It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

scientology New Age Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The word Scientology literally means "the study of truth." It comes from the Latin word "scio" meaning "knowing in the fullest sense of the word" and the Greek word "logos" meaning "study of."

Scientology is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life. The religion comprises a body of knowledge extending from certain fundamental truths. Prime among these:

Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith. That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true. An individual discovers for himself that Scientology works by personally applying its principles and observing or experiencing results.

Visit www.scientology.org...

or see Tom Cruise Scientology Video
www.youtube.com...

This is my sort of Religion! what do others think?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by theflashor

I think it is the result of the active imagination of an erstwhile science fiction writer. I believe that L. Ron was surprised when people bought into it but decided to ride along and be a prophet, of sorts. The entire organization is secretive and vindictive should one decide to criticize them. This behavior belies their stated philosophy and says that they must have a lot to hide.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I think that Hubbard invent Lord Xenu to sell books. He wanted to make money on bestselling books so he invented a religion. I am sure he was surprised when people actually signed on...I mean really, a lord who sends 100,000 people to earth on DC10's and lays them around volcanoes, and kills them to release the Thetans, or spirits. I think it is a fraudlulent cult.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I recently decided to research Scientology for myself... and found out I was brainwashed into thinking it is a 'cult about aliens.'

I am not so sure it was ever meant to be anything 'weird.' I think that somewhere along the line, Scientology may have gotten infiltrated and screwed into obscurity. But that is just my opinion.

I think Scientology may be gaining following much like Pentacostalism did in Latin America, because it is providing actual Results to people that have been losing faith, or do not get any interaction normally.

I know I am going to look more into it.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Knew some one once who knew Hubbard and Paul Twitchell in San Diego in the 50s. He was present when they talked about creating their sci-fi money making scams. Paul Twitchell later created Eckankar and Hubbard Scientology. It is good to look at religion with a kind of scientific objectivity. That is, inquisitiveness as to what claims are made what answers are provided what structure and history a given religion has had. But fabricating a fantasy philosophy is something rather different.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Please do not get involved with Scientology. It is very expensive. To improve yourself by their methods you must pay expensive fees. Some people have lost their homes and all their life savings to reach higher levels.

Another thing is that they do not vulnerable and week week the among us. They believe one must not be week, and weakness should be destroyed. That is the opposite of the chistian/judeo/muslim value of charity, blessed are the poor, meek, widowed...and we must help them. Scientologists must rise above them.

Then there is the little Xenu thing...come on really? Who would follow this guy?
Here is a link....

www.scoop.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
L. Ron Hubbards son, says the whole thing was bogus.....

www.lermanet.com...

[edit on 4/3/2009 by Missing Blue Sky]

www.lermanet.com...

www.xenu.net...

[edit on 4/3/2009 by Missing Blue Sky]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i wouldnt get involved, although when i stumbled across their beleives etc. They mirror my own to a certain degree.. does no one else think that

go to www.scientology.org...#/intro_scroll and watch the intro..

Timewave 0 anyone?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I dont like anything to do with aliens taking over our bodies, its way too creepy. I read alot about this once, forgot most of it but I think they are taken over by many alien souls that must perish? Then again I could be totally wrong .

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yes... after looking into it, it looks like most of the advantages of buying into Scientology can be found for free, many other places. Like Theosophy, Hermetic Philosophy, Occult.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
No I do not believe anything they stand for. They believe in a philosophy of self improvement, I believe in a philosophy of charity, love and forgiveness.

Self improvement is an empty bottomless pit. I know that sounds weird, but the more you build yourself up, the less you like and love other people around you. In charity on the other hand the more you give of your self, the more you learn to like and love other.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Not nice at all.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The second video was very interesting...It was bizzare when the undercover reporter talked about the hour long session of staring into the eyes of the scientology facilitator...she said it even causes her to hallucinate.

Another disturbing part was the report of people who leave scientology and have very high instances of depression, suicide, despair and empty bank accounts.

In my belief system there is free will and openness, not all this control and secrecy...please look at the previously posted video if you are really considering this group.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
As far as the craziness of their beliefs, meh, well they are about the same level of crazy as most religions in my opinion. Who's to say that virgin births and talking bushes are less crazy than Xenu dropping people in a volcano. Also the 'In it for the money' part, well, many televangelists and big churches seem to do that to.

The real problem with them seems to be they are a very controlling and secretive group. If the reports about them stopping people having contact with families, stopping people getting medication, and those kind of things are true, then they seem more dangerous than most regular religions.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RubberBaron
they seem more dangerous than most regular religions.

They are not a religion, have no doubt they are a cult. Many will say all religions start off as a cult, this may or may not be true but this will never be a religion, Scientology when looked deeply into is not about enlightenment or the empowerment of the self it is about money, control, fear, loss of self and absolute control of the spirit.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
scientology is all about money

in the religion you only learn more 'truths' about life as you keep on paying and paying to be able to learn these 'truths'

there also has been some wierd deaths with former members

scientology is definitely interesting and there is a lot behind it that we can not see i am sure of this

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I live in Clearwater Florida, their world headquarters and they are a big force here. They have bought much of Downtown Clearwater, they sponsor a giant aster egg hunt and Christmas village here, but I will not take my children because I think they are intrinsiclly evil.

I agree it is all about money...that was the only reason Lafayette Ronald Hubbard wrote the fictional stories which created it.

Dropping bodies near volcanoes is much more violent and horrible that the other three monotheistic religions. Judaism, Christainity and Islam are based on respect for human life, charity for all and love of God. Very different from Scientology. Which is only love of self.

In Scientology you much purge your body of thetans, which is like purging yourself of your soul, and accept you are the most important thing and anything or anyone theat gets in your way is a supressive person. Supressive persons must be eliminated. There is no moral, aesthestic or good aspect to any part of Scientology.

The scientology creed is basically a legal argument for them being considered a religion in a Court of Law...basically a argument for why they should be tax exempt. Once again all about the money

top topics

join