It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G20 Thusday 1pm solidarity demo for protester who died.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

That video, lets see I here someone telling the police to **** off when all that they are doing is standing there talking, I then see the police in high vis jackets try to get past the protesters only to have that corner and edge surge with the protesters trying to forcibly push the cops back (that action is not peaceful). Eventually the line of High vis cops manage to get to the other corner where as the protesters move back a few paces the commotion still going on to the south of the cops and behind the front line cause one cop to stumble a little and in the process a protester rushes forward and kicks at him (the kick occurs at 1:42) in response the cop next to the cop who stumbles tries to fend off anyone who comes too close.

This action brings then allows the officers behind to get into a defensive formation. As things get a little heated the protester who attacked first by kicking comes back holding either a stick or a pipe in his hands (1:47) but the cops spot him and he backs off. Meanwhile protesters with harms extended try to push the cops back (not a peaceful action in my eyes).

Yes there are some loose cannons amongst the police that are present as can be seen to an extent at 2:04 and on some other sections of that footage (Like with women with the black hood and yellow coat).

I only see a couple of decent protesters there (a bald guy who gets behind police lines but doesn't show hostility or receive any as he tries to get back on his groups side of the line, a guy wearing a stripy hat (which gets lost in the event) as he is pushed back and forth by protesters and police but he doesn't retaliate aggressively towards either group aside from looking upset he lost his hat. A tall guy in a black 3/4 coat who stops the person in front of him from getting crushed but doesn't fight back but merely walks backwards to alleviate the situation a little.

There is also a guy with shoulder length hair (the one next to the person with ginger hair) who doesn't taunt or show hostility even though he is on the front line right next to the cops and not once do any of the nearby cops react as much towards him as they do towards some of the more gobby or aggressive protesters you can see him for the final portion of the footage from around 4:20 onwards at one point he even talks civilly with another cop who comes up to him for a few seconds.

Its noticeable that the people on the loud speakers are say "Please Stop Fighting" but that the majority of the people present aren't listening to them especially the protesters. If the more level headed and stable individuals on both sides (Police and Protesters) kept their loose cannon members in check better it would never have gotten as bad as it did. Heck if the ones who held their hands up stopped trying to fall in on the cops/ herd them back when the cops weren't watching at that second then the cops couldn't herd them in return. I saw very few of the ones holding their hands up actually conduct the appropriate response and back off.

You also need to fix the title as the guy was going home after working and got caught up in the event. He was not a cop or a protester but an innocent bystander who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it is sick and malicious to use him to further the agenda of those involved directly in the protest.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Marshall Ormus]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
hat group was peaceful all day, it was like and I quote "a mini glastonbury" The organisers of it had been in talks with the police both coming up to the protest and during the day. The police had reasured them that they were happy for them to be there. The charge was at both ends,they were boxed in, and you say you see them pushing back? the majority of people have their hands in the air, so I don't know where you're getting that from. I do see some people at the front, putting their hands up to protect themselves from exessive violence.

This has interested me as it goes. Because there seems to be 2 responses to this video. One of utter disgust at the blatent police brutality. And it is blatent. This was an incredibly happy place and had a great athmosphere. The other saying that protesters attacked the police. Which doesn't happen at any point. So that really confuses me.

here is the BBC reporter in the climate camp. Listen to what he's saying, he was there.

<< 1   >>

join