It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we letting the tea parties divide us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
300,000 fringe groups and former bush supporters dont account for the total population of "average americans".

You can spew that all you want, but it simply isn't true.

All I saw were ....

You just see what you want to see. Get some glasses.

these tea parties brought more credibility to those news broadcasters.

And fox being there if anything helped to bring down the credibility of those protests

Fox is #1 in cable news for a reason - they know the audience. They jumped on covering these because they have a thought that both the republicans and democrats are in trouble, so they are getting in on the ground floor of what the people are coming together on. It's brilliant marketing. If bigger things come from the Tea Parties .. and I think they could ... then FOX will be the station that supported them while CNN and MSNBC were the ones that ridiculed. It won't be easily forgiven or forgotten.

Someone in marketing did their homework.
It was a brilliant business move.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Because we're greedy and dont give a hoot bout anything
but MORE, MORE, MORE! No more taxes, no more hope.
It all about selfishness and what I perceive is MY RIGHT TO MORE. LOL
We have no rights(since the rich bankster types took over the country!)

We know nothing else. No, No ,NO! (and we hope it fails?)

Screw the less fortunate, we have no compassion for them either, right?
They need to find a job, ya thats it!
Only care bout what helps MY big fat bottom line!
So easy a cave man can do it!
We hope it fails anyway, right? So wtf? Nice.

You really want stuff to change? Just quit paying for it all!

Live the life, dont walk the walk. You'll just wear out your overpriced shoes anyway!(with lights in them)www.youtube.com...
Cmon somebody votes for these people, fess up!
P.S. we're already divided, big money and big war lovers verses
people who would rather have a little peace and happiness!
Wow, what a concept. THATS out there!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Because I think they are an embarrassment. Honestly.

And I don't think this needs a more in-depth answer but, it's not really run by the people, it's run by Fox. And it seems to have a lot of insulting things to say about ALL leftists.

So, bah humbug.

People are actually standing up and doing something and it is an embarrassment?

Go figure,

I guess people on this forum only chime in with pride when all the harping was about Bush.

[edit on 093030p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

They made a point to include ONLY republican speakers at the event which I found to be very disappointing.

now WHY do you think that occured? it wouldnt be because most liberals support the tax and spend policies of obama would it be now?

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Here's what's going on:

There's growing concern, particularly among the GOP, that the economy is going to completely fall apart and a legitimate third-party is going to emerge in 2012. The most likely party is the Libertarian party. If there was a strong movement to actually vote Libertarian then it could take a major dent out of both parties, because the libertarian's have ideals that appeal to both parties

Republican: Low taxes, small government, pro constitution, limit government intervention, less spending.
Democrat: Legalize drugs, pro-abortion rights, pro human rights, pro constitution, end corporate welfare.

So, being mouthpieces for the status quo, CNN is going to spin this as a bunch of right-wing whack jobs who don't like brown people; while Fox News jumps all over this and tries to claim it as their own little Republican movement -- when it is, in fact, not a Republican movement.

If it were the Green Party that were looking like increasingly viable contenders, then it would have reversed and Fox News would have called them a bunch of left-wing whack jobs who want to spend $1 Quadrillion on windmills, and CNN would have tried to claim it as a Democrat ascension.

But the Democrats have less reason to worry, because they haven't lost four out of the last five popular votes in the Presidential election. The GOP is on life-support, so they need to NOT have the Libertarians rise to a central role in American politics. Also a true third party would threaten political stability, which is why a growing number Libertarian thinkers and voters (i.e. "Right Wing Extremists") is so scary.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
of course it was a right wing agenda. several of the tea party protests were hosted by fox news hosts like sean hannity

Colbert covered it quite well: Colbert Report 4/16

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't think any republican politicians should be speaking at these tea parties, because the real problem has nothing to do with one party or the other. The problem is a fundemental flaw in the way this country is run. The common people don't CARE which party is hurting them. They both do. The point of this protesting should be expressing our disgust with our government and demanding change that is in OUR better interest. They work for us, but we are completely powerless to affect any real change that HELPS us? I don't understand how in a supposed DEMOCRACY things can happen that the majority of the people are opposed to?

If it gets to the point where people realize peaceful protests are leading them nowhere, will they decide to act violently? Push a man enough, and he'll eventually fight back. At that point they won't be able to divide us with petty left and right disputes, the issue will be the rich and poor. But by then, we won't have the guns anymore to put up a fight.

I was goin to participate in a tea party, but backed out once I realized the whole movement had been hijacked by the elite

[edit on 18-4-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I spoke with my mother this morning on the phone and asked her what she thought of the tea parties. She had never even heard of the topic, which I found bizzare. This is a woman who is much more politically aware than the average citizen. She reads the newspaper every day, and well-known magazines like the New Yorker, the Atlantic, etc. HOWEVER, she is not much of an internet surfer. Which makes me wonder, because I get almost ALL my news from the Internet, and on the intertnet there is a huge buzz about the tea parties. So I am curious...is the whole phenomenon downplayed in the "straight" print media and overplayed on the Internet? Is that what's going on here?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

First, let me say that for some reason my Java wasn't working for quite some time and I (frustratingly) wasn't able to post a reply. Now it's suddenly working.

Maybe this topic has died, but I really feel I need to defend my post because a lot of people took it the wrong way. Others seemed to get it though.

Southern Guardian, you're supposed disdain for my being a Bush supporter couldn't be any more off the mark. I despised Bush and still do. So I am very dismayed that because I wasn't bashing the tea parties and actually expressing disappointment that the left leaning media was labeling supporters of this tea party as "extremists" that somehow means I am a republican.

But, in a way, you've helped me to prove my point so, Thank you.

I'm so sick of this right vs. left bull. Why is it that if the right supports something the left has to hate it and vice versa? It's so childish. That was what I was saying. I was very disappointed that a lot of the sites that I go to that, yes, are left leaning were making fun of tea party protesters.

Let me REITERATE! I've always considered myself a liberal and I am NOT HAPPY that the left put down these people (most of whom happened to be on the right) who were so sick of what the gov't is doing to us they organized rally's to tell the gov't all about it.

On the flip side, I am also not happy that now that Obama is in office, all of a sudden the people on the right say the country is going to hell in a hand basket when Bush was doing all the same things Obama is.

And before people get on me for being an Obama supporter too, I am not! I don't like Bush and I don't like Obama. I don't like Fox and I don't like CNN so there goes all your childish cannon fodder.

THE POINT TO MY POST WAS THIS...

We need to quit fighting each other! There are most obviously things we agree on like our constitutional freedoms and the disgust for this bailout. But a lot of you seemed to just fall right back into the "I hate you just because your on the left/right" mantras.

Quit taking every opportunity to turn a post into a right vs. left battle.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by nunya13

We all value our civil liberties given to us by the constitution

You never gave a damn about it during the Bush administration. You didnt seem to give a damn when foreign citizens were held and tortured without fair representation for years on end. Dont talk to me about civil liberties.

I've already told you I am not a Bush supporter nor am I a republican/neocon/conservative/christian/evangelist/whatever.

But I had to pull this quote out because you harsh reaction as a result of your misguided PERCEPTION is absolutely amazing to me. I am TRULY amazed that anyone took my OP to be anywhere near in defense of Bush because I would rather cut my own finger off than ever support him; maybe even my hand.

I want people to read your reply to my OP. I want people to see how "their" agenda to divide us is working.

How because I didn't say "I'm a lefty therefore I hated the tea parties" and instead defended them MUST have meant I'm a righty. See my point????

I hate war. But I will fight to the death if TSeverHTF to defend my right to liberties that should be bestowed upon every single human being on this earth.

Torture disgusts me. When I think about what my gov't is doing to these prisoners I actually cry sometimes. I really do.

Please actually take the time next time you read a post because you really need to get to the bottom of what is being said instead of just reacting to it in such a way.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The media and our politicians are trying so desperately to divide and politicize these issues, so that they can keep the ball in their court. Our entire Judicial and political systems need to be realigned. We need to get back to the grass roots of what this country is all about and stop letting TPTB urinate all over our freedoms and constitution.

In my life, I have never seen in over 45 years such a corrupt set of politicians like our current congress and senate. What they are doing to this country is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!

They allow banks and corporations to dictate which way the political winds should blow, at the expense of the average American. They harm us by not following the laws set forth, to protect our borders and immigration policies.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by drummerroy39]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The Tea Parties are the People standing up for their Rights, and is a shout to the Fed and the powers of an oppressive government to cease and desist from trying to ruin our country, and control every aspect of out lives. The parties are diving all right, they are dividing the People from their so called masters. In my view, if the government keeps up with this, the people will do something more than just a tea party protest!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join