It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profanity censor: what's the point?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
SEE!

You can't even use ### signs. I'll probably get another warning just for having to use the ### signs to make this point here...and it's rather obvious what I'm doing here as well.

You can't use anything that produces, either directly by you or by way of automotons, non-numeric and/or alphabeticallated characters.

For instance...I'll get a warn for this $$$$
this &$%^
and this @(*^&&*

most likely.

*ATS nazis...not just against monkeys anymore*

EDIT NOTE: I had a non-alphabeticallated character in the wrong place. I don't want to get warned for a misquoted non-curse word. I want warnings for the right non-curse words.

[edit on 4-14-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just to clarify my stance on this. Just don't use the words that make the squiggly characters come up and then you won't have the problem.

Also, you won't have to start nonsensical threads like this one.

I've had my share of squiggly-character-induced warnings (apparently I got another one for the hell of it), but it's best to not use the language in the first place...that way more people can read the uberness of ATS instead of being blocked access.

'NUFF SAID!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
WOW - Valhall really took one on the chin to prove a point in this thread. Good thing Val has mid 5 digits worth of points in the bank - think of Valhall's point deduction as an ATS MENTAL GROWTH STIMULUS PACKAGE geared towards the OP to answer the question and keep ATS safe for Google ( and Google AdSense ) searches worldwide.

You have a done a good thing here Valhall.

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
And with the check I just wrote to the IRS, I'm also carrying AIG.

I'm a citizen among citizens at this point.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

I'm sure Valhall et al knew exactly what they were doing in an effort to get their point across!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Any kind of censorship is ridiculous in my opinion. If someone wants to use "bad" words then let them. How can a word be "bad" anyways? lol

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
Any kind of censorship is ridiculous in my opinion. If someone wants to use "bad" words then let them. How can a word be "bad" anyways? lol

Its not the "word" itself that is bad - its the established and accepted meaning of the word that is "bad".

Who decides? Well on the net it would be GOOGLE SEARCH - Net Nanny - Search Dog - your place of business's filter system, oh, and the owner of ANY private website ( just like this one I guess )

Just me 6 pence and 3 pesos worth

Dorian Soran

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
SEE!

You can't even use ### signs. I'll probably get another warning just for having to use the ### signs to make this point here...and it's rather obvious what I'm doing here as well.

You can't use anything that produces, either directly by you or by way of automotons, non-numeric and/or alphabeticallated characters.

this &$%^
and this @(*^&&*

most likely.

See...I just got warned for this one too. Because intelligence isn't actually a part of the clicky function.

Just stay away from the numericallated alphabeticallated functions.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

SEE!

this &$%^
and this @(*^&&*

most likely.

*ATS nazis...not just against monkeys anymore*

EDIT NOTE: I had a non-alphabeticallated character in the wrong place. I don't want to get warned for a misquoted non-curse word. I want warnings for the right non-curse words.

[edit on 4-14-2009 by Valhall]

You asked for the warning and recieved it. As well, the quoting of your post as it stands is not meant to detract from your point, rather to reinforce the relevance of it. But I think that this thread has deviated from the original intent of its' conception...

Context is relevant, in my opinion, and an attention to the context of use (despite the fact that I think that the use of profanity is base and ignorant (save for your intended use, Val)) is a reasonable concern.

And from here on out, I think the point has been made...that profanity is censored for a reason (too many subjective interpretations) and should not be used.

Civility necessarily calls for the awareness of connotation in a collaborative environment.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I think I shall leave this thread now.

Seems to be an AWFUL lot of warns being handed out so generously here.

I have a knack for finding trouble - or some would say it finds me - either way its best if Dorian takes leave of this thread now.

Dorian Soran

Run Dorian, RUN NOW!!!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The above inferential missives not withstanding are by no means consequential divides or definitions of what the T&C allow nor afford..

Again, (and Directly from the T&C agreed to upon registering an account)

Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums,

Quite simple.

Type it as you'd say it (*within reason*), allowing the censors to "catch" the same... and you'll be fine.

Intentionally casting characters designed to circumvent the same, no matter your point, intent, or topical focus, and you may find yourself/post subject to an edit or administrative action.

AGAIN...
Quite simple. A no-brainer.

What's so difficult to understand about that???

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
It really is quite simple...

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, ...

The automatic censors are in place merely for NetNanny-type monitoring programs and the like. That's all.

... no swear, no worries.

If you see more than a single "#", then that poster has intentionally attempted to circumvent the aforementioned automatic censors and should or will be actioned and/or held accountable for the same.

It really is that simple.

Actually, thinking on it, I'm not sure whether there actually were a string of hash symbols. I think it was actually a single hash symbol. There's no way that I actually circumvented the censor: I typed in a swearing word (actually aware that it would be filtered out) and that was it.

Also, the word wasn't actually aimed at an individual either. It's not as if I was actually swearing at another member of the site.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Valhall was very much on the 'side' of The Mods and receives 2 warnings.
Tadge excessive methinks, but....?

The difference in approach and attitude displayed by Mods just re-inforces what I said earlier.....consistency and clarification are what is required, still.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

SEE!

Wow... you really DID get a warning for that. ####! That's messed up.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This whole swearing thing is a huge groan to me. A word is just a word. Whether you use a swear word or an anatomical term, the meaning is exactly the same. Saying one is good and the other is bad is just silly.

Some sectors of society choose to avoid so called bad words, and some sectors of society don't give a damn about them. I think the latter group are the smart ones, but obviously I am in the minority here -- so majority sucks, I mean rules.

Perhaps the most interesting and enlightening aspect of this whole thing is the fact that circumventing the sensors (which results in no swear word even appearing) is almost a greater crime here than actually swearing. Now what does that tell you? Never mind Net Nannies, here we have what appear to be absolute control freaks. I mean, what harm is derived from the use of the symbols other than to the egos of the "controllers"??

If I am missing some point, please enlighten me.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
If I am missing some point, please enlighten me.

The point, as it always has been and always will be on ATS, is to conduct yourself as you would in any other situation where you should be civil due to the unknown combination of sensibilities found in normal every-day mixed company.

Very simple.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join