It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Gasps Of Free Speech: Goodbye Internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I am a reporter and know far more about the neccesity of "neutrality" than most readers on this site. I also have seen just how destructive libel and gossip on the web is and how it pervades reality to the point that people can't distinguish fact from fiction. Ever read most of the posts on this site all the way through? My only surprise is that more people on here do NOT get harassed by the government for the nonsense they write.

Sorry but a vast amount of websites serve no purposes other than gossip and self promotion, including a hell of a lot of news sites. The Internet was kept out of the general public's hands for many years exactly to prevent what it has become and technically, the government is well within rights to rescind it since its actual purpose was military/government interfacing. The people who argue against "censorship" usually are people hiding behind a computer intentionally writing false or exploitative garbage to stir crap up.

You are NOT a reporter, that is abundantly clear. If you consider yourself in any way a reporter it could only be a misguided reaction to the trivial diploma from some obtuse regional apprenticeship served with a chalk board tabloid.

No serious journalist would ever even consider writing what you have written - for without doubt the vast majority of all the printed material in human history has little more value than that which you decry - yet we defend our right to say, speak, write and proclaim what ever we wish as the censoring, prevention or deletion is of far greater concern that the slanderous, useless diatribes we create.

The vast majority, probably 99.99% of all that has been written, spoken or carved into rocks was useless claptrap with only a very tiny fraction being worthy of greatness or even worthwhile in some remote degree.

But these great pieces, from Huxley to Marx would not exist if the censorship you advocate existed.

Again - there is absolutely NO CHANCE you are a journalist of any note what-so-EVER - and I would challenge you to an debate on any issue of any significance at any time as your comments are so profoundly ill informed that I have no hesitation in assuming the mantle of your intellectual superior hence forth. A truly moronic post.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Hey, I was a reporter for my school paper like four years ago

You just don't know sometimes. I don't think that them being a reporter or not is the issue, here. Plus, they could report sports or something completely different.

The media is everywhere. We are kind of all reporters.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Amen and amen! A star for you! Well said in the defense of free speech and much more literate than my offering. Perhaps you ARE a member of the vanguard of liberty sir, a valued member of the press? Keep the faith!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SGTChas
reply to post by audas

Amen and amen! A star for you! Well said in the defense of free speech and much more literate than my offering. Perhaps you ARE a member of the vanguard of liberty sir, a valued member of the press? Keep the faith!

Mine was out of fury - yours was considerably more eloquent - thank you all the same - it is galling to see great institutions used frivolously, to seek legitimacy, to usurp authority, when clearly nought is deserved.

Again - yours was excellent - but clearly inaudible, as reason and historical perspective are not within the spectrum of the boorish.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by audas

Hey, I was a reporter for my school paper like four years ago

You just don't know sometimes. I don't think that them being a reporter or not is the issue, here. Plus, they could report sports or something completely different.

The media is everywhere. We are kind of all reporters.

Unfortunately this bears no relevance to the post I created. Your points were covered in the first paragraph. Yes they may cover the burning issue of snow flake doubles, hence they are of absolutely no journalistic credibility.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
The internet is so powerful when it comes to free speech, it's a tool that humanity has just never had before. That is why it's being targeted.

Targeted?? Well, it depends.

I believe the elites are the one who create the internet in the first the place, they're the one who lay the foundation and the standard of the current internet. Isn't that the people's fault, why are they using the elites' tool in the first place? Perhaps you should try to built your own. And if they try to crack down on that too (your very own internet), now that would be really their fault.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
I believe the elites are the one who create the internet in the first the place, they're the one who lay the foundation and the standard of the current internet. Isn't that the people's fault, why are they using the elites' tool in the first place? Perhaps you should try to built your own. And if they try to crack down on that too (your very own internet), now that would be really their fault.

I'm not sure the elites (if they exist in the cabal sort of way) thought the internet would achieve what it has today. As for using the elites tool, well why not use their own inventions against them? The internet is an incredible thing. As for creating my own, well firstly it couldn't be done anymore without large quantities of money as the infrastructure isn't there and secondly why try to reinvent the mousetrap? The internet is pretty damn perfect as it is and that is why we need to stop them censoring it.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Do you think they would suggest such a thing if they couldn't' do it?

is that a trick question?

People offer solutions that are outside their grasp all the time.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to politics

So what will they do if an ISP refuses to 'shut down'? Repercussions could only happen after the event, therefore the internet stays going.

I mean, i do see what you're trying to say, you dont have ot have 'worked in the industry' to understand the simplistic mechanics of how connecting to the internet works.

But it's just not plausible from where I set.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
So what will they do if an ISP refuses to 'shut down'? Repercussions could only happen after the event, therefore the internet stays going.

I mean, i do see what you're trying to say, you dont have ot have 'worked in the industry' to understand the simplistic mechanics of how connecting to the internet works.

But it's just not plausible from where I set.

Imagine how it would be set out. A cyber attack, terror, the companies would fall over themselves to help out the government. However the ISP's are only a small part of it, the government themselves control major hubs that the internet uses and most of the backbones actually have government protection as they are vital.

I'm not sure what your experience is within this industry, you could of course know more than i do about it. However all i can say is that i worked within the computer industry, i understand the mechanics of it and i can promise you that shutting it down for the majority can be done. It really wouldn't be a terribly difficult thing to do.

You can ignore that if you wish but it really is the truth. In the end if they should off access to only 70% of people then it's enough to severly limit any spreading of information and i promise that it is easy to cut off 90% of people in a very short time.

Yes politicians say things they often don't carry out, but when it's about a specific goal like this, they rarely lie because they don't need to lie. They lie about policies and what they will do for you, but that isn't what this is. It's a very simple, technical problem which can be done as i already, roughly set out.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The corrupt few fear that the internet will raise collective consciousness which will then stand up against their evil plan.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Tiered pricing makes sense, who people who use service heavily or consume extra bandwidth should pay more than light users.
As far as censorship goes, there are a lot of websites talking trash and spreading garbage that should be shut down. Face it, most websites do not serve any real purpose other than gossip value.

Please tell me that you are truly not that ignorant. Please.

You see, the problem is that with your thought process you should be allowed to decide who's information is good and who's is trash. Since YOU don't believe in say, a government hand in the JFK assassination you will simply shut down ALL sites that say other than what YOU believe. Before you know it the net is your own perfect world. A world of wonderful sites with only valid information.

The problem is, the valid information is only valid to you. YOU have decided for EVERYONE else what should be allowed out.

Is there crap on the net? Yes. But once we allow the powers that be to control even the smallest part of the net then they will eventually control it all. Sure, the garbage will go away but so will the good stuff. The truth. Then we are back to being force fed what we are to believe as truth when in fact we know that a good majority of what we are currently told by our leaders is twisted to benefit their own agendas.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

That is a rather large part of my point and you made the point very well
Free speech means hearing thing syou may not like, agree with or even respect in any way. I hear read things on the net i'm disgusted to see, but in the end that is free speech, and it is my right to speak against what others say. I'm so tired of people trying to censor others whilst claiming they are bastions of free speech.

The internet truly is the last, absolutely free play to converse. We can touch so many people with words in this electronic web of ours. Please, please do not role over and let this web of information be closed down to include only official sources.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Other than the obvious fact that you are playing devils advocate, I see no merit to what you are saying. You are a reporter for who? Soviet Russia, Communist China, Nazi Germany... give me a break, your argueing for the sake of argueing.

You represent the best of the American Future, An Indoctrinated Peasant.

Fox

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This seems to be more an ISP push am I right?,to carve up the net into packages to $ell.(like all the vista packages) Premium will co$t you.

The internet as we know it is at risk because of proposed new EU rules going through end of April. Under the proposed new rules, broadband providers will be legally able to limit the number of websites you can look at, and to tell you whether or not you are allowed to use particular services. It will be dressed up as ‘new consumer options' which people can choose from. People will be offered TV-like packages - with a limited number of options for you to access......
*It means that the Internet will be packaged up and your ability to access and to put up content could be severely restricted.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0969be789a9f.gif[/atsimg]

I didn't see any reference to a "Filter" type restriction as the Australian government are still trying to implement.

Source:
Optus says 'yes' to internet filter plan Phillip Hudson April 23, 2009
OPTUS customers in Sydney and Newcastle will be asked to take part in the Federal Government's controversial test of internet filters. In a boost for the Government, the nation's second-largest internet service provider said yesterday it would take part in a six-week trial.

Zelong.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I do agree that it is the most influential medium known to humanity. I'm really anticipating what really will become of this newborn of connectivity. Either the internet will become so regulated that it will only be of use in specific circumstances, like a rich get richer the poor get poorer scenario, or it will become obsolete because a new form of communication possibly thriving from a web-based idea will arise and become the new convenience. A lot of exciting and horrifying things will occur in the future.

But I disagree that the internet is the only true place to discuss "everything." Your voice, my voice, one's own voice will never go away. As long as man has the ability to think for himself and control his free will the only lasting true place to discuss everything will come from your mouth or your hands to anyone who will listen.

The internet is the last truly free place to discuss everything, a place that gives power to the people like no other medium. Lets keep it that way.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Tiered pricing makes sense, who people who use service heavily or consume extra bandwidth should pay more than light users.
As far as censorship goes, there are a lot of websites talking trash and spreading garbage that should be shut down. Face it, most websites do not serve any real purpose other than gossip value.

Actually, people should buy their own modem, and have the internet program, which is just a protocol, written free like linux, and recieve it full strength fast and efficient via the many satellites clogging up space FOR FREE!!!!! Anything else is highway robbery. Recycle computer programs locally can make clusters of servers easily.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Also, don't really understand why we need to buy modems exactly. It should just be a wireless modem card that goes in the computer, with a partition easily accessed from every OS, just a small one, so you can make your adjstments, set your preferred sites and passwords,etc.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Yup, I have to agree...the above poster for instance, should not be allowed to have an opinion. Since I don't agree with the above opinion, I guess that means they shouldn't be allowed to have it then right?

The point here isn't that many websites are drivel, as that is true, the point is that the people...THE PEOPLE should be allowed to have their opinion. Even if we don't agree on the content of that opinion.

Thanks for reading.
..Ex

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
So by shutting off the internet, you mean that they're literally going to send someone to every home in America with a pair of scissors to cut the Ethernet lines?

There isnt a giant modem underground that's controlling everybody's access that can be shut off at the user's will....

Actually, there is.... The dot com, net and org domains can be turned off at a whim by the powers that be. The root servers are government controlled and can easily shut off any one domain whenever they like. If you would like an example of this, just allow a dot com domain to expire.

The country specific domains would need to be cut off within the countries own root server namespace. So by demanding that the root servers are turned off, once caching had expired the internet as you know it would indeed be turned off. Not that I agree it should be done, just saying it could be done.

Thanks for reading
..Ex

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join