It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hostile UFO Encounters: Colares, 1977

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

No problem mate and there's also another link below which goes into quite a bit more detail about the meeting -there's also existing documentation on Operação Prato posted along with some good links to Brazilian research and the Ministry of Defense.

Let's hope if there is hundreds of hours worth of UFO footage then the Brazilian Government will actually have the balls to release it.

Ministry of Defense and ufologists hit communication channel world first

Cheers.
edit on 23-4-2013 by karl 12 because: Operação Prato not Operation Plato

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a great UFO Phenomena flap that was documented officially by Brazilian Military and disclosed to public.

the only mystery of COLARES FLAP is this :

Why this case that was documented in detail and released to public not being scrutinized by US UFOLOGIST / Enthusiast ? Why US UFO Enthusiast dismiss Hard Cases like this and go for the fantasy realm like roswell, conspiracy, dulce, alien corpse, captured UFO ? Why roswell case still continue to be primary focus when other hard UFO cases like COLARES are way more detailed ?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by milomilo
a great UFO Phenomena flap that was documented officially by Brazilian Military and disclosed to public.

Why this case that was documented in detail and released to public not being scrutinized by US UFOLOGIST / Enthusiast ? Why US UFO Enthusiast dismiss Hard Cases like this and go for the fantasy realm like roswell, conspiracy, dulce, alien corpse, captured UFO ? Why roswell case still continue to be primary focus when other hard UFO cases like COLARES are way more detailed ?

Why U.S.? The Brazilian Ufologists are good at what they do and have quite a lot of experience in UFO incidents, and skeptics usually sidetrack cases like this because they feel they can get by in the field by sticking to conspiracy cases like Roswell and Dulce as there's no definitive proof. Skeptics can't dismantle cases like Colares easily so they avoid it

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Why U.S.? The Brazilian Ufologists are good at what they do and have quite a lot of experience in UFO incidents, and skeptics usually sidetrack cases like this because they feel they can get by in the field by sticking to conspiracy cases like Roswell and Dulce as there's no definitive proof. Skeptics can't dismantle cases like Colares easily so they avoid it

Why US ? US Ufology is the core of the current 'LUNATIC FRINGE' of UFOLOGY that ruins serious research in UFO Phenomena..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Why US UFO Enthusiast dismiss Hard Cases like this and go for the fantasy realm like roswell, conspiracy, dulce, alien corpse, captured UFO ?

Why roswell case still continue to be primary focus when other hard UFO cases like COLARES are way more detailed ?

Well I agree about concentrating efforts on other more detailed cases Milo but I think when it comes to Roswell it's only fair to point out that the incident did occur in the middle of a huge localised UFO flap at the time and needs to be seen in that context - A51Watcher's thread contains so many disc shaped UFO reports from the Summer of 1947 (and the two week period before Roswell) that it certainly makes a person wonder -the two books linked below also contain a wealth of UFO reports from the same time and area.

The Day Before Roswell
Report on the UFO Wave of 1947 - Ted Bloecher
Alfred Loedding and the great flying saucer wave of 1947 by Michael D Hall & Wendy A Conners

Cheers.

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

Skeptics usually sidetrack cases like this because they feel they can get by in the field by sticking to conspiracy cases like Roswell and Dulce as there's no definitive proof. Skeptics can't dismantle cases like Colares easily so they avoid it

Interesting point mate and I've seen quite a number of ATS threads about specific (and very interesting) UFO cases willfully ignored over the years -here's the best definiton of a skeptic I've ever come across and you'd think that people claiming to be one would be all over the truly puzzling and unexplained incidents.

Skeptic - One who practices the method of suspended judgment, engages in rational and dispassionate reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method, shows willingness to consider alternative explanations without prejudice based on prior beliefs, and who seeks out evidence and carefully scrutinizes its validity.

UFO Skeptic

Of course some people just engage in vague generalizations and attempt to bamboozle people with big words without ever addressing the truly perplexing cases (and observed aspects and patterns of UFO behaviour) but then that doesn't sound like a very sincere or objective approach to me.

Anyway, there's a link here from UFOUpdates with yet more info on the Brazilian meeting and thought it was interesting that some of the participating military officials were completely unaware of certain registered UFO cases in Brazil (like Operation Saucer) -also mentioned is the 'official night of UFOs in Brazil' on the 19th of May 1986 which is a very strange series of events.

Official Night of UFOs in Brazil

Cheers.
edit on 26-4-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

As I mentioned above, Brazil has had a ton of UFO incidents and I'm sure that Brazlian Ufologists have more than enough experience in relation to there U.S. counterparts

Personally I think the Brazil military is a breath of fresh air, at least they're trying to be honest about it all, "honesty" must be verging on being a bad word status within the walls of the U.S. military's compounds

In fact I stand corrected, honesty doesn't even come into the equation, it's more of a case of ignore and don't mention the more reliable and solid cases in the hope that they just disappear.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wow, excellent thread to review.
Why do these things always seem happen in backward countries tho, or to hillbillys in the sticks?
No offence to Brazilians, but the villagers took it more as Demons coming to suck (chupa chupa
I always wondered why the lollies were called that) their blood.

OR is there an ancient Aztec/Inca/Toltec/Mayan etc connection there?? The Nazca lines, ancient astronauts etc? Makes you wonder.

And I notice there is an obvious language translation problem....I guess Portuguese to English is difficult.

For instance...the report says a UFO object was 2cm long (WTF??), and we observed it at 1500metres then 6000 metres....This Im affraid is Impossible...2 cm is the size of a fly...seen at 1500 then 6000 metres? I dont think so.

Lets hope the Photographs are still in Brazil somewhere, and not sent to Wright Patterson or the Pentagon to be filed in Warehouse 13

Love the light beam weapon..red for danger...So what did the UFOnauts look like?

Whatever happened to that Brazillian peasant driving his tractor in the fields at night, that was "used" by the attractive female red haired humanoid on her spacecraft, back in the early 60s? Any follow up on that story?

Brazil...geesh.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I read this thread some time ago an thought it was pretty interesting and odd. While discussing this case in another thread, it reminded me of a phenomenon i had read about on my own or picked up in a college course where whole towns were enveloped in hallucinogenic hysteria after consuming rye grains tainted with ergot fungus. L S D is a derivative of ergot.

Saint Anthony's Fire

Also known as ‘sacred fire’ and ‘invisible fire,’ St Anthony’s Fire is a medieval disease that was given it’s name from one of the key symptoms. In some iterations of the disease the sufferer’s skin blisters and turns black, as if burned by fire, but with no associated pain. What the individual is actually suffering is the gangrenous form of ergot poisoning, a type of fungal poisoning caused by the ergot fungus which grows on rye. When the rye grains are ground to flour and eaten as bread or porridge the consumer becomes poisoned.
Saint Anthony's Fire

Stuff to blow your mind?

While its an interesting thought, there doesn't really seem to be any real connection at first glance. Out of curiosity, I looked at the physical symptoms and there does seem to be a generalized match.

Doctor Wellaide Cecim Carvalho was the local physician and it fell to her to treat the victims of these encounters. She took blood samples, and concluded that the victims suffered from generalized hyperthermia, superficial chronic headache, burnings, intense heat, nausea, tremors in the body, giddiness, asthenia and presented very small punctures in the skin where they were hit by the beams. These symptoms are regularly seen in patients undergoing chemotherapy when their blood becomes weakened by the radiation. Dr Carvalho wrote…

These do sound a little like the symptoms of ergotism.

Convulsive symptoms include painful seizures and spasms, diarrhea, paresthesias, itching, mental effects including mania or psychosis, headaches, nausea and vomiting. Usually the gastrointestinal effects precede central nervous system effects.

The common name for ergotism is "St. Anthony's Fire",[10] in reference to monks who cared for victims as well as symptoms, such as severe burning sensations in the limbs.

Wiki article

Then I happened to be reading another article where I picked up this:

All of them had suffered lesions to the face or the thoracic area. [The lesions]… began with intense reddening of the skin in the affected area. Later the hair would fall out and the skin would turn black. There was no pain, only a slight warmth.
Doctor Carvalho (ufocasebook)

St Anthony’s Fire
Also known as ‘sacred fire’ and ‘invisible fire,’ St Anthony’s Fire is a medieval disease that was given it’s name from one of the key symptoms. In some iterations of the disease the sufferer’s skin blisters and turns black, as if burned by fire, but with no associated pain.
Burning for St Anthony’s Fire

Now THAT is an uncanny resemblance.

I understand I'm not addressing the whole case but only just this one aspect of it.

So not only does the behavior and the hallucinatory symptoms match pretty well and the fact that this has been known to happen to whole towns historically, some of the descriptions of the detail of the physical symptoms match pretty closely and seem almost identical.

So I'm not sure if this has been discussed before with regards to this case or not as I really couldn't find anything matching after googling. The closest I came was someone hammering that this was a CIA mind control experiment using related substances. Personally, I don't think so, but here are a couple of articles about a town in France where this may have happened in 1951. Judge for yourself if that seems similar to this case.

St Anthony's Fire in France

The CIA version

In another odd coincidence...

The newspaper also reported that in Santo Antônio do Ubintuba, Police Commissioner Benjamin Amim said that the following evening six unidentified flying objects were seen over the village emitting rays of green, red and yellow lights.

Santo Antônio translates to Saint Anthony, I believe.
edit on 15-6-2013 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

That's an interesting possibility, although there are some differences in the symptoms for it to be exactly the same thing.

And yes, Antônio (in Brazilian Portuguese or António in European Portuguese) means Anthony, but there's a Portuguese saint Anthony (this week, on the 13th, there was a local holiday in Lisbon and other places, dedicated to this saint), so it's a common name in Portugal and Brazil.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That's an interesting possibility, although there are some differences in the symptoms for it to be exactly the same thing.

It's hard to say since the symptoms of ergotism seem to vary.

The interesting thing is that there is enough information from medieval times to explain the phenomenon during that time period. There should be absolutely no problem confirming or ruling this out with this case from 1977. If there is really documentation from hospitals and doctors, let's have at them and put them in front of experts.

The first time it seems to have been explained was 1976 which would explain why it was missed in 1977.

This medical explanation for the theory of “bewitchment” is one first propounded by Linnda R. Caporael in 1976 in an article in Science.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
There are a couple of things that would need to be looked at to even consider ergotism as a possibility.

1. That its possible to even grow ergot in that environment.
2. That there was something stored nearby for it to grow on and that it was used as a food source. In this case rye or Sorghum.
3. The climate was unusually wet.

Some interesting points
1. Sorghum Ergot contamination was reported in Brazil In 1995.
2. Food shortages do correlate to ergot outbrakes. There was one statement about there being very little food.
3. Brazil is one of a few countries in the world that does grow rye. Well, at least in 2007 that was true.
4. It seems to have been an under developed part of the world in 1977. If so, its possible they didnt have modern techniques to clean the rye, if there was even rye to clean.

There are a couple of things that are hard to account for.
1. The reports of a beam of light striking the victims. The light being so bright that it hurt their eyes. Lights that bright are really hard to hallucinate. The only thing I can think of that would account for that would be a seizure, maybe. Seizure is one symptom of ergotism but I didn't see that reported.

2. It would only account for some of the flap. It doesn't explain everything. Photos and other witnesses.

A lot of the accounts, mostly of the behavior and not really the sightings, do seem very "influenced".

The symptoms of the victims do seem very similar to that of ergotism and its hard to ignore.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

From what I could see about it, it looks like Brazil produces rye but in small quantities, and, according to Wikipedia, the production has been declining in the last 50 years for several reasons.

Also, it's produced on the southern-most part of Brazil, while Colares in the northern-most part, and, being a fishing area, I don't think they would have a relatively rare cereal like rye.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Rye would have had to been stored and used locally in a wet, unclean environment. Not impossible but it does make it less likely.

The other option was that it was introduced artificially but I try to avoid conspiracy theories.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Just discovered this thread, and need to S&F!
There looks to be a lot of good info here; enough to keep me out of trouble for a bit!

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in ATS.

Firstly I apologize for my English in advance. Hope your language will survive to my performance here (I think it will, since it already survived George W. Bush and our own former warlord José María Aznar).

I just want to bump this thread, which is about one of those cases that... Well, one of those cases.

The original Brazilian military report can be found at the following webpage (the document is in Portuguese, but contains a great display of drawings and pictures):
mysteryplanet.com.ar...
[Once there, just click in "Documento OVNI Desclasificado - Operación Plato (102,3 MB)" at the bottom of the article].

If I had to choose a single UFO case to get someone interested in the UFO mess, I'd take Colares 1977 UFO wave for a lot of reasons.

The whole case is excellently introduced by Kandinsky in this thread.

If you didn't know it, enjoy.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Saving for later. An important event and one I need more information on. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 29 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Saving for later. An important event and one I need more information on. Thanks.

To be honest, I'd write a different OP if I could do it again. That isn't to say there's a new explanation that makes sense...it remains a puzzle.

A good member had plans to write a new thread on the subject and he'll probably bring a fresh perspective.

a reply to: valleean

Thanks for bumping the thread and bring your links

edit on 4.29.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Well it was a very worthwhile read for me and has put some ideas in my head concerning Rendlesham and a thread I'm following.
Colares comes up here and there from time to time and it'd be nice to find some answers someday.
Anyway Thanks for your work.
I'm back off into that forest again.

posted on May, 2 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

To be honest, I'd write a different OP if I could do it again.

what a tease...

Another write up on this case(most the relevant pics all in one page), Vallee has good quote here.

The reason the phenomenon could not be denied was very simple: every evening the UFOs appeared, coming from the north. In some cases, they flew down from the sky, in others, they emerged out of the ocean. I saw a photograph of an object with a luminous white ring flying right out of the brackish water at dusk.

They came over the islands at low altitude and circled; they descended as if to land; they made loops and accelerated suddenly; they hovered over houses and probed the inside with beams. They even emerged out of larger objects and reentered them. And this happened on schedule, every evening for three months.

Switching gears, Hangar 1 did an episode, UFOs on the Hunt, that reminded me of this case. I like the helicopter case at 36:24 the best

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Mysterious Universe did a podcast recently and the first part of the episode they go into a lot of detail about the Chupa chupas. I found the accounts to be quite chilling it's well worth listening to the episode.

UFO attacks and saucer doctors feature this week with more strange cases featuring physiological evidence of contact.

17.18-MU Podcast

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join