It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of car to get???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Oh, you mean my MOTHERS car.
Yes, she really had one.
The luckiest car to even have been classed as an automobile.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Following an accident a few years ago I bought a "cherished" Volvo S80. We did our research all on the internet. Volvos are built like tanks, they've got a good gearbox & engine and with proper servicing my own should do me another few years until old age forces me to give up driving altogether.

Volvo's seem really unpopular on the second hand market. So you might be able to get a real bargain. But they're not exactly a trendy car for a younger person ... but who says you need to be trendy ? A trendier alternative might be a Saab ?

But if it's cheap, reliable and takes you safely from A-B who says you need to be trendy ?

My only advice would be to read the consumer reviews online, see what other owners say and when you find a car you like ensure you see the service book to make sure it's been properly looked after. And possibly phone the previous owner too to see if it has any issues.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
How about a Honda Accord?
They are a good, reliable and economical car.

You should pick up a one or two year old car for a good price.

I was going to suggest a Ford Mondeo but I don't think they sell them in America (I asume you're American).

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have been looking into buying a car, too, although in my case it will definitely be a used car. The value of a new car depreciates so quickly, it just isn't worth it. Plus I hate that "new car smell"--it is actually the smell of various toxic components outgassing.

I checked Consumer Reports for a list of reliable used cars, and the only Ford car (I didn't check for trucks or vans) on their list was the Ford Fusion. I've owned a few Fords in the past, and they tended to have pretty severe front-end issues. Sportiness isn't an issue for me, but I would really like something with 4WD because I am SICK of getting stuck in the snow every winter, something along the lines of a Pontiac Vibe or Mitsubishi Gallant...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I finally got a rental today (hell of a hassle), and got the official word from State Farm that mine is totaled.

I'll end up getting around $5500 for it, which isn't bad.

I am set up to test drive a couple of certified pre-owned cars tomorrow (a 2005 Accord, a 2007 Civic, and the PT Cruiser I was looking at....all at the same dealership), and hopefully things will be back to normal by the end of the week.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Wow, such a nice and thoughtful person and no thank yous?

A lot of people here made an, above the par, effort to give some priceless advice. (btw I'm still waiting on a reply to my u2u)

Well... best of luck to you S1.

I have nothing pleasant left to say

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I agree with the others who said Toyotas and Hondas are reliable long-lasting cars. We bought a year old Camry with about 28k km (~16 miles) on it, and it's a great car. We'd buy another Toyota in a heartbeat. It's good on gas, even when I average 120 km/h on the highway and also do a fair bit of city driving.

Consumer Reports was the best online resource we found, and it's one of the reasons we bought a Camry. Good advice.

I wouldn't buy a PT Cruiser - very poor ratings on CR. Not reliable, and I heard on CBC Radio that it's being discontinued (after this year I think?).

Hondas and Mazdas have ratings much like Toyota. I'd be hesitant about buying a North American car right now. I did have a Ford Tempo for several years, but I had to replace the clutch and had lots of small issues. Aside from basic maintenance, our Camry has been issue-free. When our mileage started to drop a bit, we changed the air intake filter, and it went back up again.

I don't know much about Volkswagens except that I drove a couple of Beetles when I was a lot younger; very tough little cars, and the second one I drove (with a stick shift) went through mudholes (lived in the country then) that even 1/2 tons were getting stuck in. It was great! Super mileage too.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Godweed

It's nice being light enough to float through the mud holes.

@Skeppy
But one more think about the Cruisers are that they just feel funny driving. The handling is just weird. My opinion and you know I am senile.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
glad to hear your ok!!!
i also rolled my vw bug several years ago from falling asleep at the wheel. i also crossed the center line on a major trucking highway.

check out the VW GTI cars. they are basically built on an audi TT platform. from the body-pan/frame, to the engine and the tune on the engine. so your basically getting an audi TT with a GTI body.

makes great power, is very comfortable and handles like a dream. and you don't have to pay all that audi cash!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
if you like hatch backs- get a toyota matrix
if you dont like hatchbacks- get a toyota carolla
if you dont like those- get a toyota celica

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A trifle late I realize, however I have a friend who owns a used KIA and they seem to be pretty good. Nice warranty, nice mileage. Something to think about.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join