicotine is an addictive drug), then the taxes on the substance should be sufficient to pay for the damage done to society by their use. I'm not in favor of making cigarettes illegal, but only in making smokers pay their way now and in the future. Smokers are much more likely to require intensive, prolonged medical treatment for the problems caused by smoking. Think of this as a pre-paid medical plan.

I smoke. Not a lot, maybe a half pack a day. When I cut back from a pack a day, the price almost doubled so the cost increase didn't really affect me. Still, this is ridiculous.

I already pay more for insurance because I admitted that I smoke when I filled out my insurance forms. You know, not a burden (in health care terms) to anyone but myself. Considering I've had insurance for years now and never actually used it (I don't visit a doctor unless it's an emergency, last time that was not for a checkup was a shattered foot and broken ankle 9 years ago) I feel that should something go horribly wrong, I've paid enough into it to cover my costs.

Also related to your post, do you really think that should people that smoke now need medical care in the future for smoking related problems there will actually be any money for it? It's just like SS: we all pay into something that we will likely not even be able to collect even 20 years from now.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
People that don't smoke seem to think they will never develop any life-threatening illness, or live to be very, very old and need to be cared for in a very expensive nursing home. Honestly, none of us get out of this life alive anyway, so it's a shame we have to spend all our years finger pointing and being brainwashed and financially gouged by our government.

Don't worry about me; I'll be paying for my own health care costs when whatever gets me finally gets me. I won't have my hand in your pocket. Can you say the same?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
My WHOLE argument is centered around this fact.

argue it with me i don't care. lol

But i am a Human being...with the same right as non smoker's.
If i Choose to smoke in my house or my car ect....i HAVE that right.
It is LEGAL.
It is not like i am doing illegal drug's.

And to say a veteran of Vietnam or Iraq ect..is not allowed to smoke..due to so much tax's is crazy talk.
You do not want to pay there bill's..when they get sick..blah blah blah...They fought for you country...Let them smoke without 5 dollar tax on smoke's.
They earned it.

And the average man that smoke's..work's 40 to 60 hour's a week in a job that give's no health insurance.
Can not afford health insurance...because Rent Food Utilities and care for children come first.
Then at end of week they barely have money for Gas in there car.
Those PEOPLE are Entitled to be able to smoke..hell there life's suck anyways....Working for others...Stress and what not.

There is no reason to keep over taxing the Poor that work there butt's off.
Just so non smoker's on there High horse's get the thrill out of telling people how to run there life's.

I say tax non smoker's for living longer....20+ years longer..HEck FAR!!!!!
Imagine the last 20+ year's of there life...Leeching of uncle same..social security....medicine.....draining our economy....even more than people that smoke!!!

Add it up.
20+ year's of social security depends on the income...
But half draw SSI Social security implement....wich is basicly spouse's /House wife's and what not.

So half of the non smoker's out there will stay at home..and leech off our government 20+ year's....LEECH is the correct word they never worked a public job in there life....that's a LEECH...
Yes raising kid's is work...BUT it is not TAXABLE....

So Non smoker's in a way piss me off simply because they are selfish.

More inconsiderate of others .
But either way TAX after TAX is just pissing me off badly.

Next time some Non smoker's say's to me in public ..You know smoking is bad for you ect...Like YOUR type always does.

I will say you know running your mouth to people is Bad for your health!!!!!!!
And flat kick there butt who ever the next person is .

DANG i hate this Tax i hope you can tell lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join