It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I was reading the ingredients list on a bag of crisps and there was one realy standing out "Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides".
The name sounds quite new to me so i looked around a little to see if i can find what it does and what the name means.
The term does not come up in a search on ATS so i post this name here in the hope some one has any more infomation on this food additive "Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides".

What i got so far is that it is used in combination with Monosodium glutamate .
Searches for just "ribonucleotides" gives quickly a lot of very scientific articles and the most interesting ones are a bit hard to grasp for me.

Maybe some one has been looking into this food additive before and can tell me/us more about it.
Thanks.

Here is some information that i found so far.

Disodium 5'-ribonucleotides, E number E635, are flavor enhancers which are synergistic with glutamates in creating the taste of umami. It is a mixture of disodium inosinate (IMP) and disodium guanylate (GMP) and is often used where a food already contains natural glutamates (as in meat extract) or added monosodium glutamate.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is well known that childrens behaviour is directly affected by artificial colourings, sweetners and flavourings. Fizzy drinks, sweets and crisps are the main culprits and there are now organic and chemical free alternatives in supermarkets and health food shops. Here are the main additives to avoid:

Flavour Enhancers: Monosodium glutomate (E621); disodium 5-ribonucleotide (E635); Artificial Sweetners: Sodium benzoate (E211); Sulphur dioxide (E220); aspartame; acesulfame K. Colourings: Yellow (E104), Brilliant blue (E113), sunset yellow (E110), carmoisine (E122), ponceau 4R (E124), allura red AC (E129) and indigo(!) carmine (E132).

www.zeusinfoservice.com...

Responses to Di-Sodium Guanosine 5'-Monophosphate and Monosodium L-Glutamate in Taste Receptor Cells of Rat Fungiform Papillae. J. Neurophysiol. 89: 1434-1439, 2003. The 5'-ribonucleotide guanosine 5'-monophosphate (GMP) is used widely as an umami taste stimulus and a potent flavor enhancer as it synergistically increases the umami taste elicited by monosodium glutamate. Transduction mechanisms for GMP and its synergy with glutamate are largely unknown. Using whole-cell patch-clamp and Ca2+ imaging, we examined responses to GMP, glutamate, and a mixture of GMP and glutamate in taste-receptor cells of rat fungiform papillae.

jn.physiology.org...

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I guess not many people heard of this substance "Disodium 5'-ribonucleotide" before.
To me the name sounds very exotic and it just makes me wonder what it is realy.
It would be nice if some one has some more information on this thing.

[edit on 19-4-2009 by jaamaan]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Realy no body that can tell me more about this strange ingredient that you can find in a bag of dorito's?

Does no body knows or is it just harmless?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Link to page about the "Ribo-rash"

I don't know why they allow this chemical to be added to our food.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Thanks for posting all this information.
It will take me a while to read most of it.

So it is used to make the effect of msg stronger and to avoid MSG labeling while still having the same effects.

The side effects look quite simular as msg.

Keep your eyes out for this one people this is strange exotic stuff they put in the food supply.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I thought I would bring this thread back, simply because Sodium Benzoate is really bad. it wrecks your DNA.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I can't add much into the scientific explanations already given, but i can add that in my reading I have found they are branching off because consumers are starting to avoid msg in the foods they eat.

It's a misdirection, like finding a similar chemical and using it instead so that people won't realize what it is.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I agree. big companies are solely interested in profits not the health of it's consumers. look at Big tobacco

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
'ribonucleotides' sounds like some DNA altering #

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Perhaps this will help;

As it is a fairly expensive additive, it usually is not used independently of glutamic acid; if disodium inosinate is present in a list of ingredients but MSG does not appear to be, it is possible that glutamic acid is provided as part of another ingredient or is naturally occurring in another ingredient like tomatoes, Parmesan cheese or yeast extract. It is often added to foods in conjunction with disodium guanylate; the combination is known as disodium 5'-ribonucleotides.
from wiki

I hope that helps in some way.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaamaan
Realy no body that can tell me more about this strange ingredient that you can find in a bag of dorito's?

Does no body knows or is it just harmless?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PinealBoy

Bro they know they just are so far away from self its in there head you cannot wake up anyone who is pretending to sleep

top topics

join