It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wassup ATS! I am glad to be here, and you should be too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I\'ll try to be concise with this intro because there is a lot I can say. Feel free to ask questions, and I\'ll answer if they are not intrusive.

Get my Perspective:
I\'m 20 years old, in the prime of my life, in college. Straight up BBOY. LA ALL DAY.
I was a science boy growing up, and that has given a solid base of knowledge and interest in chemistry, physics, and astronomy; however, my passion for dance (you may know as breakdancing, or bboying) has directed my study toward Hip Hop culture, sociology and HISTORY. I am now a History major and Civic Engagement minor ;]. About to graduate next year with a stinkin\' pile of financial debt *ahem* I mean "aid" to pay off.

I try to be as news-conscious as possible just to see what the MSM is feeding the general population, and I turn to ATS for more reliable news (although there\'s bogus stuff all over these boards as well) and rational discussion of the issues and their relation to society.

I notice most ATS members have a TERRIBLE and LAUGHABLE misunderstanding of Hip Hop culture, probably due to the media propagation of misogyny, materialism, and just bad music and dancing, labeled as "hip hop." I do not blame you.

I'll tell you right now, real hip hop culture goes deep, back to civil rights, back to Harlem Renaissance, back to Blues culture, and even back to Africa! Hip Hop is a philosophical, spiritual, and intellectual movement, it\'s a behavioral evolution, and it\'s the FUTURE. It\'s a globalized culture unlike any other. If you don\'t believe me, I can tell you about it.

Anyway, I went on longer than I wanted, and this is definitely not as concise as I would have liked. Basically, I\'m here to contribute a fresh perspective. Given my duties and priorities as a student, dancer, and community leader (tryin\' to be!), I\'ll not post too often, but I will provide insight when I can.

Any questions?

I keep my eye on the sky,
watch the moon go by.
As a bboy I train to fly,
and make history on the side.
I tend to ask WHY,
and HOW, focus on the now,
and live my own style.

PEACE, BE BLESSED
TO THE ABOVE AND BTS.

(normally my rhymes are way better HAHA)
peace outside...

**Edit cuz the server is adding blackslashes to my apostrophes!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by orion the bboy]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
No one wants to say hi to me?

That's fine, I can live with that. Thanks for the warm welcome, ATS'ers.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Welcome aboard. Restart your browser and the backslashes should go away.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hey orion the bboy, welcome to ATS.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. I hope your stay here is as long as as enjoyable as mine has been.

I look forward to seeing you around the boards,

wupy

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Hi ya bboy. Welcome to ATS.

Please don't think no one wants to welcome you because of the slow response.

You, of all people should realize that it is FRIDAY night. Time to shuck and jive and get our groove on man.

Baby, in my prime I would be dancing the night away every Friday night, And usually more of the same on Saturday night.

Are you interested in African language as well as African music?

There is an island close to the island I live on that is the last place the original Ghula language is still spoken. That's right here in coastal Georgia, USA. It is called Sapelo Island. I go by boat there once a week to study the language as it is quickly dieing.

There is a rich history of slave life on Jekyll Island which is not far from Sapelo Island.

It is said a new language was invented so the slave dealers could not understand what the slaves were saying as they were thrown off the ships to swim to shore. It's very interesting part of history.

I like music and dancing in all flavors.

Again, welcome.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yeah I don't mind, it's just an intro thread and not really anything of content unless you want to get to know me better.

I'm interested in the African Diaspora, and I know some things about African language, such as the word hipi in the Wolof language, which means "to know" or "to become aware," and is traced to the origin of the word hip, hippie, hepcat, hipcat, and hip hop. To me, hip hop appeals to a sense of awareness to the ways of the world.

Yo I actually did a show/performance Friday night, and I'm hoping in the future to bring a good message with my shows. There's some potential to spread knowledge, awareness, and consciousness while I got the crowd's focus through my dancing or my spoken word. I've yet to experience any greater power than having everyone in the room focus their attention or energy on everything that I say and do.

And yes, the most interesting parts of history are the parts that you really have to look for to find. Gotta look beyond the hype. Don't believe the hyperbole!

new topics

top topics

join