It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profanity censor: what's the point?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I've just received a warning regarding 'profanity' in one of my posts. The actual word itself was automatically censored out and it's not as if I attempted to circumvent the censor to ensure any swearing stayed readable.

This left a word that had no 'curse content' as such, but rather a string of hash symbols. This in itself isn't a problem in itself and is, given a site that can get heated, probably a good thing.

So why, at a point where there is no 'curse content' due to automatic filtering, should the actual substitution be then removed too and then also a warning and a point deduction handed out? Penalised for a string of hash symbols?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Its too destroy our freedom of Speech! Rise everyone, take over the system and destroy the censor!

I think its to stop trolling and total abuse to people.

And I think this is some kind of error.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
...the string of ###s merely shows that you've had your hand in the cookie jar...

...you're still gonna get a slap for it...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Which would be fair if applied to all posts.

I know for a fact that I have occasionally submitted posts which have been automatically censored, and rightly so, but have not received a warning or even had the posts deleted.
I have seen plenty of posts from other members too who have not been warned.

If the expletive is used as an insult to a fellow member or group etc then I personally think that a warning and possible points deduction is fair and proper, if it is for dramatic effect and used sparingly then surely the automatic filter is sufficient.

I think all that we as members ask for is consistency and possibly some clarification.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

...fair enough too...

For me personally I tend to just *snip* and put in a Mod Note if its a case of a swear being used not directed at anyone...ie: FLIP me!
If its a swear being used that is directed at anyone, then I ping it. ie: FLIP you/them.

If its all just FLIPPITY FLIP FLIP FLIP throughout the reply, or if its just a here a FLIP there a FLIP following a Mod Request to refrain from FLIPPING then I ping it.

Consistancy and clarity are certainly desirable and I certainly take that point.

That said, at any time any person can challenge any Staff Action by way of the Complain/Suggestion link and request a review of the Action in question.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by alien]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OMFGitsJack
Its too destroy our freedom of Speech! Rise everyone, take over the system and destroy the censor!

I think its to stop trolling and total abuse to people.

And I think this is some kind of error.

i have to agree with the OP on this one.

The guy who posted the quote above has an acronym as part of his name that refers to a derogatory phrase.

So what is the difference between a bunch of #####'s
and the actual phrase "OMFG" ??

The only difference is, everyone knows what OMFG stands for, and you can only speculate what the #'s once were.
To say that it's all related to context is silly...because who's deciding the context?

####
is the same as ####
when it's relative to the person reading it....

I believe in having a censor thing in place

but

i dont think he should've gotten a warning for a bunch of #'s

[edit on 14-4-2009 by Fremd]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Here at ATS civil discussion is expected of us, and I fail to see how cuss words fit into a discussion that is civil.

To me, when a person starts cussing, it shows that they are frustrated, and unable to convince another of their point of view, so they just give up and start cussing at them.

That to me, is a sign of weakness, It shows me that they are unable to argue a point and that they have the need to result to childish behavior.

Now keep in mind, I am not saying anything bad agains you personally, but that is the impressiong I get when people stop arguing there point and start cussing and insulting. When that happens they have lost and they know it.

All that said, I do not know in what context this cuss word was used... So just keep what I have said in mind.

Bottom line is you are expected not to use curse words and if you do, even though it is automatically censored you SHOULD be reminded of the rules because you broke them.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
...I can kind of get the point that if the word - in whatever context - has been auto-editted via the auto-censor...then why a Warn...given you didn't technically totally at the end of the day see a swear word...

...a bit like the cookie-jar...

..just because you may have stuck your hand in the jar, pulled out a cookie and was about to take a nice big bite of it JUST as Mom rounded the corner and snatched it outa your hand doesn't absolve you from getting a telling off...irregardless of if the chocolately-cookie-goodness passed your lips or not...

...I'm yet to see a Mom say "Woo, that was lucky, hehehe, you almost got one there. No harm no foul"...

The issue of consistancy then is another one altogether.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Not wanting to labour the point, (I think alien gave a very fair and balanced reply to my point), I would just like to point out that the very man who wrote the song from which your user name derives from quite frequently used swear words for dramatic effect.
Sometimes swear words are used because they simply are the best one's and most apt to use to get your point across and are not an indication of poor vocabulary.

However, I firmly agree that swear words when used as an insult or in a derogatory manner have absolutely no place here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Interesting analogy, but its based on the fact that the cookie is obtainable wheras getting away with profanity isnt.
Why get a points deduction and a warn if its automatically censored out?
Ridiculas!

I realise its a family site & fair enough if no swearing is the rule but if its automatically filtered out how can you break it?

[edit on 14/4/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
...take a gun...shoot at a Senate Member who is behind a bulletproof glass-shield...

...see if the Cops let you walk away...

...its the intent that is the question.

However - again consistancy is something most certainly I'll be mindful of in future.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

just out of curiosity what if you put your own #### in, does that eearn a warn?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

...I'd personally say that depends. IF you're using the ###s to represent a swear...such as using a string of symbols like @#$% as Comic-strips might do...then I'd personally see that as Censor Circumvention...which is also a no-no here.

The issue of Consistancy is being discussed by Staff at present - just so we as Staff can all be on the same page and hopefully reduce any consistancy issues which might crop up.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It really is quite simple...

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, ...

The automatic censors are in place merely for NetNanny-type monitoring programs and the like. That's all.

... no swear, no worries.

If you see more than a single "#", then that poster has intentionally attempted to circumvent the aforementioned automatic censors and should or will be actioned and/or held accountable for the same.

It really is that simple.

ALERTS are welcomed, and more importantly they are greatly appreciated, especially in those instances where a member happens across a post, comment or phrase outside the minimal constraints set forth by the T&C

ATS is what her members make it... to Care and to Alert upon those attempting to disrupt the same would seem not only appropriate but common sense... just the same.

Yet another opportunity and/or aspect where members have the ability to exercise control or influence over content.

ALERT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actioned or otherwise (warns) seem entirely dependent upon the content and context therein... with context typically being the deciding factor.

Just saying...

$.02

[edit on 14-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Because they don't want us calling each other f###tards and dip####s. They don't wanting you f###ing around with the integrity of the site. Those f###ing words can get them blackb###ed off certain systems like worksites, school computer labs, and even the f###ing libraries...because they don't have a sense of humor...get it ####!?!

Anyways, it's actually kind of self-evident, isn't it?

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The above being a case in point.

Intentional censor circumvention.

No matter the rather obvious intent to make their point.

Warned.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
*Editted: Another SuperMod got it...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I just want to make an observation about the profanity filter. I do not want to see profanity when I read things here, but what about something like "#ake mushroom"? I noticed this would happen when I sent an U2U to another member where I used "hajimema#e", Japanese for "pleased to meet you". In both instances the censored part has no actual or implied profane meaning.

[edit on 14-4-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Yup. Unfortunately our Auto-censors *snip* set words - even if the 'word' is part of a proper word.

An example is the derogatory word N--ger. It comes out N-word.

Try typing the country N-igeria (without the - put in), you wind up with: N-wordia

Another example for another forum I moderate:
There was a spate of people using the word Pigs when talking about Police Officers. One of the Admins replaced the word Pigs with Boys in Blue.

...then we had a legitimate thread posted on Pig-hunting...how to gut and skin any Pig you killed, how to cook them etc...

...I'm sure anyone would have thought we were discussing Constable Cannibalism...

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

This makes me believe that John Footpenis would have never been able to change his name to Hancock if he were an ATS member.

The declaration of independence sure would have looked different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join