It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G20 Thusday 1pm solidarity demo for protester who died.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
In response to the death of a protestor during the demonstrations against the G20 in the City of London on the 1st April 2009, a solidarity demonstration will assemble at Bank at 1pm.

The aim of the assembly is to:

* mark the death of the protestor,
* call for an independent police inquiry
* show solidarity against the enormous police repression that happened against protestors outside the Bank, the Climate Exchange and elsewhere in the City of London.

Any witnesses to this event or any other act of police violence against demonstrators is advised to write a full statement as soon as they possibly can, sign and date it, and give a copy it to a trusted other party. These statements should be given to Bindmans Solicitors (contactable on 020 7833 4433) and the Legal Monitoring groups present at the demonstrations. Information can also be sent to Indymedia London: [email protected] (this is a private email address).

london.indymedia.org.uk...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
This is a great memorial for this brave freedom fighter who died.
It takes a lot of guts to put your life on the line for something you believe in.

It's good to see lawyers involved.
I normally wouldn't say that, but this time and in cases like mass rallys and protests, I think it's a good thing as it may go towards keeping everything legal on the enforcers side and everything done by the book, or else.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
this demo has just been broken up by the nazi scum police.

I could weep, I really could.

I am incandesant with rage,litterally shaking. i feel useless here miles away from London.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I've just been watching the BBC livestreaming news, and the journalist has just mentioned that people at the solidarity demo today have criticed the police for not acting within their role swiftly enough to save the person who eventually died...yet complain that the police of fulfilling their role and preventing a mass riot yesterday

Which is it...criticism for acting as they should, or for not acting as they should?

[edit on 2-4-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Here's another take on it...

www.guardian.co.uk...

And these two wanted to see the long arm of the law carting a few protesters away – because they had a financial interest in arrests. "I'll make money if they arrest more than 140", he said. Traders, he explained were putting spread bets on the number of arrests – with the quoted spread on Bloomberg at 130-140. They were also paying out on deaths and if more than 20 demonstrators are injured by horse charges.

The riots, they said, were only a minor inconvenience: "We've been in this morning, made a lot of money and now are chilling out".

cryptogon.com...

So...citizens of the world gather to protest inhumanity and injustice in the world, particularly with regard to wealth and allocation of resources, meanwhile bankers gather to gawk at them and bet on their incarceration, injury or death.

Nice.
Yes, as the sign said, let's eat the banksters...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
I've just been watching the BBC livestreaming news, and the journalist has just mentioned that people at the solidarity demo today have criticed the police for not acting within their role swiftly enough to save the person who eventually died...yet complain that the police of fulfilling their role and preventing a mass riot yesterday

Which is it...criticism for acting as they should, or for not acting as they should?

preventing a riot? They started it!! Had they had done what they SHOULD have done at a protest which is PEACEFUl as this one was. is stand back and let people sing, dance and chant their slogans. Butthey charged them and penned them in for hours and hours with NO food and NO water and NO medical attention. Had they have acted aas they should, it would have been a non eventful protest, like on saturday, where we marrched and sang quite happily. have you seen the footage from the climate camp? It's unprovoked and WAY over the top. Whilst people hold their hands in the air chanting "this is not a riot" Not ONE person reacted to the police, but they kept coming, kicking and landing battons down on peoples heads.

This is NOT how to police a protest, it's how to start a riot. But it's a standing testemant to the protesters yesterday, that they did not react at the climate camp. What good did it do them? None, they all got the s# kicked out of them.

NAZI POLICE SCUM

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

"I'll make money if they arrest more than 140", he said. Traders, he explained were putting spread bets on the number of arrests – with the quoted spread on Bloomberg at 130-140. They were also paying out on deaths and if more than 20 demonstrators are injured by horse charges.

That is farking SICK. Will the police do their jobs and arrest ``Traders``? He's a scumbag and anyone making money on that is a criminal.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Hmmm. The police spotted the man when he collapsed, went through the line of protesters to get him, and were pelted by more than probably by the same people criticizing them with bottles. I see hypocrisy is alive and well in the protester ranks.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Hmmm. The police spotted the man when he collapsed, went through the line of protesters to get him, and were pelted by more than probably by the same people criticizing them with bottles. I see hypocrisy is alive and well in the protester ranks.
onlythat isn't what happene dat all. They didn't see him fall, protesters did. Then the protesters got on the loud speakers to try and inform the police that someone had collapsed. this was IGNORED and only until the poor guy could be carried out, did the police do anything. that's from people who were there, not from some spun newspaper article. Only, it's been reported on the BBC. There were NO bottles thrown once the protesters had clocked what was going on.

[edit on 2/4/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The type of people that join the police are serial killers, and its proven again. Just because the police in england for the most part do not carry guns, they have plenty of other weapons they can use. Plus of course they can use violence, to destroy peaceful protests.

Police need crime to survive, so do you think the police want a peaceful society, your having a laugh are you.

Pure scum.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
the protesters got on the loud speakers to try and inform the police that someone had collapsed. this was IGNORED and only until the poor guy could be carried out, did the police do anything.

So as the protesters were busy shouting anti-police insults, one of their number falls, and the protesters suddenly start shouting for the police to help?

*looks up the definition of 'irony' in a dictionary*

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
the protesters got on the loud speakers to try and inform the police that someone had collapsed. this was IGNORED and only until the poor guy could be carried out, did the police do anything.

So as the protesters were busy shouting anti-police insults, one of their number falls, and the protesters suddenly start shouting for the police to help?

*looks up the definition of 'irony' in a dictionary*
what anti police chant is that? "whose streets? Our streets!" ?

Oh yes, well anti police. Again, have you seen any of the footgae which was just the happy people, being happy? Or are you just fine to go on lumping everyone who dares to stand up to the state, with the same brush? Just because a very small handful of people stood up to the nazi scum police?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Police say dead man ian tomlinson, 47, who was on his way home from work in a newsagents when he collapsed. #g20

twitter.com...

and this one from aswell from timesonline
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 2-4-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That tells you exactly who is ruling the people, we are nothing than marionets and expendable.

The road to freedom is paved with the blood of patriots and martyrs

That is my modern version of the famous quote,

The road to freedom is paved with suffering, hardships, and torture , carry on my gallant and brave comrades until that certain day…

Nothing can be acomplish without that littler fact.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is absolute madness.

On one hand, you have the regrettable death of a protester.

On the other, you have people calling for bankers to be executed/ eaten in retaliation.

Discussion has broken down- both sides have done things which are unacceptable. A swift return to order is much more important than fighting like uncivilized animals.

You people forget that you vastly outnumber bankers and financiers. When you join up, you can vote in any government you like- and indeed you did so in the UK for a decade. Don't bitch about the elites "controlling power". You guys control your own destiny, via democracy.

Next time bloody think before you vote... maybe we won't end up in a mess like this.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
This is absolute madness.

On one hand, you have the regrettable death of a protester.

On the other, you have people calling for bankers to be executed/ eaten in retaliation.

But they might be tasty, right? I'm mean they are well fed...and when they steal all of our money, we won't be able to afford groceries.

Really, I was only joking. One of the protesters was carrying a sign that said "Eat the Bankers"

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Kosmic, you might be joking.

But those guys wearing masks and trashing banks... they aren't. They would be more than happy to literally murder bankers.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

Kosmic, you might be joking.

But those guys wearing masks and trashing banks... they aren't. They would be more than happy to literally murder bankers.
Whilst spirits were running high, there were bankers on their lunch breaks who were speaking to these "mask wearing anarchists" and gave them some moral support. The people working in the banks for their daily grind, nobody has a problem with them. It's those at the top of the chain who we're angry at. Normal folk are NEVER the target of protests. (unless the goad the march obviously)

And please, can everyone stop bashing the innocent protesters?
Don't believe that they're innnocent?

Watch and learn.

yuo will notice who the bullies were, and you will notice the "evil anarchists" holding up their hands and chanting "this is not a riot" whislt being smashed in the face with shields and battons. You will also notice that these "evil anarchists" DO NOT FIGHT BACK AT ALL. So you may be able to see what kind of thuggish behaviour came from THE POLICE. And why people are now raging with anger.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Dont twist evidence and reality to further your own deluded viewpoint.

That video is of the protesters at the climate camp- which was almost entirely peaceful. They were environmentalists, not anarchists.

I suppose your viewpoint would be much harder to back up if you posted a video of masked yobs smashing RBS windows, throwing computer equipment out of the local branch, urinating in it and then vandalising the walls.

You wanna tell me how that is a protest against "the elite"? All it does is ruin a perfectly good local branch, at considerable cost to the taxpayer.

Ascribe blame where blame deserves to be ascribed.

By all means, call the bankers out for ruining the global economy. But don't defend violent, extremist thugs at the expense of the reputation of honest policemen. The only extremists I saw were the ones destroying property. The police were there to prevent them from doing so.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

There was only 3 arrests at RBS, it was a mainly peaceful demo there aswell, think about if there were even 50 "anarchists" there hell bent on destroying things that building would of been over run and in flames. The violence that came later was after people had been illegally herded like cattle for hours on end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join