It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is it with some people and their nutty NEEDS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
In recent times I've seen threads on ATS with titles such as , "I NEED you guys to disprove this," "I need information on becoming a werewolf," and "I need proof of extraterrestrial life."

What the Hell? You need this information?

Why?

What's gonna happen if you don't get it?

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

It is just an issue of improper wording. To me it is obvious that what the mean is that they WANT to know.

I see a similar issue with people who use the word proof instead of evidence. There IS a difference. That is a personal pet peeve of mine when people say they have proof of somethiing and all they provide is evidence.

Ok you have evidence? Say so! Don't say you have proof when you dont! Ugh. It just bugs me even though I understand what they mean.

Anyway, It is really just a matter of improper wording. They don't NEED to know how to become a werewolf, the WANT to know. ALot of people just say need when the word want is more apporpriate. I used to do the same thing as a kid around christmas time.

I NEED this toy for christmas! In reality, I only wanted it.

That said, this belongs in the Rant section of BTS. Not in the Aliens/ufo section of ATS. No worries though. The mods will move it to it's appropriate spot soon enough.

[edit on 12-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
When I become the emperor, nobody will be permitted to post anything on the Internet unless they've taken a class in critical thinking and have demonstrated proficiency in being able to find and click the "check spelling" button in various word processors, e-mail clients and Web interfaces.

Persons who fail to make use of these resources will be punished by having pages from Strunk and White's The Elements of Style tattooed on their foreheads.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I quite agree, people NEED to distinguish between Needs & Wants and understand how it affects another persons view of them and what they say and do.

To "need" an anwser to a particular question implies a dilemma that needs a resolution....most of the time it probably doesn't and it's just a case of "I want, I want, I want!....now pay attention to ME!"

I vote for the tattoos.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Thank you, yes, whenever I see that "I need" phrase being misused, I just assume the person is stupid, crazy, or both.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I dont know why people cant just do a quick google search to find such information. If I want to know something I look myself and if I really cant find anything I ask on here. I find doing a quick search on here or google always gives me what I need. It just seems like some people dont want to do the research themselves. If they dont want to do it themselves then IMO they dont really care that much about it.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Many OPs may want to know the different websites on where to get such information on werewolves and other subjects. I have found many interesting sites through ATS, so I do not blame them. They may still be crazy and want to become werewolves or vampires, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Hey guy's I need to find some some Skunk & Whites style Element tattoos.

Are they anything like "Sailor Jerry's" those are soooooo coooool. Especially the birds.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I thought for sure this OP was going to be about personal preferences and comforts!
You know, like my parent's and in-law's personal requirements for diet and comfort while traveling. Bless their hearts!
God forbid their needs aren't met...

But as it is ATS specific, I think we can safely assume the use is quite rhetorical. And what gimme_some_truth said...

I need a beer.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I dont know why people cant just do a quick google search to find such information.

Just tell them,

I have the information you need! It's all right here:

/5sk5p8

top topics

join