It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi official moves to regulate child marriages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Saudi official moves to regulate child marriages

edition.cnn.com

Days after a Saudi upheld the marriage of an 8-year-old girl to a man 39 years her senior and blocked a divorce, the kingdom's justice minister said he plans to enact a law that will protect young girls from such marriages, according to local media reports.

The law will place restrictions on the practice to preserve the rights of children and prevent abuses, Justice Minister Mohammed Al-Issa told Al-Watan, a daily newspaper in Saudi Arabia, where all newspapers require government permission to publish.

Al-Issa said there would be a study of a system that will include regulations for the marriage of minors and everything related to such unions, the newspaper reported. No details on the restrictions or regulations were mentioned.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread421806/pg1
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread454460/pg1

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well atleast they seem to have some common sense in the matter. It's far too ridiculous that women are being forced into marriages with people they've never met.

But do to it at such a young age, I mean 8 years old, that's just kind of ridiculous.

I wonder if this is all just fluff from the Saundi's to get the people to forget the whole matter ever happened. It would not surprised me, I don't recall them to bend to public scrutiny.

Then again I am not an expert on the matter of Middle Eastern affairs, so perhaps a fellow ATS member could shed some light on the matter.

~Keeper

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Saudi Arabia's intrinsic relationship with the US means the Saudis could legalise slavery again and no one within the International Community would lift a finger to decry it or stop it.

When you're pumping 100 million barrels of oil per day, Western countries can overlook a lot of pressing issues your country has...

And that's the bottom line here. Oil. Not morality, ethics, religion, but energy reserves.
Saudi Arabia gets away with funding terrorist groups like Hamas, Hezbollah, and funnelling foreign fighters into Iraq (40% of which btw, are Saudi), in addition to having an extremely biased judicial system...

But if N. Korea or Iran or Syria or Russia so much as makes a peep, America and the International Community jump down their throats.

Oh the hypocrisy....

Don't expect this thread to get as much traffic as the "Saudi Court approves Paedophilia" oone.

This is actually portraying Saudi Arabia in a positive light. Nobody wants to hear that kind of nonsense. We want more rabid, Islamophobic fear-mongering.

Honestly though, I think this issue has been debated AD NAUSEUM here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 15/4/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

join