It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Death Star' Poised for Supernova Detonation Aimed at Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Australian astronomers have been studying an intergalactic assassin poised to wipe out life on Earth. Maybe. Observations indicate that cosmological curiosity WR104 may be a killer - and we might be the victim.

On the upside we'll never see it coming. The EM-burst travels the speed of light so the only warning we'd have is dying - which most people will accept is a little too late. The dinosaurs certainly did (some scientists believe historical mass extinctions were caused by similar intergalactic "life reset button" gamma bursts). Even better, this Earthicidal explosion may have already happened with the lethal radiation already speeding its way right at us. On the other hand, the big boom might not happen for hundreds of thousands of years - and might do so without a peep of gamma radiation.

Full Article Here

This is interesting, i don't know what to think of it ... the upside is that it'll be quick and painless if it even happens ... what are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It is now believed that this wolf-rayat star is not going to pose any problems for us.This is from janurary.Although it is indeed a very interesting star system.
www.universetoday.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
My thoughts are; Make the best of life while it is still here!

Do not fear, and stand up to spread the word about the truth about what is happening now, regarding the economy, eugenics & false-flag terrorism to take our freedom!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dee132423

that was in january, this is april ... i'm guessing as of right now they're saying we should worry? i don't know ... they just say 'maybe' not a definite yes or no ...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Like people who want to die from cancer, I would rather have it on a definitive date. Not all at once everythings gone.

Say goodbyes and that fun s00-. And have ALOT of sex.

I think out of all the "sky research'' there are probably a substantial amount of other threats out there with us in the middle of the crosshair.

Don't worry, some giant thing in the sky will eventually hit us.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
When the study was first published on this system it was in the start of 2008.Here is another article which goes into detail about the star from 08.So the janurary article is the most recent that I know of.Is the one your reading the original or a new one?
Don't get me wrong grbs are nasty little things,but,look at the data taken by fermi i'am amazed at all the gamma ray sources it has detected around us and the ones that have hit they so far have been to many lys away to do any harm.
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

[edit on 7-4-2009 by dee132423]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I wonder if there is some merit to this being a current problem, I say that due to the changes that have taken place with out magnetospere. any one care to shed some ight on this?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I saw you had the full article sorry.Well I don't understand why they are just now posting what was already stated over a year ago and they don't add the new data that more then likely this star isn't aimed at us.I love science because it is really all theory and is always changing with new data everyday nothing is set in stone.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
do people seriously believe this garbage? lol

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Thu Apr 9 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The Wolf-Rayet star WR 104, located 8000 light years from Earth, has been found to have a rotational axis aligned within 16° of the solar system, suggesting that if it produced a GRB, one of the jets might be pointed towards Earth. The chance of WR 104 producing a gamma-ray burst are small, and the effects on Earth from such a potential event are not fully understood.This is from wiki which I don't usually like to use.It makes sense though how could we know the affects if it did hit us.I believe it would depend on the energy output and if it is a short or long burst grb.We would proably survive a short burst although it would be a rough time because the ozone would take most of the punch which would leave us open to more particle bombardments.Now a long burst say 8-10 seconds it's hard to say.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by twizzleme

Yes people believe this garbage because it's not garbage.Do your research before posting inflammatory remarks.wr 104 is a star located 8000 lys from earth with a potential for a grb.Grbs occur everyday just usually not in our galaxy.Look up fermi and how much radiation they have detected.Grbs for awhile were considered to be in the running for the mass extinction of the dinosaurs.
Grbs are very real and awesome at the power they unleash.Some grbs we have detected have unleashed more power then the sun will release in it's entire lifetime.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I heard that if the Earth received a gamma ray burst such as this one might give, it would take 30 days for everything to die off and sterilize the planet. What it does is prevent cells from dividing, and the death would take several days to weeks to happen. It would be so horrible that a quick death would be desirable.

Another type of gamma ray burst could come from the sun, but it would take a direct hit upon the earth to do it. Mostly it would destroy the ozone layer bathing us in rich ultraviolet a/o toxic light wavelenghths, literally microwaving us to death.

On another note, certain governments have established doomsday vaults that are lined with many yards of lead and burried within mountains. These vaults contain every plant and animal species (seeds, sperm, etc).
That is interesting I would say.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I worry about all manner of crap, but mainly for my two kids.

I've travelled the world, experienced a bit of life as it were, but they've only just begun.

I suppose to be philosophical, we are all going to die of one thing or another at some point soonish. The only real question is, are we all (most) of us going to together or not?

Personnaly, i'd live for thousands of years if i could. But alas, not to be is it.

spikey.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by baseball101

I worry about all manner of crap, but mainly for my two kids.

I am with you on that part, I don't do all the worrying and planning for SitX for myself.... It's up to my kids to carry on anything from anything I do, just as I've done with my father. All the world troubles are going to be dumped on the children of today..

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I came across this article independently of ATS. I came to one conclusion and I'll share that here.

We don't really have the technology to precisely measure a stars axis relative to us.
If this explosion is axial in nature and is "pointed" somewhere. We don't have much to worry about, the axis of the explosion has probably been miscalculated due to the insensitivity of human instruments.

Even a trillionth of a degree off, means that the axial explosion will miss us by light years, when you extrapolate velocity over light-years distance.

More than likely an Australian Observatory is finding itself low on funding in a bad economy. Making outrageous claims of Earth-threatening explosions, is a perfect way to generate funds. Funds needed for the continual "observation" and "study" of the problem.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Maybe they're just "trying to say it's possible" and Eta Carinae, the biggest star in our solar system is set to explode anytime now with all the layers of gas the nebula's been shedding. OUCH!!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Imagine two gamma ray bursts at the same time. One would be sufficient to end life as we know it. They're coming out with some new data on solar cycles and 2012. Maybe "they're" not so crazy after all.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastxdance
Maybe they're just "trying to say it's possible" and Eta Carinae, the biggest star in our solar system is set to explode anytime now with all the layers of gas the nebula's been shedding. OUCH!!

Meant to say biggest star in our Galaxy. If that thing was here we'd never have been here.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dee132423

Good info dee....

Folks....IF WR-104 emits a GRB directly at us....it is 8,000 Light Years away!!!

If it 'burps' and just happens to be 'aimed' at us at that moment in time, we'll never know because by the time we'd be able to observe the event (that is, when the light and other RM radiation reach us) the entire Solar System will have moved on.

Now, admittedly, we ARE seeing it as it was 8,000 years ago. So, it may already have happened, and is on its way now. It MIGHT have happened 7,999 years ago, or it may not have happened yet at all.

Either way, space is really, really big.

The question is: How wide is the GRB? If it emits in a conical shape, then it's probable that after 8,000 LY of travel the intensity would be far less than if it was 8 LY away.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

We actually get hit by GRB's on a fairly regular basis. Fortunately their sources have been very distant. But you never know. It's kind of like that big asteroid, it's the one you don't see that you have to watch out for. But, like you said, with a GRB you never see it.

grb.sonoma.edu...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join