It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opening Day...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I'm fairly certain the Yanks will make the playoffs but your M's may have a tough race with the Angels. If they do make it and play my Yankees I have a seat for you at the Stadium to watch the carnage.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Happy Dance Time...

Mariner's have apparently resigned King Felix. Nothing official, as yet...but Law usually knows his stuff.

Gotta Dance...Gotta Dance

Now if we can get Lee to sign?

[edit on 1/19/2010 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Now that the superbowl is over...

Go Colts...

Oh, they lost? Ooops...my bad...

Who Dat?

Anyway, on to the important stuff.

BASEBALL!!!

Pitcher and catchers report end of next week for most teams...rookie orientation began last week...

Spring Training Report Dates

That can mean only one thing...

Regular Season BASEBALL is almost back...

Whether you're a Yankees fan (you have my sympathy...
). Or a Royals fan (think George Brett could help?). Or a Mariners fan, if not, why not? That special day is almost upon us. Opening day...

Doesn't that have a special ring to it?

Say it, again...

Opening Day. Like Christmas, only with green grass and sunflower seeds, and pinetar...a present that only gives, never takes...

[edit on 2/9/2010 by seagull]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
go mets

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just a little note from Mariner spring training.

By all accounts it's still sweetness and light in the clubhouse...

Griffey seems to be healthy, and happy...and when he is, the Mariners are.

First prediction:

Mariners win the American League West, followed closely by the Rangers. Though with the young arms the Rangers have, who knows?

Second prediction:

Cliff Lee has a monster year. Watched him the other day in his start, and I was impressed. Not in midseason form yet, but he looks like the Cy Young winner of a couple of seasons ago... Bedard is ahead of schedule...could return to the mound as early as end of May... That's one hell of a trio of starters... 1) Felix Hernandez. 1a) Cliff Lee. 3)Erik Bedard. Not a single team in the AL can match that trio...

Questions still remain though...

1) Offense. Has it been improved...? Yes. But enough? That's the question only the regular season can answer. It looks promising...

2) Fourth and fifth starters... Who knows. I sure don't...

Your top 4 teams come October in the AL... (feel free to disagree)

1) New York
Yankees... That's just the way it is. Until proven other wise the
Yankees are the best (god it sucks saying this...) team in baseball.

2) Boston Red Sox... Back to being also rans must really rankle...

3) Seattle Mariners... Damn, that feels good to type that...been far too long.

4) Minnesota Twins... Though without Joe Nathan, what's the bullpen gonna be like?

Regular season less than three weeks away...

Can not hardly wait.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Mets are bad and they should feel bad!

That is all ...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here's my prediction for this season - the Yankees win the championship easily this year, and then finish the threepeat next year.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

In their defense, I've never seen a professional baseball socked with the kinds/numbers of injuries they had to deal with last year...

That being said, Phillies are still the class of the National League, with St. Louis in the chase...

They're still playing to see who loses in the World Series, though...

Enjoies, my friend...

Even the Yankees, hey I didn't throw up, even a little; don't want to face Seattles starting three, assuming Bedard is back and healthy, in a short series, or even a long one... I don't think anyone does...

Well, Puljos might, but he's alone...

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

In their defense, I've never seen a professional baseball socked with the kinds/numbers of injuries they had to deal with last year...

It looks like last year is repeating itself already:

Beltran, who is expected to miss the first month of the season, said it would not be the same without Reyes in the lineup, and he knows how frustrated he is over his hyperthyroid condition. Doctors told Reyes on Thursday that he may have to rest for 2 to 8 weeks until his thyroid levels return to normal. He would then have to go through a process of rebuilding his strength and conditioning. www.nytimes.com...

This team under its current makeup has been cursed since the beginning ... if we're not choking it away we're ambulatory. And after Santana nothing but questionable starting pitching. I honestly don't think I have been more down and have had lower expectations going into a season. Hope springs eternal though, after all summer wouldn't be summer if they aren't breaking my heart on a weekly basis.

Ugh!

I am however excited for the Mariners as it really looks like they have something brewing this year.

Stupid Yankees got even better though, and barring major injuries should consider anything less than a 150 win season and sweep of the postseason as a catastrophic failure.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
In a Mariners-Yankees matchup, with all things being equal, it's a toss up...

Top to bottom, Mariners have the advantage in the following areas:

1) Defense.

2) Pitching (starting and bullpen), though not by much.

Yankees have an advantage in these areas:

1) Offense. 'course I know some little league teams that have more offense than the Mariners...

2) Been there, done that... Don't discount the experiance factor.

Call it even in this area...

1) Front Office. Both teams show a willingness to spend money. Other than the RedSox, the Mariners may be one of few teams that can match the Yankees dollar for dollar.

'course now that I've all but ruled everyone else out...

The Twins will win 120 games, and sweep both Seattle and New York, on their way to losing to the Mets* in the WS.

*feel better now, SDog?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'll stay out of this thread and let you guys live in your little fantasy worlds.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Fantasy?

If ever a sport was designed for fantasy, it's baseball...especially Spring Training baseball.

Everyone's a contender in early March. Come the end of May, now...then the story becomes a bit more realistic...

Yankees may be better than they were last year...much as it pains me to admit
. But so are a whole host of other teams...Mariners and Rangers in particular. Boston improved as well, though maybe not as dramatically as the other three mentioned prior...

If the Yanks get complacent, they could/will get a rude shock come Sept./Oct... Too many teams that aren't that much, if at all, worse than they are.

We shall see what we shall see...

Give me a darkhorse...

Mine? Out of the AL, it's the Rays. NL? Giants.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Screw the Evil Empire. Screw the Mets while I'm at it, and, heck, let me just make it the trifecta and say Screw New York.

I hate that city. Anyway, moving on....

GO REDS! This is our year, I can feel it. Aroldis Chapman is going to lead us to the promised land, a World Series victory over the Evil Empire!

I am allowed to dream. It is opening day(or will be soon enough) and we all start out 0-0. That record won't stay that way but I have almost high hopes for this season.

I do think the M's have a helluva team, now. Good pickups over the offseason should make them favorites to win the AL West. I don't think the Anggels can keep up but they still have a good team.

Al Central, who knows as that division hasn't made sense in years. CWS win the series then fold. Tigers go the Series and fold(bloody pitchers should have payed attention in spring training to their infield drills). Cleveland almost goes to the Series and then folds. Who knows what's going to happen there.

AL East, I hope the Sawx can beat them Damn Yankees and the Rays may have a chance, again, after folding last year.

NL West. Who cares?

NL Central. Albert, IMO, makes the Cards the favorite here if he is healthy. Who else can compete in that crappy division? I seriously don't think my Reds are going to do much than they have in recent years, which is fourth or fifth place. Bummer, it's only been twenty years since they won it all.

NL East. Phillies, no contest. Mets will fold like they always do. Will be interesting to watch this Strasberg kid in Washington, see if he can help that lousy team. I doubt it but one never knows.

Baseball is life. This time of year is always the best. Makes me(almost) happy to be alive to see another season of Baseball start.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
If the Yanks get complacent...

When has that ever happened?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
T - 3

Yanks finish last (3 -159) and get relegated to double A.

Mets go 161 - 1

Mariners go 160 - 2

Blue Jays win the Stanley Cup.

Play ball!

[edit on 1 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I can't believe you pulled that song out. That is just horrific. Always a good chuckle, though.

Good luck with your Mets there. I must admit I enjoyed those late season bungles they pulled but I'm pretty much anti-New York so that's just me. Must have been tough to be a fan and go through that.

I wanted to go see my Reds play here last night but never got around to it. It was a bit windy and the park here sucks so blew it off. I wasn't really in the mood as it had been a bad couple of days. Oh well, it's not real, yet. Then the losing really means something and I'll bet there will be plenty. Hope the kid comes through, at least.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Love the smell of new grass on the field, the sun shining and s slight breeze out to left. Will the Cubbies do it? I don't know but let's go Cubs!

Phillies have Roy Halliday now; they will be tough.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by TheComte]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well...

Here it is... After much waiting and anticipation...

OPENING DAY

Whether you're a Mariners fan (Me, me, me...), or an Orioles fan, or you root, root, root for the Cubbies (I'm so very sorry for your pain...
), or the dastardly Yankees...or any one of the other teams that play professional baseball...

It's springtime, and the grass is greening up nicely...the sky is that particular shade of blue that only spring can bring us... And for one day, all the teams have an equal chance at glory.

Let's all root, root, root for the home team. Got my crackerjacks, got my beer... All's I need now, is...

Some Baseball.

Here's Buck O'neil singing my fave baseball song:

Crackerjacks

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Buck O'Neil Was a classy guy. He deserved much more than he got.

To me, tomorrow is the real Opening Day. I'll watch the game tonight, sure, but tomorrow is all the fun. I have to miss some of the early games to try and futilely get food stamps but I'll won't miss too much. I hope.

Can someone tell me why the fighter pilots fly in formations of four, instead of five to make the whole wedge formed? I've never understood this.

Good luck to all, except those lousy NY teams.

Aaron Boone predicted the Cincinnati Reds to win the Central. Tony Realli had a line that many are picking them to win the division. I have been a fan for over thirty years but I think these guys are a little high. I don't see this team being good enough to get past the Card's, who probably should have gone farther in last years playoffs had it not been for a weird circumstance.

Curt Schilling now works for ESPN. That should prove to be interesting.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Good luck to all, except those lousy NY teams.

The Yankees don't need luck.

Aaron Boone predicted the Cincinnati Reds to win the Central. Tony Realli had a line that many are picking them to win the division.

Aaron and Tony need to lay off the rock.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by AugustusMasonicus]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join