It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is NLP and how does the media use it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Now, before you jump on me and say "you didn't research it" I have researched it but I don't still understand it. Is it like the power of perception or something? What good resources are there to help me understand what it is?

I've looked at several websites and I still don't completely get it.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It may sound silly, but "NLP for Dummies" by Romilla Ready is actually pretty good. Also check out the books "Neurolinguistic Programming: The Study of the Structure of Subjective Experience" or "Structure of Magic" vols. 1 and 2. by Richard Bandler and John Grinder.

In short, NLP is a form of clinical hypnosis.

It focuses on every aspect of human communication, with an emphasis on the subconscious effects of body language, voice tonality, facial expressions and gestures.

Regardless of whether or not you believe in hypnosis or not, NLP is something worth checking out. Like it or not, your brain picks up on subconscious cues and communication patterns, and it is in your best interest to learn how others are using this to their advantage, and how you can also.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by nasdack24k]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I would describe it as subliminal messages hidden in oral and written communication. It is used extensively in sales in face to face meetings and in almost every form of written advertisement.

If you pay attention you may catch politicians practicing the art.

EDIT- I hink nasdack24k sums it up very well. It fihures that he beat me to the reply button and makes my post rather anti-climactic.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
here is a Youtube vid starring Simon Pegg as he is NLP'ed, haha. Sorry for the link and not the video, but Embedding has been disabled by the person who uploaded the video. I would highly suggest watching other videos by Derren Brown because he explains it rather well, even for stupid people like me

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

WOW!
That's what I meant by face to face sales.
Notice when he took the guy's hand and put it on the table? That guy had no idea it happened, no idea his hand was pinned. And that is the point when Derren took full control.

So beware of "touchy" salespeople.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
OK, it didn't take long to find an example of NLP in politics.

I just read a thread here on ats.

The thread is about a poll on the Lou Dobbs Tonight show.

The poll read as follows:

"Are you excited that a "New World Order" is emerging or concerned about America's sovereignty?"

I repeat my reply:

Notice the way the question was asked.

They paired the positive emotion "excited" with the affirmative statement "a New World Order is emerging" and "concerned", a negative emotion, paired with "America's sovereignty".

They could have asked "Are you concerned a NWO will emerging from current events and threaten America's sovereignty? Yes or No?"

But that would make you stop and think about the question in a different light, and perhaps wake up!

So no, they attempt to shape opinion with carefully phrased question.

And I was just posting in a thread about NLP here on ATS.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Hi Frank.

All great responses... The power of the spoke word is amazing...

Check out Darren Brown on his use of NLP. His many videos show what to look for and how the media use it to target you the consumer in various aspects of life.

It's really a great communications tool if used wisely.

Rgds

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Alright, I got a book on NLP.

I'm reading it right now. It's fairly interesting. I'm still not sure about how the media use it. What do people mean what they say when they are talking about the media using NLP? NLP seems like a very good way of influencing people to change bad habits and since you're not a therapist you don't have to follow the rules of therapy so you could use it sometimes to your advantage. I'm still not completely sure about what people mean when they say the media uses NLP. Are they just talking about spin?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Its not a good idea to have ATS be your sole source of Information. Otherwise you'll come out thinking NLP is some kind of conspiracy or something.

NLP was founded by John Grinder and Richard Bandler at Harvard University. It was originally based on studying behavioral and speech patterns of successful people of different areas of business and therapy in the belief that a set of techniques could be derived from such patterns.

It then developed into a self-help-seminar movement and split off into many motivational-coaching, spiritual-coaching, management-coaching type of things. One of the most successful derivations of NLP is taught by Anthony Robbins.

Rather than "teach manipulation of people" as claimed by many on this site, it teaches how to DETECT attempted manipulation and also to manipulate your own mind toward more positive results.

Learning a few things from it can make you immune to manipulation.

NLP is not as good as it is made up to me but not nearly as bad as it is made up to be by others.

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I taught NLP-Classes 7 years ago.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I believe all this hub bub about the whole Obama uses the NLP. Every time I here him talking I run to the TV and beat my head against it until he stops talking. Besides that aren't some people not susceptible to hypnosis.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Obama isn't using NLP. He's using psychological persuasion or something which is completely different. NLP is a therapeutic way of helping people to change their negative beliefs and get them to view the world in a more positive way. If Obama is doing that it can't be so bad can it? I don't think he is using NLP but people are trying to say that he is using mind control and they're using NLP as the device or technique he's using.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

My thoughts are that if it influences a person it could be a bad thing or a good thing. It would be a tool used by someone to get a desired effect.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Here's an example of Obama's use of NLP Frank. He uses it quite extensively...
As I've mentioned in other threads, he's had at least one person faint during his speeches during his rallies. This is from his use of words... using NLP.

He is quite good at it... The link above describes in detail how he uses his mastery of the english language to create a new reality for you...

Check out Milton Erickson's books... He was the inspiration for Bandler and Grinder and also Rossi... Robbins in my opinion is just using this as a money maker... the info is out there freely available and you shouldn't have to go to a seminar to learn the secret of success. NLP can teach the person to use his environment to better himself while assisting others, should they wish. You can also manipulate to the person's disadvantage and your advantage... but everything seems to have a way of going to the bad side eh???

Rgds

[edit on 4-4-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
R. Jeffries is the one to look into.
It's very seducing information. hehe

If you could imagine how much you could learn by listening to what takes place in between sentences, you may find yourself becoming more and more aware of the possibilities and various ways that NLP can be used to enhance your own growth and learning experiences.

Now, if you're a woman and happen to be reading this.....

Can you describe that feeling that happens deep down inside you, that kinda tickles you, and makes you realize that you're awakening to some new and exciting possibilities within yourself....and when you remember these feelings, can you imagine what it will be like when you've taken some of that big and growing happiness that you feel and allow yourself to let go, and merge with that exciting thought, so that instantly, like POW, it awakens inside you leaving you feeling completely fulfilled.....

with me, it's not an instantaneous feeling but rather a long and slow building up, and a rising energy that eventually envelopes yourself, and before you know it, you've come to understand a whole new direction in your life.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by infoliberator]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by infoliberator

One of the examples of what to expect it to be used for in a bad sense....

Abuse of the knowledge... clearly...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether

One of the examples of what to expect it to be used for in a bad sense....

Abuse of the knowledge... clearly...

I resent that.

You obviously have not looked into it yourself.

Jeffries has a business course as well. And personally I have used it for self improvement overall.

I'll invite a girlfriend over and tell her about it, and she wants to watch it, and then tells me she appreciates that someone would go through that much trouble to learn something so well, just to make a woman feel good.

The example I used was intended to both reach out and cause an interest in this, through subconscious means, then to link that process to something seductive.

What I did was teach by example, that's it. When Jeffries teaches, you learn to pick up subtle stuff he uses on you, then you learn how it works, and you can do it for yourself, or know how to avoid the influence when it turns up.

Remember, there's a war on for your mind......and if you aren't using it, someone else will.

Maybe I should label your post as "judgemental"

[edit on 4-4-2009 by infoliberator]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Your use of NLP that you call 'a reason to reach out and cause interest' is a clear abuse of the power of it.

I have been studying NLP for approx 28yrs and have a very good grasp of its capabilities.... Hopefully your girlfriend isn't being taken advantage of by your WORDS of wisdom.

As to the war on your mind, your post appears to be part of it.... there are clearly better ways to show examples, if you have such a great understanding may I suggest you find better examples than to make the subject look like it is there for abuse.

Not my idea of an enlightening use of such beneficial power...

top topics

join