It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Narnia Code

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this so please move if necessary. I don't think anything regarding the supposed Narnia Code has been posted before..

Documentary examining claims that CS Lewis's Narnia Chronicles contain a hidden meaning. CS Lewis wrote the Narnia Chronicles over 50 years ago, yet they are more popular today than ever. When they were first published, many critics thought them little more than childish scribblings, replete with random characters and unexplained events. Even Lewis's good friend JRR Tolkien thought them confused and misconceived. Other scholars were sure there was something more, something hidden beneath the stories. Although many tried, none could find this secret key of Narnia - until now. Dr Michael Ward, a young academic and expert in all things Lewisian, claims he has found the answer at last: he has discovered the Narnia Code. Using dramatisations of Lewis's early life and career, the programme travels the world, from the Mid-West of modern America to the battlefields of the First World War, meeting experts, testing evidence and uncovering surprising questions and ideas that still challenge readers today.

The 7 books are related to the 7 medieval planets. The Sun, The Moon, Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Saturn, Neptune. The discovery made by Michael ward led him to publish a book called Planet Narnia..anyone read this book?

www.amazon.co.uk...=1-1/qid=1239923910/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books&qid=1239923910&sr=1-1

Anyway, its a good watch.......

BBCI Player Link - www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davidifty

it's brit only video. i'm in the US
i've read the chronicles of narnia, the screwtape letters and a few of c.s. lewis' other books. thoroughly enjoyed them.

he was supposedly an atheist, into ancient celtic lore before he became a christian. after debating the subect with j.r.r. tolkien and some other acquaintances from oxford, he became a christian. he probably incorporated his interest in the old lore into his books. too bad i can't watch the vid.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have no doubt that this is in C.S. Lewis' work. Even something as ubiquitous as Alice in Wonderland is rife with esoteric imagery, but very few have written about it.

C.S. Lewis apparently embraced Christianity because he saw it as the "fulfillment of Paganism":

Far from being the dour hermit of Evangelical propaganda, CS Lewis was a much more complex and fascinating character. His eccentric personal life has come under scrutiny in recent years (his only marriage came in his late middle age and was an immigration scam, he also never fathered any children) and his religious eccentricity has never really been a secret. He once wrote to a friend, "I had some ado to prevent Joy and myself from relapsing into Paganism in Attica! At Daphni it was hard not to pray to Apollo the Healer. But somehow one didn't feel it would have been very wrong - would have only been addressing Christ sub specie Apollinis." Lewis biographies are rife with this kind of enthusiasm.

Indeed, Lewis came to Christianity from a lifelong obsession with Nordic and classical paganism, which he never disavowed. Indeed he imagined Christianity as the fulfillment of paganism, particularly that of the Solar tradition. As a serious scholar, Lewis understood how similar the Solar monotheism of the late Roman Empire was to Christianity, and it's the earlier tradition that informs his most famous work of fiction...

The Solar Seminar: Solar Symbology in the Chronicles of Narnia

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
your video link will only work for brits,

i've never seen a site so racist towards people of other origins, haha jk!

anyway if you find the video anywhere else i would like to see it, so please post.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Its a shame you cant view it outside the UK....

It will pop up on youtube soon or google video so I will keep a look out

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
cant view the vid as i am in south africa, but none the less very interesting.
this resembles the myth of a 12th planet called nirburu.
very strange.
i will have a deeper look into this.
thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I agree with him...Being a astrologer for over 30 years and although astrology is 100% true..I came to the same conclusion.. Christ sinned not and was sent to complete the astrological LAW

See my posting about it here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
UPDATE - I managed to find this link that gives non-UK members a sneek preview of the documentary.

video.google.com...#

Enjoy.

[edit on 17/4/2009 by davidifty]

[edit on 17/4/2009 by davidifty]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
guess he better get busy and see if the same thing is happening in the lord of the rings. even the name suggests a planet. hint hint.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This thread really caught my eye because the Chronicles of Narnia were my favourite books when I was growing up. I missed the documentary on TV, but luckily managed to catch it on the bbc i player.

While I think that it's pretty cool that there is a hidden code woven into these books, for me, they will only ever be cool stories from my childhood that transported me from my bedroom to magical realms.

For those non Brits who can't watch the documentary yet, here is a brief explanation of how the books relate to the planets.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – Jupiter

Jupiter was the best planet and Lewis’s favourite. Jupiter was the planet of kingship, and this story is a clash between the children’s destiny as kings and queens of Narnia, under the ‘King of the Wood’, Aslan, and Edmund’s mistaken attempt to become king under the evil White Witch. Jupiter brought about "winter passed and guilt forgiven", according to Lewis’s poem, ‘The Planets’, and in this first Narnia Chronicle the White Witch’s winter passes and Edmund’s guilt is forgiven.

Prince Caspian – Mars

Mars is famously the god of war and this is a war story, a civil war to drive out the usurping King Miraz. Less famously, Mars is a god of woods and forests – Mars Silvanus, as he was known. Hence the continual use of arboreal imagery and the appearance of ‘silvans’ at the final battle, who never appear in any other Chronicle. Reepicheep is a ‘martial’ mouse; Miraz frets over his ‘martial policy’. The chesspiece found at the start of the story is, naturally, a knight.

The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader' – the Sun

A story about a journey towards the rising sun. Aslan flies out of the sunbeam towards Lucy as an albatross; he appears in the room when she utters the spell to make invisible things visible; he is seen shining as if in bright sunlight, though the sun has in fact gone in, on Goldwater Island. Gold, of course, is the sun’s metal. The killing of dragons on Dragon Island is drawn from Homer’s Hymn to Apollo, where the sun-god Apollo is Sauroctonus, the lizard-slayer. (Compare Tolkien’s villain, Sauron.)

The Silver Chair – the Moon

Aslan only appears in person in his own high country above the clouds and has to be remembered by way of signs and in dreams below in Narnia where the air is thick. The structure of the book reflects the great lunar divide that existed in medieval cosmology between the translunary realm of certitude and the sublunary realm of confusion. The lost Prince Rilian is a lunatic, bound to a chair made out of the Moon’s metal, silver. The horses Coalblack and Snowflake are derived from the steeds which pull the Moon’s chariot in Spenser’s Faerie Queene.

The Horse and His Boy – Mercury

Cor and Corin are based on Castor and Pollux, the horseman and the mighty boxer of Homer’s Iliad and stellated as Gemini, The Twins, a constellation in the house of Mercury. As separated but then reunited identical twins they represent "meeting selves, same but sundered", as Lewis puts it in the lines about Mercury from ‘The Planets’. Shasta becomes a fleet-footed messenger. A Narnian lord wears a steel cap with little wings on either side of it, a clear reference to the petasus, Mercury’s hat.

The Magician's Nephew – Venus

Venus is the fertile planet associated with laughter, motherhood, beauty, warmth, and the apple grove of the Hesperides. Hence this story of the birth of Narnia and the healing of Digory’s mother with a magic apple taken from the Western garden; hence also "the First Joke"! The wicked Jadis is what Lewis elsewhere called "Venus Infernal", the anti-Venus; she is based on the goddess Ishtar, who was especially worshipped in Nineveh. That is why Jadis calls Charn "that great city", an allusion to Jonah 1:2; 3:2.

The Last Battle – Saturn

Aslan does not appear at all until all the characters are dead, reflecting the nature of Saturn, the planet of (apparent) ill-chance and treachery and death. Aslan is here the deus absconditus, the God who is felt only in abandonment. Father Time with his scythe is a mythological character based on Saturn. In a surviving Narnian typescript, Father Time is named ‘Saturn’, but Lewis amended this to ‘Father Time’ before publication in order to keep his planetary theme more carefully hidden.

Narnia and the Seven Heavens

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is really interesting, seems like there were some alchemical properties connected to the books

Although Tolkiens work, i think has much more obvious ties to the world then Narnia, and im surprised many havent figured out some of the stuff thats in there.

for example Sauron (the all seeing eye representing the Illuminati) sends "9" of his wring wraiths to get the ring back.

Were does this sound familiar?

To me it sounds like the 9 original Templar's who were sent to go find Solomon's treasure, which according to stories says that Solomon had a ring of power that he used to control demons, and even more coincidentally both the ring from Sauron and Solomon's rings have the same inscription on it.

Also apparently there is a story of Solomon losing his ring and then it being found by 2 fishermen. Sounds exactly like the way it went in the LOTR.

There are also a few other things like:

- Saruman represents the Church, who ultimately betrayed the Templars and in extension the Illuminati, just like Saruman was planning to do with Sauron

- Mines of Moria, Jerusalem was built on or near a hill called Moriah

- Melkor is obviously Lucifer, whom is known as "Great Death" by enemies and "the Giver of Freedom" by followers.

- The three jewels from the Silmarillion, i can only see a connection to the three jewels of buddhism

This is basically what i have discovered from reading the books once and watching the movies countless times. Im sure there is a huge amount more. Its interesting that these books that would contain such secrets are so popular, perhaps they are written in an geometric way that attracts people to the stories

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
This is really interesting, seems like there were some alchemical properties connected to the books

What is interesting is that the original "One Ring" is the story of King Gyges of Lydia (c. 716 BC to 678 BC?) in Plato's Republic: en.wikipedia.org...

According to the legend, the ancestor (in Book 10 Socrates refers to the ring as belonging to Gyges himself, not his ancestor as Glaucon states in Book 2) of Gyges of Lydia was a shepherd in the service of King Candaules of Lydia. After an earthquake, a cave was revealed in a mountainside where Gyges was feeding his flock. Entering the cave, Gyges discovered that it was in fact a tomb with a bronze horse containing a corpse, larger than that of a man, who wore a golden ring, which Gyges pocketed. He discovered that the ring gave him the power to become invisible by adjusting it. Gyges then arranged to be chosen as one of the messengers who reported to the king as to the status of the flocks. Arriving at the palace, Gyges used his new power of invisibility to seduce the queen, and with her help he murdered the king, and became king of Lydia himself. King Croesus, famous for his wealth, was Gyges' descendant.

I wish I could say more about what it means, but honestly, I never read Tolkien's books...

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Interesting as Tolkien and Lewis were actually friends. I didnt know that!

Many fans are aware of that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were close friends. Tolkien helped convert Lewis to Christianity, whereas Lewis encouraged Tolkien to expand his fictional writing; both taught at Oxford, both were interested in literature, and both wrote fictional books which propagated basic Christian themes and principles. At the same time, though, they also had serious disagreements — in particular, over the quality of Lewis’ Narnia books.

atheism.about.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
ya i knew that before, i read a small book on tolkien's life a few years back, and it said they were both in a sort of book club together were they shared ideas and stuff

another thing they said in the book was that Tolkien wrote all his stories in a make it up as you go along way

i would say that from all of the symbolism and hidden meanings this assertion is most likely incorrect

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Infact he was quite the oposite and very religious indeed.

He was critisised for using the book the lion the witch and the wardrobe as a sub-consious weapon against children.

There were many religious subject's being dealt with in the book.

For example the main character aslan was infact a representation of jesus christ himself.

Who died and rose again.

Quite an evil character if you ask me.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

new topics

top topics

join