It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you have in your UnderGround Bunker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
If you was building an UnderGround Bunker for your Family to protect yourselves from Troubles that could occur on this planet such as...

.New Plague
.Natural Disasters
.Alien Invasion
Etc

What would you have in your Bunker?
-Weapons...
-Food...
-Clothes...
-Medication...
-Anything that would help you to survive an event. Etc

A list would be great with explantions of why you would choose these items.
My first thread so be nice

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormHoles2012

What would you have in your Bunker?

A list would be great with explantions of why you would choose these items.
My first thread so be nice

Welcome to ATS WormHoles2012!

1. Keira Knightley (the most beautiful woman on Earth)!
Hey, I might have to repopulate the Earth.. at least I hope I will!

2. My guitar with a load of replacement strings.
Something I'd simply die without!

3. Solar powered hydroponic system and water purifiers.
Man cannot live on guitar and Keira Knightley alone ... or can he? Hmm

4. Twister Board Game (with mat)
I think that one speaks for itself ehh!

5. Other responsible things
I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

IRM

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

3. Solar powered hydroponic system.

Ohhh...the possibilities.

To the OP:

I don't know how serious you are, but This Site should at least entertain you for a little while...

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I watched a show a few years ago on a health channel and it was about a crew stuck on an island during the winter. They had a hut and a doctor so all they needed to do was wait out the blizzards. Then one by one the men started to die from different age groups.

So many years later a couple became interested in this story and dug up the bones. They found out that the men died from lack of fruit juice (Vitamin C) and all the insides dissolved.

Will this happen to us too? How can we hide from our flesh and bones?, I believe we need to start underground orchards or go can fruit crazy. I'm no doctor but I believe the illness was scurvy from a defiency in Vitamin C.

I hope everyone takes this subject seriously and prepare meals for your own diet and your loved ones.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by OrangeJuice]

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
100 tins of Organic Spam
200 bottles of beer
Seinfeld Box Set
Bible
Pen knife
Ball of String
2 Candles
Hunk of Cheese
Bread

Apart from all that, if you were really worried about Bird Flu etc, in all seriousness I would investigate MMS (Jim Humble), which is supposed to be one of the best anti-virals out there, and might well be better than government vaccines. I would eat medicinal hemp seeds (Legal, no THC)as a staple.

[edit on 14f20090pmSun, 12 Apr 2009 14:33:38 -050038 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
O.K. enough stupidity.

If people are worried about food, then apart from storable food one of the most important things would be anti-microbial agents. I was thinking last night that MMS would also be a great cleaner to disinfect wild plants. Activated charcoal is also great, so is colloidal silver.

So for me, the most important thing would be to have anti-microbials and high nutrient foods like maca, wheaatgrass, goji berries and other super-foods. This would help stave off nutritional deficiencies. Most of us are severely nut-def to start with anyway.

Another thing- little known- you can eat most forms of grass, and it's very good for you- see Anne Wigmore...

[edit on 14f20091amMon, 13 Apr 2009 10:52:33 -050033 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well a clean air supply and water would be my 2 top requirements. Weapons would be way down at the bottom. And I'd want more than one way in/out. And if its in your garden/yard who will remove the rubble of your former property from your shelters entrance etc.

Air, water, food (you have the shelter), the rest are luxuries IMHO

How long are you going to sit in there for? If I'm couped up with SWMBO and mini DV for more than a few hrs I get restless.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WormHoles2012

not a bunker guy tbh

im gonna squat in a abandoned summer home in a area i have scoped

(why rough it)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That's a good idea Seany... just wondering, how do you know that other people haven't scoped the same place? I guess you don't- but I wonder how well hidden it is?

[edit on 14f20091amMon, 13 Apr 2009 10:48:25 -050025 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

its on a lake about 250 miles outside a major city, they are summer cottages

on a lake, when TSHTF , these sheep will gather inside the city, not aware

I'll take the pick of the litter , Be different rules when its SitX

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I would have a Chinesse and russian phrase book at the ready in my bunker ha ha!......

On a serious note i would probaly never have what i want in my bunker but everything i need!

I posted a thread about the disused bunkers that we have in the uk.....there are hundreds of them but sadly i would say 50% of them are unusable due to poor maintaince and vandalism etc

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
A well-equipped underground shelter would set you back thousands of $$$. If you're going to go to that much expense building one, you might as well make it suitable to protect against radioactive fallout. So, first of all, research fallout shelter design.

Obviously, you're going to need food, water, air filtration, and other essentials which can be researched and applied according to how long you think you may need to be there without any resupply. Think about security, also. Ideally, you would want your shelter to be very hard to spot from above or topside on ground level. So, some kind of camo on top or some way to hide it would be good. You don't want any visitors.

One of the key things that often goes overlooked is sanitation. You'll need waste disposal and you'll need to sponge bath yourself with anti-bacterial and anti-microbial wipes. Garbage and human waste disposal... extremely important.

Another suggestion... redundancy. Put together all your essentials and then have another, different back-up set to use as Plan B. For example, you could design an underground shelter that is complete with all the supplies and features you would need, but that's not all... a secure, reinforced concrete passage leads to your complete shelter #2 (well stocked with everything you might need) that you wouldn't use unless you have exhausted #1 and/or shelter #1 becomes unusable for whatever reason. This is just a suggestion. It's like, if you were to make a voyage in space, you might want to have redundant systems in case your primary goes out for any unforeseen reason.

Oh, and one more thing... any shelter that is situated under ground level is subject to flooding. Take that into consideration.

Just a few thoughts there.

Of course, if your bunker is found out by adversaries and attacked, it would be vulnerable to hand grenades, flame throwers, tear gas and pepper spray, suffocation from plugging your air intakes, and so forth and so on.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by switching yard]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
First, purchase one of these...

US Bunkers

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f2caf37bef1.jpg[/atsimg]

Then stock it with the following bulk supplies.

Feeds a family of 4 for a year..

[edit on 13-4-2009 by MREALE]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
First, I would make sure I had a well dug "inside" my shelter. Fresh water is a must.

Second, I would make sure I had enough basics (wheat, corn, yeast, cooking oil, etc.) stocked up inside to last me and mine however long I thought we would be holed up.

Third, I would build an aquaponics system to run off of solar/wind power. This would supply us with fresh veggies and fish as long as we could keep it running.

Fourth, I would make sure we had a "back-up" shelter in place with hidden access in case our original shelter is compromised.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
While sometimes having too much time on my hands, I've put some thought into this. This will probably go into more than just what to bring.

First, remember, construction underground requires some careful consideration. You wouldn't want some archeologist 500 years from now discovering your crushed body with all your unopened canned food because your shelter collapsed on you. Consult an engineer familiar with this type of construction.

Second, it would depend on your shelter.

- Is it a large shelter intended for a long stay or just a small room to survive a few days in? Of course this will be the first thing you must answer before you decide what to stock it with. A small room for only a few days will only require the bare necessities.

You will need a means of circulating air through your shelter. If you plan on surviving biological/chemical threats you will also have to install some sort of filtration. This creates some complication because now you will need to provide electricity either from the power grid or battery power. Preferably both. You can use the main power and keep the batteries ready if the main power fails. There are systems available which will draw from the main power and automatically switch to battery if it fails. You will then need a means of recharging your batteries or use a manual pump. I would plan on some sort of solar or wind power to at least recharge the batteries. Now the problem of having these exposed arises. Solar/wind power generators could be destroyed in a disaster or simply stolen while you are underground.

Water. For a few days you can probably get away with 5-10 gallons. Figure about a gallon per day per person.

Food. A short term supply could really be anything that you can store a short while without spoiling. It's not going to be very much so you can easily rotate it. Canned goods would probably be all you need. You can get just about anything in a can. Don't forget the can opener.

Some sort of port-a-potty type thing.

A radio, some lights and plenty of batteries. I suppose you could run a metal rod or coax to the surface to receive radio signals.

Some books or other entertainment.

For a large shelter intended for extended periods you really need to plan things out. Especially if your plan is lock yourself in and not leave at all for any reason.

Will you be able to store a years supply of food and water?
Will you be able to get rid of a years supply of garbage, waste?
What will you do in case of sickness or injury? You can still hurt yourself locked in your shelter.
How will you know what's going on outside?
What will you do to keep from going crazy living underground without any contact?
Some sort of permanent electrical supply will be needed to power air pumps, radios, lights, 2-way radios if you want them, electric stove, etc...

If it were me and I had a large amount of funds to invest in it, I would plan to make it much like I would a regular home as far as living space.

A solar/wind power supply would be essential. The problem is how to defend it. I haven't really come up with a simple way.

I would have a septic tank installed. Don't want to store bags of crap(literally).

Install one of these: www.americansaferoom.com...

Kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, storage room(s).
If I were planning a new construction I would have a well drilled that is accessible from inside the shelter. Hook up an electric pump but also have a means of pumping manually. The pump could supply water to a kitchen and bathroom.

I would also have a separate water storage tank installed/constructed as a backup. 500-1000 gallons.

All inlets/outlets would have a valve to shut them off. Drains, water pipes, toilet, air intake/outlet...

Now, what to bring? Whatever you think you'll need for a year.

CONTINUED>>>

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
>>>>CONTINUED

Depending on the reason you are in your shelter and if you are able to come and go, some things may be useless but I would keep them in the shelter anyway. Just because you must get in your shelter, it may not be teotwawki.

Obviously food is important. Canned food, flour, rice, sugar, salt.... It's really personal preference. You can stock up on cases of MRE's or plan your own supply more carefully. As long as you choose foods that will store well.

Salt is important. You need it to live. If you have salty foods stored that's fine but I would keep some anyway.
I would also stock a few bottles of good multivitamins and a few bottles of vitamin C. Canned foods and foods stored for a long time start to lose their nutritional value.
Maybe some other things just to make life more enjoyable.. spices, candy, drink mix, tea bags, coffee... you get the idea.

Supplies and equipment.

Basics. Spare clothes and shoes. Soap, toothbrush, razors, toilet paper...etc
Books. Survival, medical, gardening,..

Though I would try to have electricity and other luxuries one way or another, I would stock some basic camping supplies as back up just in case. Multi-fuel stove, cans of fuel, fire starters, water purification filters/tablets, tent, sleeping bags, a couple of good knives, compass, maps...

First aid supplies/medication. Bandages, splints, antiseptic, blood clotter. A small basic surgical kit. Medications such as aspirin, advil, tylenol, decongestant/cold medicine. You can get antibiotics from pet suppliers. You MUST do your research if you intend to do this.

Weapon for hunting/defense. Personal preference. Rifle, bow, crossbow, spear, cannon, a rock, baseball bat.... I would pick a 22lr rifle, .357 pistol, and something serious like an AK. With the 22lr and subsonic ammo, you can hunt small game relatively quietly. If you want to be almost silent buy a bow now and start practicing. It's not hard but not as easy as it looks.

If you are anywhere near water, a fishing pole or two and tackle.

Seeds and Gardening tools.

Communications. Cell phone. A battery/solar powered radio with shortwave. A few gmrs radios. An all band amateur radio. Laptop. Maybe a small battery powered TV.

Fire extinguisher.

Misc. items. Can opener, nail clipper, bic lighters, matches, duct tape, tarps, wire ties, tools (hammer, nails, screwdrivers, pliers...), ax, saw, candles, flashlights, batteries, Jägermeister, and a bunch of other crap that may or may not be useful.

Ii would rather have something and not need it than need and not have so I would pack as much crap as I comfortably could into my shelter.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
In case of nuclear war, to use when you think it is O.K. to explore outside on the surface, you will need packed away in your bunker: a few protective suits and gas masks (you have to dispose of these after each use above ground), a geiger counter (and know how to use it), whatever protective gear you may need.

In my bunker (imaginary, because I don't have one), I would also have scuba gear and some air tanks.

I still think that probably the most important thing is having little or no trace of your bunker on the surface. You simply do not want to be discovered.

Near the surface, you would not want any unusual heat signature which could be noticed by infrared or heat detecting devices from the air.

Your bunker would have to be very difficult to detect from the air... for example, an enlarged Google Earth photo of your location would reveal nothing... just natural plants and rocks.

Also, you would need some assurance that whomever helped build your bunker would not come back in desperation to try and invade it and wouldn't tell anyone of your location and since this is impossible to trust in advance, it would be best if you can build the thing yourself without any help.

Taking into account all of the factors involved, I'm not sure it is practical at all to try to build your own underground bunker. I would hate to try it without having about $150,000 for construction and supplies (not including the cost of land to build it on). For the same money, you could pack some bags and fly out of the country to some remote location where you could make friends with the locals and survive a conflict (I'm talking very remote), but obviously, you would need to have good timing and get out while you still could make your way to your island or remote place. But that strategy might be a lot better than going down into an underground bunker. Get the heck out of Dodge, so to speak.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
if i had an underground bumker, i had store it with bottled water, nonparishable foods, flashlights, batteries, oil, gasoline, a heater, a generator. I would grow my own vegetables, fruit. first aid kit, clothes, and anything else I really need.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

very good site.... my girlfriend and i know Mr. Nelson personally...and you will not find a more qualified guy to ask for advice..... he and his wife are the best i know and I talked at great length to him about radius enginerring and the shelter we got from them...

new topics

top topics

join