It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we letting the tea parties divide us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
1. I've noticed a lot of left leaning news sources calling these tea parties an extreme right wing agenda.

Let me say that I am absolutely ASTONISHED that this is going on! I really am not understanding where this is coming from.

What I honestly believe is it has nothing to do with "left-leaning" news sources. They are run by corporation who are in bed with gov't and they want to make it SEEM like these tea parties have to do with an EXTREMIST view. In turn, turning many people off to the whole thing.

2. I also don't understand why the people who are right leaning are scoffing at the liberals for not being a part of the tea parties. I almost didn't attend my cities tea party because I felt like, being a liberal, I wasn't invited. They made a point to include ONLY republican speakers at the event which I found to be very disappointing.

My overall view on this entire matter???

I think that the gov't/media/corporations are trying to further divide us all. We all value our civil liberties given to us by the constitution and we all are livid with the bailouts and how our money is being spent. But the "they" don't want us to unite. They don't want us to FINALLY have some COMMON ground to stand on.

So I think that we are all playing right into their game and while in our hearts we all know these tea parties had nothing at all to do with being republican or liberal or whatever we let "them" think it did. We let them divide us into two again.

"They" know that the second we ALL realize that we are all in agreement on something we will all unite together and take those bastards down.

Lately, I've found myself agreeing with republicans when it comes to the very issues that are front and center in our daily discussions--with friends, at the dinner table, around the water cooler. We are all absolutely fed up with these bailouts. With paying for horribly poor and greedy business practices. Most of all we are ALL fed up with our rights systematically being taken away.

Can't we all at least agree on those two things? If so, can't we all quit flippin yelling at eachother for being a commie-liberal or a neocon republican and just get to the issues we DO agree on?

As soon as we do...let me tell you...those bastards on the hill, in the whitehouse and in their offices will be shaking in their way-to-expensive-probably-paid-for-by-the-taxpayers shoes.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It seems to me that the tea party topic is dividing ATS members, but the actual tea parties served to unite people.

All the news coverage that I've seen, except for that of the likes of NBC, CBS, CNN and some others, has indicated that the rallies, which were huge, were clearly non-partisan.

I heard that from the local news here in ABQ and from the several people whom I know who attended the rally here.

Everyone I spoke with said that the rally was peaceful and festive in its tone.

The news here showed people of all races and of all ages and both the news and my own acquaintances estimated the size of the crowd to be in the thousands. Several of my friends said that the number had to be close to 5000, not including the people who drove by honking their horns in support.

Consider then that there were some 600 of these rallies in communities across the nation.

There is a genuine movement afoot. It is a movement that crosses party lines and that scares the hell out of the hard left.

Where it will go is hard to say. The collective attention-span can sometimes be short, but I'll say one thing.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle had better get out of the denial mode and quickly or they'll likely be looking for other work come election time.

[edit on 2009/4/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
IMHO I believe that the tea parties are actually uniting people of all backgrounds and political leanings. The concern that our government has run a muck is a nonpartisan concern. The current and planned spending is way out of bounds.

The presidential power grab is of a scale that has not been seen in decades. The grab is getting worse with each "Czar" that Obama anoints. All of the "Czars" work under the protection of "Executive privilege". This is merely an extension of his arms and authority.

Our elected officials on Capital Hill are absolutely worthless and are working solely for their own personal gains and for the gains of an underlying agenda to break this country down to nothing.

The tea parties are waking up an America that has been asleep at the wheel for the past 10 years.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Because I think they are an embarrassment. Honestly.

And I don't think this needs a more in-depth answer but, it's not really run by the people, it's run by Fox. And it seems to have a lot of insulting things to say about ALL leftists.

So, bah humbug.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Because I think they are an embarrassment. Honestly

Do you think people holding up "end the fed" and "audit the fed" signs are an embarrassment and people who are just fed up with our government in general?

The tea parties were started without Fox..they picked it up...and yes they have been promoting it...while other networks have been canning it and calling all of the protesters nuts. Yes they are promoting it a certain way which is wrong..but the majority of protesters are out there doing what they think is right and not drawing political lines.

Leftists have insulting things to say about righties all the time. In fact it's all over all of the networks as they push it on the rest of us.

These were real people out there...your fellow citizens..many of whom are likely paying for your education if you are going to school.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Lately, I've found myself agreeing with republicans when it comes to the very issues that are front and center in our daily discussions--with friends, at the dinner table, around the water cooler. We are all absolutely fed up with these bailouts. With paying for horribly poor and greedy business practices. Most of all we are ALL fed up with our rights systematically being taken away.

This is where I think we are divided as well. For example, some people think the government is invading our privacy. But there are others who believe that giving up certain rights is OK for the safety of society. You could view the gun issue and the bailout issue in the same manner.

However, more than that, IMO we are more divided by party lines. Sad part is that many people don't even know what a Republican or Democrat even represent. It is more about what they can do for you that gets the vote.

Tea parties IMO are a good way to protest and should include all people. However, in the end I don't see them helping much. The divisiveness among the group will ultimately come out. I also notice a thread about a tea party in Houston where a couple thousand attended. For a city as big as Houston and how messed up our economy is, I really anticipated the turn out to be way much higher.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by jam321]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Star and flag for you, yes this partisan bs has got to stop, otherwise, they have us right where they want us. I think it's sad that while bush was subverting the constitution, the right wing didn't have much to say, but now a democrat is doing it, and the bandwagon is overflowing - i would have been helpful if they had woken up sooner. If your boy is in office, you tend to get complacent. I am guilty of this to a point, but now that we all should be aware that the two sides are really just one side against the will of the people, then welcome aboard whomever cares to join. Honestly, all the name-calling at this point is such a bore, we should be much more savvy at ATS for crying out loud.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
1. I've noticed a lot of left leaning news sources calling these tea parties an extreme right wing agenda.

Let me say that I am absolutely ASTONISHED that this is going on! I really am not understanding where this is coming from.

What I honestly believe is it has nothing to do with "left-leaning" news sources. They are run by corporation who are in bed with gov't and they want to make it SEEM like these tea parties have to do with an EXTREMIST view. In turn, turning many people off to the whole thing.

2. I also don't understand why the people who are right leaning are scoffing at the liberals for not being a part of the tea parties. I almost didn't attend my cities tea party because I felt like, being a liberal, I wasn't invited. They made a point to include ONLY republican speakers at the event which I found to be very disappointing.

My overall view on this entire matter???

I think that the gov't/media/corporations are trying to further divide us all. We all value our civil liberties given to us by the constitution and we all are livid with the bailouts and how our money is being spent. But the "they" don't want us to unite. They don't want us to FINALLY have some COMMON ground to stand on.

So I think that we are all playing right into their game and while in our hearts we all know these tea parties had nothing at all to do with being republican or liberal or whatever we let "them" think it did. We let them divide us into two again.

"They" know that the second we ALL realize that we are all in agreement on something we will all unite together and take those bastards down.

Can't we all at least agree on those two things? If so, can't we all quit flippin yelling at eachother for being a commie-liberal or a neocon republican and just get to the issues we DO agree on?

As soon as we do...let me tell you...those bastards on the hill, in the whitehouse and in their offices will be shaking in their way-to-expensive-probably-paid-for-by-the-taxpayers shoes.

WOW

You are the poster child for whats wrong with this situation. Look how often you just based what you thought, off of media portrayal. Your entire post is based upon it.

Your the exact type of person I am trying to reach in my thread about the mainstream media, I have taken the time to break down the situation, the tactics they use, WHY they use them and how they are getting us all to play along with their sick game.

It's a divide and conquer tactic, and the MSM has honed this tactic to a refined skill. All MSM attended tea parties, SIMPLY to distort facts, discredit attendees, and overall, make a spectacle of the entire event.

All so that people like you and I, turn off our TV at night and think "Wow those tea party attendees are ignorant, arrogant, mis-informed morons" And although that mind frame may not be as prevalent on this forum, in Mainstream America, TRUST ME that's what they understand of the tea party movement as of right now.

Anyone seriously interested in saving this country from the road to tyranny needs to educate themselves about the exact role of the media, and quit playing into their scam.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by king9072]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I noticed your location says "USA, sadly." That is unfortunate that you do not like the country you live in. There are steps one can take to alleviate that.

Getting that out of the way, I love my country. I want to see it prosper without corruption and greed filling nearly every hole in Washington. I did not vote for McCain because I believe he is just as much in the pocket of special interest as Obama. I did not vote for Bush.

I do not blindly follow what any MSM outlet spews. I don't see a big difference between the right or the left. Same bird, different feathers. I hate seeing our tax dollars given away to bankers that made poor financial decisions or to illegal immigrants that can't be bothered to learn English. I'm tired of seeing USA being the welfare state of a failed country south of the boarder.

I am tired of my God given rights being stripped away from me under the false guise of 'National Security.' Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Guns in the hands of law abiding citizens doesn't scare me one iota. The power our government has granted itself scares me more than anything.

But where were the rallies while Bush was taking our rights away? Well everyone was at work and our economy was still profitable. We've lost our jobs and our retirement and our well being. I am scared for my children's future. The economic turn down was only the catalyst for a movement that has been brewing for much longer than MSM has been reporting it.

That is why I went to a tea party rally. Fox news had nothing to do with it.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
OP you hit the nail on the head. To divide Americans even more could very well lead to loss of our independence and eventual destruction of our country.

We are Americans. We pay taxes. We have a common cause to fight for.

Left wing, right wing, liberal, conformist, terrorist, and many more labels are being put on tax paying loyal and patriotic American citizens.

No matter what label is put on us we all suffer from unjust taxation and the way our tax revenue is being parceled out to big corporations.

Can we not stand together as Americans for the good of all concerned?

In my humble opinion, we are a sorry lot if we cannot stand together to fight for a common cause.

Maybe we need to come together under a new label, Concerned American Citizens.

United we stand and divided we fall and the powers that be know this very well and are using it ti their advantage.

If we are not willing to unify for our rights as American citizens we may as well stand in line now to get the chip while the lines are short.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The tea parties are not dividing the average American .. they are uniting them. I see people on the left and the right coming together and talking Third Party for 2010 and 2012. That's coming together.

I see MSNBC and CNN having heart attacks over the thought of Americans coming together. If that happens, then they won't have an audience to shmooze with their bias and propaganda.

They must be nervous .. ratings will go down.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The tea parties are not dividing the average American .. they are uniting them. I see people on the left and the right coming together and talking Third Party for 2010 and 2012. That's coming together.

A third party would be good, I'm all for more choice.

But, a third party or even a 4th and 5th is not the answer.

Those who say they're against big government are now bitching at the government for the economy. First off the government doesn't control the economy, and if you want them to isn't that making government bigger? Putting them in control of the economy instead of private enterprise?

Personally I'm against both, the only real way to freedom from private enterprise, and government, is to relieve them of their power and govern our own communities. But then I can't see Americans buying that, for some reason you've all lost any sense of community you might have once had. Now it's simply everyone for themselves.

It's not government we should go after for this mess, and it's not government that's going to fix it. The problem is the system that we live under, but people don't seem to want to hear that.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by CityIndian]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The tea parties are dividing us? I wasn't aware of that. Are you sure about that claim? I mean just because a portion of the populace feels adamant about something and protests doesn't mean we're about to split at the seams. Right?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
"Nunya13", it might alleviate your concerns somewhat to take note of the fact that at the Tea Party nearest my residence, there were at least a handful of individuals with "Vote For Obama" stickers on their vehicles, but they wrote next to the sticker, and on their signs: "Oops".

In others words, even in the highly liberal environment in which I live in terms of Locality, there exists not only Liberals who attended and support the idea behind these Tea Parties, but those who actually assisted in electing our current President, yet they now run contrary to his policies.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Tea parties IMO are a good way to protest and should include all people. However, in the end I don't see them helping much. The divisiveness among the group will ultimately come out. I also notice a thread about a tea party in Houston where a couple thousand attended. For a city as big as Houston and how messed up our economy is, I really anticipated the turn out to be way much higher.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by jam321]

The numbers are being completely yet typically skewed, as is common amongst the oft cited media sources. I just had a discussion with an individual today over a completely unrelated matter, and he suddenly brought up the topic of these Tea Parties. He attended the Tea Party in Annapolis, Maryland, and he stated that it was definitely an amazing event. However, he said that the Newspapers reported a turnout of 300 Revelers, yet in reality it was 3,000. The News Sources simply found it fitting and oh so convenient to leave out a numerical value (i.e., an Additional Zero). Therefore, do not take the low-ball estimates at heart.

This reminds me of a Political rally during the past Election cycle. I will not name the speaker nor party which they represented, but it was a National Candidate at a forum nearby where I reside. The crowd in all actuality numbered between 5,000-7,000 attendees. However, one local news source brought the number down to 2,500, and then bloggers and hype artists began putting forth "Expert" opinions that the crowd more likely than not numbered around 500 or so individuals in actual attendance.

The same was true for another such rally which had around 25,000 in attendance, yet before that number was settled into the minds of attendees and viewers alike, the media magically brought that figure down to around 11,000-12,000 supporters being present.

As for the Tea Party closest to my residence, there were at least 500 in attendance, despite pouring rain and cold temperatures. This is also despite the fact that the location is semi-hidden from individuals who are not very familiar with the area, yet attendees came from as far away as 20 + Miles South of here. Atlanta, Georgia I believe had 20,000 + in attendance, and I dare say that the Houston numbers were much higher than is currently being reported. Also, do not forget that quite a few of these Tea Parties were during Work Hours, and on Weekdays. Imagine the turnout, for say, a Fourth of July event?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
division is good. Im not like you, your not like me. The goal is not to make everyone the same brain, but rather take a collective of difference and watch it live free, as in real freewill under no law other than a society which enhances its next generations with proper knowing. As forest cultures example, they do this better than good ol modern civilisations. Parents encourage responsibility to a managable group of family mostly who breed and walk the earth.

Modern humankind is severely out of touch, sadly they all think they know whats best for themselves. Drug wars, wars on terror, calling political objectivists terrorists, its whatever suits your greed need. That is what is ruining america, if americans and religious people together back in 1913 would have been less head in *** then I think we may have been able to stave off a subversive tyranny like the institution of the Fiat money we now use today, with interest btw.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's really funny for those of us who can see the games the MSM play with the public. During the Bush years Fox News made war protesters out to be a bunch of anti-American liberal loons. Now that Bush is out of office, Fox says it's okay to protest.

It's vice-versa for CNN; once decrying how our freedoms were being eroded, now suddenly it's okay because Obama's doing it instead of Bush. It's the same old play with only minor changes to the script and role reversals for the actors.

Under no circumstances will the MSM allow Americans to just be Americans without adding an erroneous tag specifying each player as either a liberal or conservative. The MSM are like the union busters of the 1970's and 80's who strategically instigated conflicts and caused in-fighting amongst the workers so that they hated each other so much they couldn't come together to form a union.

I wouldn't be surprised if the major networks started flashing black or white hat icons above peoples heads on screen so that the viewing audience could be sure to know who the “bad guys” and “good guys” are.

Cheers, Bob

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Therefore, do not take the low-ball estimates at heart.

after reading your post I went back to the thread. The couple of thousands I referred to where in a small auditorium. I stand corrected because in all there were about 9,000 or more.

I agree with you about how the media tries to lower the actual number.

Thanks for pointing this out.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Extreme? Well there were far right groups such as storm front making all attempts to gain membership from the anger but mostly it was your typical bush movement.. nothing more.

I think that the gov't/media/corporations are trying to further divide us all.

Yes curse those corporations for backing fox in their coverage of the tea parties... really it was just something looking down at all those speakers there holding the hands of fringers while they acted as if they gave a damn about the constitution. Good ol' Rep. David Davis, a known bushie and his one night stands with the energy corporations, especially during the oil crises in 06', good ol newt and his involvement in promotin of the Iraq war... his ties to major insurance corporations, and the union of other former bushies and their long held histories of the patriot act, torture and imperialistic wars. Dont talk to me about "corporations" or "bias media" because these mini tea parties were full of it.

We all value our civil liberties given to us by the constitution

You never gave a damn about it during the Bush administration. You didnt seem to give a damn when foreign citizens were held and tortured without fair representation for years on end. Dont talk to me about civil liberties.

But the "they" don't want us to unite. They don't want us to FINALLY have some COMMON ground to stand on.

When there was a call for common ground on how wrong the Iraq war was, howmuch of a lie it was, you were all no where to be seen, instead you threw us out in the back and called us anti-american. We called out to you to unite in common ground regarding the patriot act when both sides of our leaders voted for it, you were no where to been seen. We called you out to stand by us against torture, for the constitution, you told us to sit back, shut up and let the "big boys" hunt the terrorists. We nolonger have COMMON ground. Yours is just another bush movement in attempt to lead to another 8years of Bush politics. We now have no need to unite with you.

So I think that we are all playing right into their game

You all played into their game in the last administration, your playing into foxes game right now. The corporations had it easy under Bush I tell ya, aint no secret. It aint no secret of their movement to re-establish another bush administration either. I aint ganna deny some companies and their benefits from this administration, but its apparent the Bush administration was a utopia for corporations, even during harsh times. It would make sense for them to create an artificial "grassroots" movement.

We have nothing more to agree with. 8years of this rightwing fringe policy within the last administration and thats what broke off any hope of common ground in the near future.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The tea parties are not dividing the average American

300,000 fringe groups and former bush supporters dont account for the total population of "average americans". Infact what is the "average" american to you? Your typical Kentucky small town working class man? This nation is diverse, the average american comprises of middle class working class folk of different ethnic groups, religions and political standing. These tea parties showed me and the rest of the nation this had nothing to do with the wide consensus of the average american.

I see people on the left and the right coming together and talking Third Party for 2010 and 2012.

All I saw were republicans a disgruntled former republicans coming together and talking of some third party in the future. Funny thing is that if any party is created and it become major and then in that administration it falls flat, will those same individuals begin to distance themselves again and form another party? And another? The republican party managed the nation exactly how you fellas intended it to in the last administration, and what came of it was a nation with the largest debt accumulation in the history, the most divided, and the worse of in foreign relations.

Good luck on that third party yall seem to be on bout'. Iv heard it before I can tell ya that.

I see MSNBC and CNN having heart attacks over the thought of Americans coming together.

They were having a field day with it, infact if anything these tea parties brought more credibility to those news broadcasters. By the way John certainly enjoyed the tea parties:
www.thedailyshow.com...

And fox being there if anything helped to bring down the credibility of those protests even more. But you obviously buy the garbage they spew so yes whatever is your perception right?

with their bias and propaganda.

Certainly was great seeing Hannity and Glenny boy taking such an active role in those protests. Really was something.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Southern Guardian]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join