It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico City turns off tap to millions as water reserves dip to historic lows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Mexico City turns off tap to millions as water reserves dip to historic lows

MEXICO CITY - Mexico City has turned off the tap to millions of residents because water reserves have reached historic lows.

The two-day shutdown of a main pipeline starting Thursday affects at least 5 million of the 20 million people in the Mexico City valley. It is the third time this year the metropolis has temporarily turned off the tap to conserve water.

The water restrictions come as many residents are out of town for Holy Week.

An unusually dry rainy season last year left the city's Cutzamala water system at 47 percent capacity compared to 85 percent in previous years. The system supplies 20 percent of the area's water.

The government says it will restore 50 percent of service Saturday and full service by Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Frankidealist35]

Edit to fix link

www.startribune.com...
CiUBcy7hUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

[edit on 4/9/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't know about you but I can't believe this. I like to think of other countries as models. These other countries are models for what the global elites are going to do in other countries in the future. Here, the Mexicans are running out of water so the Mexican government plugged their water supply. I feel very apologetic to them.

www.startribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
America is running out of water too... at least fresh water... there was a huge reservoir of fresh water under the US... now it's almost empty.

But NOOOOOOOOOO we've got to scream about GLOBAL SCAMMING or we don't care about the environment right ECONAZIS? Sorry, i'm just pissed at those fake ecologists they are freaking retarded.

You want to restart the economy in California? Build desalination plants.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The world government is trying their best to slowly depopulate countries. Mexico is 1 of the globalists favorite targets to hit.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by News And History

Most people can only go without water for up to a week at maximum.

Many people there won't have water supply.

So, people doubted us. People said that the elites don't want to depopulate the planet. So what simplest way to do that is there? Take advantage of a crisis and take away water from the people, therefore, people won't have it and everyone or masses of individuals there die.

The situation in Mexico is pretty bleak over there.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
America is running out of water too... at least fresh water... there was a huge reservoir of fresh water under the US... now it's almost empty.

But NOOOOOOOOOO we've got to scream about GLOBAL SCAMMING or we don't care about the environment right ECONAZIS? Sorry, i'm just pissed at those fake ecologists they are freaking retarded.

You want to restart the economy in California? Build desalination plants.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

Desalinization plants are a good idea, but I don't see why you're trying to vent at environmentalists.

Fresh water availability is at the TOP of the list of issues for the 'econazis', as you call them. You can't drink water that's contaminated...

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
One of the few perks of living in Wisconsin is the fact that we are surrounded by two of the largest fresh water bodies in the world, not to mention the countless lakes and streams.

When it really hits the fan, water is going to be the planet's most valuable resource, bar none.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Wow, Star and Flagged!!!

Totally unaware there was a water shortage down there.

This is yet another reason for mass boarder crossing and they just keep growing in number.

It will not be long now until 100,000+ people cross the border at once.

Then it's martial law and gun control!!!

But to protect us of course.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is interesting!
In Sydney we have just had easing of our water restrictions recently. I cant speak for what happens in other parts of the world, but I thought that I should share our "slant" on this matter.
Our Dam; Thw Warragamba, ws reported to have dropped to levels of about 49%, and thus, only had a estimated timetable of how much drinkable water was present.
The interesting things are:
1) When ever it rained, it would seem to miraculously miss the catchment areas
2) The high of retaining walls around the immediate dam catchment where heightened approx. 7 years ago; which is a little known fact in the general public
3) Talkback radio would occasionally raise the topic for discussion, where locals living in close proximity to the dam and catchments would call up and claim that not only had it rained heavily over the catchments, but that the catchments were about 3/4 full- contrary to network weather reports
4) The local government was trying to win public favour for the construction of a De-salination Plant
5) A sydney water worker personally told me there had not been any maintenance on pre-existing pipelines, since privatization of the Sydney Water Utility, approx. 15 years- therefore, many thousands of litres were being lost 24/7 due to leakage
6) It all fits in very well in the fear mechanisms, put in place to subdue the publics beliefs that they had better embrace "Green" industries, or pay the price environmentally- "Clean Coal"
Give Me A Break!!!!

So there you have it. Thats Government "Water" spin; Australian Style.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This water shortage in Mexico City will be interesting to watch as Mexico City is one of the most international cities on the planet - large percentage of very wealthy foreign nationals and global corporatists living there so everyone has a stake and an interest there. Will be interesting to see which sections of this enormous city are shut down the most often.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This story is confusing. Surely shutting one of presumably numerous pipes does not result in a complete stop of the water flow, but only a lowering of pressure or something. Clarification is needed on this.

I could cope with reduced pressure, but could not go more than a few hours with a complete shutdown. Just think of the toilet for one!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't know but I'm guessing that in this area everyone doesn't run around toting bottled water like we do in America. Hopefully these people were able to put aside what they need to get through the days that the water is shut off.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

OMG, that is going to cause huge riots and an uproar! did I get it right... they will turn on the water next Weds? That is completely outrageous!

Talk about diseases among other things, spreading fast without any sanitation.

How can govts. be so bad in their critical thinking ahead? You would think with the various technologies out there, countries would have started a desalination plant etc for making sure water is supplied with or without rain.

Sickening, those poor people! I would also wager a bet, it is those who are the poorest of the poor who have had the water cut off.... I would bet the very wealthy, still have their water.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

All I can say - is
so it begins...
droughts are everywhere -
by design I suspect.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The county of Los Angeles Calif wastes more water then they will be short this year.

There aquaduct system is so antiquated and build of concrete that it leaks more then it should from cracks in the concrete.
there aquaduct have no sealing layer and there there oldest aquaduct pipe has been through many earthquakes in its 100 years and has never had any sealing layer applied.

There newer aquaducts are not in much better shape and do not have sealing layers ether.

This system leaks over a 3 million gal a day in the 419 miles of the system.

All of this is costing rate payer million of dollars in lost water.

en.wikipedia.org...
books.google.com... 8&hl=en&ei=o9DeSc2PN9zgnQeo_o23CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=16#PPA366,M1

part of this system failed years ago killing at least 450 on March 12, 1928

www.sespe.com...

another part almost failed in 1971 and would have killed 1000s or more if it had.

libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov...|San+Fernando|Earthquake|1971
The LADWP has no plans to upgrade or to repair any of this system and it will just get worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This might be a sucky idea but I think we need to think of humans before lawns and carwashes to preserve precious water. An unfortunate reality.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

Add to the mix the fact that the price of water went up.
Guess they can't increase the price when there is plenty of it.

It's always handy to look at what they do rather than what they say.

They were fear mongering about our decreased water levels in Warragamba and yet they won't put a stop to IMMIGRATION where most new arrivals settle in....you guessed it SYDNEY.

So it there is not enough water (supposedly) for the current population of Sydney, you would think it would be emergency where they would stop new arrivals from coming here and adding to the burden.

They haven't done this, so it's just a load of crap as far as I'm concerned.

They wanted extra money and also to privatise it.
By making it look like the water scarce , it would have made it more alluring for the private companies to buy into it so they could charge a lot more money for it.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
reply to post by KRISKALI777

Add to the mix the fact that the price of water went up.
Guess they can't increase the price when there is plenty of it.

Ah yes - keep the folks in a place of lack.
And charge them lots when they can't afford it.
I will always remember when I first realized what
pathetic little creatures this species can really be.
There was an earthquake -
no access to drinking water -
and the bastards who had a little charged 5 bucks for a gallon of it.
Now it's all just happening on a larger scale -
I have a feeling those in "power" will have plenty of water to use.
Pathetic.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
5 dollars a gallon to thirsty victims of an earthquake is outrageous and cruel.

Makes you wonder though if this "water drought" in Mexico is to prepare the people for a privisation of their water supply a bit further down the line.
Seems they are using the same tactics as has been tried elsewhere where it has already happened.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Hundreds of water trucks have been deployed in the areas worst affected by the cuts. The local government says it will carry out emergency repairs to the water supply network. More than 50% of the water carried by the pipeline leaks out before it reaches its destination. This is the third time the capital has faced such a drastic form of water rationing this year, the BBC's Stephen Gibbs in Mexico City reports.

so water is still available, in a limited way, just not through the pipe sytem
see the bbc article for more info
news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join