It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket ╪ Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
OK, so did North Korea successfully launch their COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE or not? (Sorry I haven't had time to research).

Talk about the most blatant Big Brother propaganda by the Western media ever! We've only heard "missile." Let's get it strait here:

rocket: goes STRAIT UP into orbit

missile: launches initially vertically and THEN flies parallel to the Earth's surface in a parabola

Questions? Comments?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't had time to look at the two dozen other threads on this topic.

I'll just go and start a new thread to reply to you.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
In my opinion, WHY does N Korea need a communications sat when 90% of the population is too poor to own cell phones or that type of device!!!! I read and heard it was a failure. Will they (our government) tell us the truth of what the actual payload the rocket carried? Who knows! On CNN this morning, it was reported that we learned alot about their technology, and it had developed much since their last launch of a rocket. Will they sell that technology to other nations or terrorists......hope not!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dean Goldberry

You got it backwards, I think.

A rocket is unguided, therefore it flies in a natural parabolic arc, like a cannon ball.

A missle is flown under either internal or external guidence, sometimes into orbit.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Well, the overall parabolic trajectory from point A to B applies only to missiles. Guidance doesn't make a difference.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK
In my opinion, WHY does N Korea need a communications sat when 90% of the population is too poor to own cell phones or that type of device!!!! I read and heard it was a failure. Will they (our government) tell us the truth of what the actual payload the rocket carried? Who knows! On CNN this morning, it was reported that we learned alot about their technology, and it had developed much since their last launch of a rocket. Will they sell that technology to other nations or terrorists......hope not!

As you sit in your comfortable home with all the mod-cons, using the internet and watching CNN opining on the North Korean Population. Do you realise that other countries invest and conduct business there? Is it possible that these companies may require the technology? You do realise that NGO's are there.

What business is it of yours if a sovereign country wants to launch a communication satellite? Of course, if CNN says it was a missile, then it must be.

edited for spelling

[edit on 6-4-2009 by deessell]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dean Goldberry
OK, so did North Korea successfully launch their COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE or not? (Sorry I haven't had time to research).

Nope. No satellite deployed in orbit.

Talk about the most blatant Big Brother propaganda by the Western media ever! We've only heard "missile." Let's get it strait here:

missile: launches initially vertically and THEN flies parallel to the Earth's surface in a parabola

Questions? Comments?

Wrong.

Missile: An unmanned, self-propelled vehicle flying in or above the atmosphere with remote or internal trajectory guidance.

Rocket: A self-propelled unguided vehicle whose flight trajectory cannot be altered after launch.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I can be nickled and dimed on this all day. See previous reply that refers to the trajectory and terminus of the rocket versus the missile. The former goes strait up, or certainly primarily, and the latter flies like a jet.

add: Obviously this is in terms of public perception; not technical definitions.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Dean Goldberry]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There's obviously something Pyongyang will (or would) be able to do with that satellite that they hadn't previously. Too bad the government-media doesn't have enough courage to admit it.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Dean Goldberry]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I can be nickled and dimed on this all day. See previous reply that refers to the trajectory and terminus of the rocket versus the missile. The former goes strait up, or certainly primarily, and the latter flies like a jet.

add: Obviously this is in terms of public perception; not technical definitions.

Sorry to nickel and dime you further, but you're still wrong.

I think you're confusing cruise missiles with long range missiles. The former can fly like a jet, the latter achieves distance via parabolic arc.

Most medium range missiles leave the atmosphere. ICBMs go the highest. IRBMs can be used to launch satellites with a bit of modification.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Being that this isn't professional journalism, I'm going with "rocket" sufficing for "rocket EFFECT." Thank you (all) for educating me that all such phallic objects are referred to as missiles today... Again I wonder what type of satellite they're trying to launch.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Being that this isn't professional journalism, I'm going with "rocket" sufficing for "rocket EFFECT." Thank you (all) for educating me that all such phallic objects are referred to as missiles today... Again I wonder what type of satellite they're trying to launch.

Read the first post again.

Questions? Comments?

I have three comments. Thank you for asking.

1) You're wrong about the thread title.
2) You're wrong about the distinction in the post.
3) You're talking down to a large group of people who know better.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

"Communications satellite" is too vague. It's all about what and with whom they're communicating.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

"Communications satellite" is too vague. It's all about what and with whom they're communicating.

It is sending to the earth the melodies of the immortal revolutionary paeans "Song of General Kim Il Sung" and "Song of General Kim Jong Il" and measured information at 470 MHz. By the use of the satellite the relay communications is now underway by UHF frequency band.

Can't make this stuff up.

Source: www.kcna.co.jp...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

LOL! Now I remember briefly hearing or reading about that recently. Still, it seems like there would have to be something else, er, classified about the device that would raise the hackles of the governments of the West and Japan so much. I mean, the musical propaganda by itself, with no other reason, seems too insane even for Kim Jong-Il, but I guess I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

So basically in the same way that Sputnik was put up in orbit by the Russians for the sole purpose of 'beeping' for the whole world to tune in and confirm they had the capability to put a sataite up... Little Kimmy just wanted a satalite that would replay a couple of MP3 tracks for the world to listen too... Wow, shame it didn't get into orbit now - would make an interesting little experement.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
They have failed to launch their satellite into orbit..

news.bbc.co.uk...

tech.slashdot.org.../04/06/0039222&from=rss

www.nytimes.com...

first time, (and probably the last) Epic Fail North Korea

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

It is our countrys concern what a rouge nation shoots in the air. Hey man, I am just giving my opinion. Chill

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Nope. No satellite deployed in orbit.

Questions? Comments?

Wrong.

Missile: An unmanned, self-propelled vehicle flying in or above the atmosphere with remote or internal trajectory guidance.

Rocket: A self-propelled unguided vehicle whose flight trajectory cannot be altered after launch.

If that is true, does that make the space shuttle a Missile ?

Because once it is launched they can change their trajectory from inside manually like a computer chip could a missile.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

If that is true, does that make the space shuttle a Missile ?

Because once it is launched they can change their trajectory from inside manually like a computer chip could a missile.

I believe it does. A manned missile. Along the same lines as a cruise missile. Guided and control.

What N Korea launched was considered a lawn dart!

top topics

join